Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote controller: modes 1, 2 or 3?
123Next >
85461 85 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

IMPORTANT NOTE:

It seems there's a possibility to set mode 4 with UNASSIGNED controls.

This should NOT be possible!

It will result in pilot having no control over the aircraft.

It happened to me just a few days ago and it took awhile for me to realize what was happening (it ended without much damage though).
2019-1-5
Use props
RWD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-8-7 04:05
A fixed wing aircraft may get away to turn with only a yaw (slight turn) or only both elevator/aileron (bank then pull up elevator) although it doesn't turn out nice. A heli needs all 3 stick movements to do a proper turn while in motion, also the throttle for height/speed control. For a VPS drone like Mavic, the least is a yaw + aileron. For non-VPS drones or if you choose to disable the bottom sensors, it's almost similar as a heli which will require to adjust the height with the throttle stick. We can't depend only on a yaw for helis/drones without front VPS because if you're about to hit a tree few meters ahead and you choose not to brake, with only a yaw you will still head for the tree

Chose whichever mode you're comfortable with and don't look back (I knew one flymate who can do both mode 1 & 2 efficiently which I didn't bother to accomplish). I suggest you play around and practice with the sim, or download any free drone sim from the store. Try practice doing figure 8s both forward and reverse with the mode you're comfortable with. Also practice doing nose-in, this will help with your orientations. Need to advance further? Try a rc heli sim  It really helped me in the old days flying in all directions including inverted+reversed. Although all these sounds too exaggerated, you'll be surprised how these practices will help with your aerial shots and/or emergency situations.

As a new guy to drone flying, this explanation really helped, thanks!!
2019-7-2
Use props
SzczechzCzech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 708661 ft

I personally started with the default (Mode 2) and then tested Mode 1 which I am currently on most of the time. I guess it depends on how much training you put in on a mode and your muscle memory. When I do my DJI Simulation training (the trial version) mode 2 became too difficult to go back to and Mode 1 became more natural. When I go out to fly my mavic, I keep Mode 1now.
2019-10-9
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

I choose mode 2 because it seems best to represent the controls on a real helicopter and l learned to fly r/c helicopters in mode 2.
2020-2-21
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2425 ft
United Kingdom

Vliegende Holla Posted at 2017-8-7 01:49
Mode 3 feels more natural to me, maybe cause I'm lefthanded.

I'm left handed and use mode 2. What I do find unnatural is that you pull back on a stick to pitch up and push forward for down in a manned aircraft and this is not emulated in the world of drones.
2020-2-21
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hover-Fly Posted at 2-21 03:21
I'm left handed and use mode 2. What I do find unnatural is that you pull back on a stick to pitch up and push forward for down in a manned aircraft and this is not emulated in the world of drones.

I fly Fixed Wing, Helis and Drones.

You get used to the elevator control being opposite very quickly.

The Mode 1 Mode 2 conversation is quite mute to me. The reality is if you learned to fly RC  you used the mode most popular in your country. When I learned 40 years ago in AU mode 2 did not exist. Every radio you could buy was mode 1. So I learnt mode 1.

In the US, Mode 2 was the most popular and still is, so you learned Mode 2.

When I teach new pupils RC I recommend that they fly Mode 2. The reason is mode 1 is dying. The US market is the largest in the world and manufacturers cater for that market. Hence most new stuff either defaults to Mode 2 or is Mode 2 only.
2020-2-21
Use props
The Foxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1075869 ft
Brazil

I have been playing video games since the 80's but I am learning about drones now ... I am used to playing games in first and third person, that the movement is in the left hand and the camera in the right, for me the mode 3 was able to control with much more naturally, in mode 2 and mode 1, I couldn't move the drone properly and always confused the commands, it was just switching to mode 3 that everything flowed naturally ...

(ps: I say this based on the DJI flight simulator, because my mavic mini I bought has not yet been delivered, so I'm using the software to train)
2020-2-23
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10322858 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mode 3 here as well
2020-2-28
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Newbee with drones (Mavic Mini), but fixed wing pilot with about 675 hours of flight time.  I am using mode 2 largely because that was the default and it most closely resembles a real helicopter - EXCEPT up and down.  In both fixed wing and helicopters, you push forward in a fixed wing and push down on the collective of a helicopter to go down - pull on those controls to go up.  Custom mode on the Mini does not allow setting it that way - although a friend with a Mavic 2 (if I remember right) said he could set custom that way on his.
I am getting used to the way mode 2 works, but those first few flights, I was forever going up when I wanted to go down and vice versa...
2020-6-10
Use props
quanticchaos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58527 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

Know this is old stuff but still found it trying to find if people felt the same as me... I just swtiched from mode 2 to mode 3 because of videogames too.
2020-7-10
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Mode 2. I don't even like that they even give an option. If controls were standard across every device that flys, the uniformity would make things much easier in the long run. Could imagine when ordering a new car, "I'll take air conditioning, the V6, and the gas pedal on the left, with the brake on the right.." That would help absolutely nobody, but people are different and would likley order it. I'll never understand people.. The more I get to know people, the more I like my drone.
2020-7-11
Use props
Spikemixture
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49918 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Am I dreaming?

- mode 1 (left: forward/backward ; turn left/right | right: up/down ; sideways left/right)
- mode 2 (left: up/down ; turn left/right | right: forward/backward ; sideways left/right)
- mode 3 (left: forward/backward ; sideways left/right | right: up/down ; turn left/right)

or are these the opposite

Mode 1, the right stick controls aileron (roll) and throttle. While the rudder (yaw) and elevator are controlled by left stick.
Mode 2, the right stick controls the the ailerons and elevator (pitch). The left stick controls the rudder and throttle.

1st example is DJI settings
2nd is after googling "Which controller mode is best"   https://tinyurl.com/y27zeg9e
2020-8-31
Use props
fansa1c090f7
New
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-7 06:07
Custom - (left: up/down ;sideways left/right| right: forward/backward  ; turn left/right  )

I'm with U, it is more natural.  I've been a mil & comm pilot for over 50 years.  In mode 2 I'm alway turning incorrectly
2020-9-5
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Mode 2, what im used to!
2020-9-25
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

I voted Mode 2, this is the mode i am most used to, although i have thought about trying the custom controller settings, But, only indoors.
2020-9-29
Use props
Ziggy Malone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22848 ft
United Kingdom

I'm surprised people haven't commented on using RC cars as a reference.  I used to play with radio controlled cars where the left stick was always forwards and backwards and the right stick left and right.  

Transposing that to the Mode controls, it would seem Mode 3 is the most closely aligned - the throttle and slide left/right are not comparable so can learn as a newbie.  

I say this after having tried to get to grips with Mode 2 on a few flights but in a pinch I always try to use my left thumb to go forwards or backwards! Might try mode 3 and see how it goes.  
2020-10-21
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I prefer the default stick configuration.  I have found it is far easier for log interpretations.  I have seen several time the log gurus on here say it is hard to interpret it.
2020-12-13
Use props
Operator7G
New

United States

I originally learned to fly RC helis with Mode 2 controllers, but since then, my muscle memory has been overtaken by my time playing on my Xbox. In gaming, the left stick of the controller is used for movement (forward/backward and strafing left/right) while the right stick is used for looking around (up/down/turn left/turn right), and this most closely aligns with Mode 3. The key difference being that the right stick controls lift rather than pitch, but it still works.
2021-1-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I use the default mode which is 2 because it easier for log interpretations.
2021-1-7
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

With lockdown and weather I've not tried anything other than mode 2 default. Just 4 - 5 flights so far and nothing far.

But I'm thinking mode 3 is for me.  With my FPS gaming of 25 years, it makes much more sense to my instincts and muscle memory.

Left stick for forward and backward and strafe left and right.
Right stick to yaw/turn left and right. With the only addition of elevation to deal with.

Gonna give it a whirl for real over the next few days, but mentally all makes sense already.

2021-1-20
Use props
djiguy93
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80410 ft
United Kingdom

Setting 3 here.

I think it was automatically more natural to me as the it makes it feels more like a video game/the way most controllers work in game engines etc. I know some people will say other settings give better accuracy or allow you to shoot some scenes one handed but I personally feel less stress knowing in a stressful environment needing to move the drone out of danger, the instincts of what direction of my fingers go in will be what is needed
2021-2-1
Use props
djiuser_s27VMgkxrYFz
New

Canada

I’m just getting into fpv.. I’ve been doing a ton of research but can’t seem to find an answer..

I think mode 3 is what will work best for me as I’ve played first person shooters for years.. is there a way to change the DJI radio controller to mode 3?  I only see a modes 1 and 2 option.. and I really want the DJI system.

I’ve tried mode 2 on a fpv drone sim and... wow.. My mind wants to treat it like a shooter and I’m totally all over the place.. not working for me at all.  

Any way to change it to 3?  I’m pretty noob at all this..
2021-2-26
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Yes, you can switch between the modes in both the DJI Go and DJI Fly apps, and even assign your own custom input combinations.

That said, it would be good for you to master mode 2 as well, as it would allow you to jump in and fly any drone in the future, even when you don't have access to input customisation. I've played PS3 a few years back, and switching between modes, depending on the device becomes pretty natural.
2021-2-27
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

I prefer mode 2 makes it easy to fly slow and precise turns for filming
2021-7-7
Use props
djiuser_etSrwT5pV76T
New
Flight distance : 2815 ft
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-8-7 06:10
I use mode 3 since I wanted it to match most first person shooter controls. Left stick matches perfectly, forward/reverse, strafe left/right.  Right stick looks right/left but instead of looking up and down it changes the altitude up/down.

I was thinking the SAME THING!  I'm going to try Mode 3 today and see if it's more natural because of the gaming I've done.
2021-7-19
Use props
djiuser_rUNoCbpAqG0f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462513 ft
United States

Still confused about m mode. I have no interest in changing my sticks and relearning movement. I would rather the speed restriction be removed and when i let go of the sticks it hovers etc. To get top speed have to put in m mode and now this stick does this and that one does that. The results is to smash into ground. When i leave an open area and go into woods, i want to hit the normal mode and have full protection without the sticks doing different things. Or have yo go loosen screws and put it back to spring. Idk
2022-1-8
Use props
Katie Witt
New

Australia

I have started flying fpv quads and dont want to get mixed up when I change between the fpvs to the mavic . Should I change my dji mavic to have the same mode as my fpv ? Its taken me this long to get used to flying fpv and I dont want to have a crash when I go fly my mavic ???
2022-3-2
Use props
djiuser_xBeL3w9n9BYa
New

United States

Mode 3 best suits me as a gamer.
2022-3-21
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Mode 3 feels more natural to me, because I'm right handed ;-)

I love the steering (left/right turn) on the right stick.
2022-8-17
Use props
djiuser_8bWQOLEYbXOI
New
Flight distance : 69813 ft
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-8-7 06:10
I use mode 3 since I wanted it to match most first person shooter controls. Left stick matches perfectly, forward/reverse, strafe left/right.  Right stick looks right/left but instead of looking up and down it changes the altitude up/down.

Nice, I moved from mode 2 (default) to mode 1, hoping for what you just mentioned. Ima try mode 3, I think that might be more intuitive considering my video game background too. Thanks for the tip.
2022-11-22
Use props
shannondrawepho
New

United States

This is the closest thread I could find to what I searched for ... I went custom mode and love it. But, I am fairly new, and I can't turn sticks in any direction or combination of directions to get a launch! I switch to a prefab mode to get startup, then back to my custom mode once it has responded (but not launched). Whatever the setting is for launch, I am not seeing it when I customize. Treat me like I'm dumb, and you'll be mostly right!
2022-12-21
Use props
Chrometiger
New

United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:11
Mode 3 for me being a gamer

Gamer here as well,  I have played elite dangerous for many years and mode 3 is almost a perfect match for how ships fly in game.
2022-12-29
Use props
AZ Tony
lvl.3
United States

It had taken me 2 days to decide, being a RC plane pilot, and had learned in mode2, I was really worried about the up /down stick being opposite direction as I am used to. I set the M3P to mode 2 and have ran 8 batteries thru it, fairly comfortable. Just have to remember different aircraft, different control function.
2023-1-14
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515965 ft
United Kingdom

Im left handed too and ur right i cant use it any other way i use mode 3 too wen i try 1/2 i get confused
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 2020-2-21 04:22
I fly Fixed Wing, Helis and Drones.

You get used to the elevator control being opposite very quickly.

I also think lefties like me are more prone to use mode 3 because its obvious that our dexerity and congnitive proscesses are different to righties
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 2020-6-10 16:51
Newbee with drones (Mavic Mini), but fixed wing pilot with about 675 hours of flight time.  I am using mode 2 largely because that was the default and it most closely resembles a real helicopter - EXCEPT up and down.  In both fixed wing and helicopters, you push forward in a fixed wing and push down on the collective of a helicopter to go down - pull on those controls to go up.  Custom mode on the Mini does not allow setting it that way - although a friend with a Mavic 2 (if I remember right) said he could set custom that way on his.
I am getting used to the way mode 2 works, but those first few flights, I was forever going up when I wanted to go down and vice versa...

Wow thats sounds so unatrual to me as a leftie but i get wat ur saying
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiguy93 Posted at 2021-2-1 10:28
Setting 3 here.

I think it was automatically more natural to me as the it makes it feels more like a video game/the way most controllers work in game engines etc. I know some people will say other settings give better accuracy or allow you to shoot some scenes one handed but I personally feel less stress knowing in a stressful environment needing to move the drone out of danger, the instincts of what direction of my fingers go in will be what is needed

Are u leftie?
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_s27VMgkxrYFz Posted at 2021-2-26 11:22
I’m just getting into fpv.. I’ve been doing a ton of research but can’t seem to find an answer..

I think mode 3 is what will work best for me as I’ve played first person shooters for years.. is there a way to change the DJI radio controller to mode 3?  I only see a modes 1 and 2 option.. and I really want the DJI system.

Settings / control scoll down to diagram that show joysticks and there should be 3 options plus custom choose 3 i use 3 right hand up/down and yaw left / right and right hand stick is forward /backward /bank  left/right
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiguy93 Posted at 2021-2-1 10:28
Setting 3 here.

Could u tell me what flight mode im in if i just use my controller not the app  because on minni se controller there are no speed mode button
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Boffin Posted at 2018-10-17 21:01
Mode 1 all the way. That's how I learned to fly r/c many years ago so muscle memory is now pure instinct. Thumbs on top of the sticks also.

At the end of the day it really does not matter, just fly the mode that works for you but be careful to check the control mode if flying somebody else's machine

Exactly and wat u said about wat come natrual is right wats natrual to some pepole is alien to others
2023-1-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules