Fine Dust
2046 35 2017-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterc90
lvl.1
Australia

We are flying a Phantom 4 Pro and a Phantom 4 pro Plus out in the australian Outback.
We are finding allot of find dust ( Bulldust) getting all over the drones.
We clean them down and use compress air after every flight.

i was wondering if people could give some adivice about some abormal places that we might be forgetting to clean?

Any tips of secrets of a good work flow to make sure the drones are cleaned and service properly after flights?

Cheers
2017-8-5
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Id say Motors, Vents, SD Card And USB ports, Battery Compartment, And Gimbal all around. Also checking sensors on bottom and front are clean and dust free.
2017-8-5
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Make sure there's no moisture in the compressed air. water and dust = mud.
2017-8-5
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-5 04:36
Make sure there's no moisture in the compressed air. water and dust = mud.

I'll be also careful with air pressure as too aggressive dusting off may damage delicate ribbon wiring in and around gimbal/camera assembly ...
2017-8-5
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If the problem is mainly in takeoff and landing, I would suggest pegging down a large tarp and takeoff and land on that if possible.
The compressed air is ok on some parts but a portable battery powered vacuum with a soft brush might be better in those areas where you want to suck the dirt out.
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to choose a good flying environment first. Clean the drone regularly and place it in the original package well.
2017-8-13
Use props
Tay1
New
United States

What’s the best way to clean a Spark?  Mine got very dusty on a landing today.  Dust on sensors and camera lens.Any help would be appreciated.  
2017-10-31
Use props
Tay1
New
United States

Also is internal damage to motors likely?
2017-10-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Tay1 Posted at 2017-10-31 18:36
What’s the best way to clean a Spark?  Mine got very dusty on a landing today.  Dust on sensors and camera lens.Any help would be appreciated.

Buy yourself a Rocket Blower in a camera shop.
That Is more than enough pressure to remove regular dust and debris.
For the camera front element, I use my lens pen or cleaning solution and disposable lens tissues.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-31
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Don't neglect the controller.  If the conditions are that dusty, the  sticks and other controls may get a bit crusty as well.  I've had dust make my control sticks act as if they had no center point; they just stayed where you pushed them.
2017-10-31
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I take off and put on my transport case
2017-10-31
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Peter,

There is also the hand launch and recovery method to stay above the dust.  YouTube a some videos on that.  Remember to always grab a vertical landing gear support.  A horizontal part of the landing gear can let the bird rotate around and cut you up.  

Fortunately, the P4 Pro and P4 Pro+ (plus) have a skin design to keep water and dust out and there is also the internal fan to thelp with that.  But as you are concerned, it can only help so much.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-1
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Buy yourself a set of fine brushes to clean the gimbal. The ammount of dirt around the flat cable and the hinges is always high in dusty environments. Every 10 flights or so I thoroughly clean the optical sensors and motors, paying special attention to the gimbal itself. After 600 flights my Phantom 4 Pro works and looks almost as new.
2017-11-1
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

After a long day flying in a dust bowl toss the drone and controller in the washer on the gentle cycle to get out that pesky driven in dust that prop wash always produce! DO NOT MACHINE DRY!!! Hang them out on the line.

Just Kidding
2017-11-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, I'd be quite against flying on or near dust/sand etc.. but if no choice then extra large Helipad pegged down to the ground with rods should keep 'some' debris down/away.
2017-11-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-13 01:07
I would recommend you to choose a good flying environment first. Clean the drone regularly and place it in the original package well.

You've obviously never been to outback Australia and experienced "bulldust". Despite the dust these areas are extremely photogenic so they're not places you want to avoid if you're a photographer...

Edit: I forgot to finish my first sentence; oops. Bulldust gets into everything, even if you're not flying. The drone could be in a locked car and still end up with bulldust in it
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-11-1 11:35
You've obviously never been to outback Australia and experienced "bulldust". Despite the dust these areas are extremely photogenic so they're not places you want to avoid if you're a photographer...

Edit: I forgot to finish my first sentence; oops. Bulldust gets into everything, even if you're not flying. The drone could be in a locked car and still end up with bulldust in it

Not to get off track, but could you show some pics of these events? I can't imagine what it must be lie. Would love to see some footage.
2017-11-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-1 12:00
Not to get off track, but could you show some pics of these events? I can't imagine what it must be lie. Would love to see some footage.

The original poster is talking about "normal" bulldust which is everywhere in the outback whether there is an "event" or not (I assume by event you mean a dust storm or something?)

If you want to see some events though just use google image search (australia+dust+storm)   
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Can you send me some bull dust? Ha

The only bull we have is quite the opposite of dust. Chuckles

But if dry, makes a fun if cheap frisbee. Let's see you fly the bull dust? Hehe

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-11-1 05:47
After a long day flying in a dust bowl toss the drone and controller in the washer on the gentle cycle to get out that pesky driven in dust that prop wash always produce! DO NOT MACHINE DRY!!! Hang them out on the line.

Just Kidding

I bet you work for the washer/ringer company, yes? Haha

Try the dry cleaning setting...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i think i would prefer the vacumn method .compressed air can force dust even deeper into areas.it must really be dusty there.please send some photos
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

repairman Posted at 2017-11-1 13:48
i think i would prefer the vacumn method .compressed air can force dust even deeper into areas.it must really be dusty there.please send some photos

What have you been doing, that dust needs an explanation with descriptive pics included?

A take off/landing pad would help alleviate most of that fine debris...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-1 13:55
What have you been doing, that dust needs an explanation with descriptive pics included?

A landing pad does not help with the bulldust in the Australian outrback. It is exceptionally fine powder and gets into everything. The compressed air technique is about the only practical solution. And frankly, I would consider hand catching, taking off is not as critical.
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-1 14:05
A landing pad does not help with the bulldust in the Australian outrback. It is exceptionally fine powder and gets into everything. The compressed air technique is about the only practical solution. And frankly, I would consider hand catching, taking off is not as critical.

Well, I guess that's the answer then. Catch the bird, to avoid the turd.

Personally, we have no bull dust up here in Canada, unless the bull dung dries good first. Haha

And that's no bull...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-1 14:15
Well, I guess that's the answer then. Catch the bird, to avoid the turd.

Personally, we have no bull dust up here in Canada, unless the bull dung dries good first. Haha

Just for the record, and to end the puns, bulldust has nothing to do with bulls.
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-1 14:23
Just for the record, and to end the puns, bulldust has nothing to do with bulls.

Yes, bull dust
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/bulldust

I was talking about it figuratively.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-11-1 12:18
The original poster is talking about "normal" bulldust which is everywhere in the outback whether there is an "event" or not (I assume by event you mean a dust storm or something?)

If you want to see some events though just use google image search (australia+dust+storm)

Ok thanks. Yeah, that is what I was referring to....the dust storms. I would love to visit your country someday. It look interesting for sure!
2017-11-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-1 14:27
Yes, bull dust
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/bulldust

I'll tell you what RedHotPoker, I hope you never stop contributing on the forum. Seriously, I really enjoy your informative conversation when needed, and also think you must have a great sense of humor! You and I would probably get along pretty well. Keep it up. Makes for things not being so boring.
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-1 16:15
I'll tell you what RedHotPoker, I hope you never stop contributing on the forum. Seriously, I really enjoy your informative conversation when needed, and also think you must have a great sense of humor! You and I would probably get along pretty well. Keep it up. Makes for things not being so boring.

Ok bro, that earned you a friend request.;-)

My Door is always open to DJI forum folks.

Well come on in. Ha

RedHotPoker
image.jpeg
2017-11-1
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-1 13:55

yea but aren't they flying in dust thats in the air even at altitude?
2017-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

repairman Posted at 2017-11-2 03:39
yea but aren't they flying in dust thats in the air even at altitude?

Good grief, I thought it was only at ground level, & being stirred up by the prop wash...?

If it's dusty all about, how can folks even breathe correctly. Have to wear a surgical mask or similar.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-2
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Australia is a wonderful country, so much red dust and so many flies just can’t be wrong.

Ahoi, Australia on the starboard bow!

2017-11-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-2 12:34
Good grief, I thought it was only at ground level, & being stirred up by the prop wash...?

We dont need no stinkin surgical masks....
2017-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-2 15:31
Australia is a wonderful country, so much red dust and so many flies just can’t be wrong.

[view_image]

Your pic, looks more like Moses parting the Red Sea. Ha

Dust so thick, you could cut it with a speed axe. image.jpeg
& I know a gal who could do it, easily. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-2 15:36
We dont need no stinkin surgical masks....

Geoff Yes, and oh boy, have we got the mask that You need. Wicked grin

image.jpeg

That should suffice. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This is what it is like