Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote controller: modes 1, 2 or 3?
123Next >
85440 85 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I wonder which remote controller mode people prefer to use, and for which reasons?

- mode 1 (left: forward/backward ; turn left/right | right: up/down ; sideways left/right)
- mode 2 (left: up/down ; turn left/right | right: forward/backward ; sideways left/right)
- mode 3 (left: forward/backward ; sideways left/right | right: up/down ; turn left/right)

I am using the default mode 2, but find myself often trying to turn left/right using the right stick. In other words, it feels more natural to control the speed and turn of the camera movement with the same hand. Maybe I'll be better off using a custom mode, or should I continue tarining in mode 2?

Single SelectVote, Total 289 people participate in voting
9.34% (27)
54.33% (157)
31.49% (91)
4.84% (14)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-8-6
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

I started flying rc planes/helis 15yrs ago in mode 2 and never look back. Like you said it feels more natural. Also I like the fact that for me it's easier to do piro flips in mode 2.

I strongly suggest not to change modes and stick to whichever you're comfortable with. In a panic event, the mind can play tricks on the orientation.

Just my 2cents...
2017-8-6
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

I re-read your post again, "but find myself often trying to turn left/right using the right stick". The proper way of turning the aircraft while in motion is a combination of [elevator (speed control)] + [aileron + yaw (bank control)]. If it's stationary then a yaw should suffice.
2017-8-6
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I use mode 3 and I'm sticking with it. No pun intended ;)

It works for me.
2017-8-6
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

For most people who have migrated from rc model aircraft they will probably continue to use the mode that they are used to.
I am in Australia and the majority of modellers use Mode 1, however some have found that on helicopters and drones, mode 2 suits them better.
It really is a personal preference for those who are starting out with drones with no previous model experience. I would suggest you fly with the mode that makes most sense to you personally and in a stressful moment is likely to give you the appropriate stick movements to get you out of trouble. But, in saying that, it also takes practice to make the correct moves automatically without having to think first.
2017-8-6
Use props
Vliegende Holla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1865751 ft
Netherlands

Mode 3 feels more natural to me, maybe cause I'm lefthanded.
2017-8-7
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-8-6 08:19
I re-read your post again, "but find myself often trying to turn left/right using the right stick". The proper way of turning the aircraft while in motion is a combination of [elevator (speed control)] + [aileron + yaw (bank control)]. If it's stationary then a yaw should suffice.

I've previously only flown cheap 3-axis choppers, where left stick controls up/don, and right stick controls rotation (yaw) and forward/backward (pitch). There was no sideways (banking) movement. This what confuses me now in Mode 2 - I sometimes try to yaw with right stick, and find AC going sideways

You bring up an interesting subject of turning. I thought that banking into the turn applied only to fixed wing aircraft, but when I watch footage of helicopters they too bank into the turn. This seems logical - if I only use yaw, the aircraft will continue for a while sideways in its previous direction. Banking would counteract that.

So to turn at speed, I actually need to use both sticks! I definitely need more practice, and a custom layout to avoid accidental mix-up in the paragraph above - (left: up/down ; sideways left/right | right: forward/backward ; turn left/right).
2017-8-7
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-8-7 02:24
I've previously only flown cheap 3-axis choppers, where left stick controls up/don, and right stick controls rotation (yaw) and forward/backward (pitch). There was no sideways (banking) movement. This what confuses me now in Mode 2 - I sometimes try to yaw with right stick, and find AC going sideways  

You bring up an interesting subject of turning. I thought that banking into the turn applied only to fixed wing aircraft, but when I watch footage of helicopters they too bank into the turn. This seems logical - if I only use yaw, the aircraft will continue for a while sideways in its previous direction. Banking would counteract that.

A fixed wing aircraft may get away to turn with only a yaw (slight turn) or only both elevator/aileron (bank then pull up elevator) although it doesn't turn out nice. A heli needs all 3 stick movements to do a proper turn while in motion, also the throttle for height/speed control. For a VPS drone like Mavic, the least is a yaw + aileron. For non-VPS drones or if you choose to disable the bottom sensors, it's almost similar as a heli which will require to adjust the height with the throttle stick. We can't depend only on a yaw for helis/drones without front VPS because if you're about to hit a tree few meters ahead and you choose not to brake, with only a yaw you will still head for the tree

Chose whichever mode you're comfortable with and don't look back (I knew one flymate who can do both mode 1 & 2 efficiently which I didn't bother to accomplish). I suggest you play around and practice with the sim, or download any free drone sim from the store. Try practice doing figure 8s both forward and reverse with the mode you're comfortable with. Also practice doing nose-in, this will help with your orientations. Need to advance further? Try a rc heli sim It really helped me in the old days flying in all directions including inverted+reversed. Although all these sounds too exaggerated, you'll be surprised how these practices will help with your aerial shots and/or emergency situations.

Have a nice day!
2017-8-7
Use props
Aqmal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119446 ft
Malaysia

Always mode 2
2017-8-7
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

Right handed but anyway use mode 3.
2017-8-7
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Custom - (left: up/down ;sideways left/right| right: forward/backward  ; turn left/right  )
2017-8-7
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

I use mode 3 since I wanted it to match most first person shooter controls. Left stick matches perfectly, forward/reverse, strafe left/right.  Right stick looks right/left but instead of looking up and down it changes the altitude up/down.
2017-8-7
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

Thanks, Nazar78 and others for feedback! (Interesting to see that Mode 2 is dominating so far)

I have a cheap-ish Polaroid hexacopter that I use for ATTI practice. Looking through its manual once more, I see that it has something that they called for "Mode 4" - the custom layout that Griffith described and that I find myself "accidentally" falling back to.
Looks like the stars are pointing to this Mode 4
2017-8-7
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Learnt in Mode 2. Feels natural so why change. Each to there own though eh.  
2017-8-7
Use props
fans7744acd0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

Mode 3 for me being a gamer
2017-8-7
Use props
idofuel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 476768 ft
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:11

C1, C2...you mean R1 R2? lol
2017-8-7
Use props
fans7744acd0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

idofuel Posted at 2017-8-7 17:45
C1, C2...you mean R1 R2? lol

No i use mode 3 for control and c1&2 for focus and battery stats
2017-8-14
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

I use mode 1
2017-12-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

2 is
2017-12-2
Use props
fansd2da7659
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-14 08:07
No i use mode 3 for control and c1&2 for focus and battery stats

I thought the camera has auto focus?
2017-12-2
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Mode one with c1 set to focus and c2 to battery info
2017-12-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Always mode two.
2017-12-14
Use props
4WDaus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

I prefer to use standard as it is easier to swap drones. Nothing worse than going up when you expected your actions to be left or right.
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always use mode 2.
2017-12-14
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mode 2, hard to break old habits.
2018-1-12
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

I think mode 2 seems to be more standard from drone to drone of different manufactures.
2018-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Use Mode 1 because it is similar to ISO mode for controls used on CTL.
2018-3-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-8-6 20:13
For most people who have migrated from rc model aircraft they will probably continue to use the mode that they are used to.
I am in Australia and the majority of modellers use Mode 1, however some have found that on helicopters and drones, mode 2 suits them better.
It really is a personal preference for those who are starting out with drones with no previous model experience. I would suggest you fly with the mode that makes most sense to you personally and in a stressful moment is likely to give you the appropriate stick movements to get you out of trouble. But, in saying that, it also takes practice to make the correct moves automatically without having to think first.

I've always regretted not to have done enough research before I spent all these painstaking hours learning to fly my first collective pitch RC helicopter in mode 1. It was already too difficult for me to switch to mode 2 by the time I realized mode 2  has way more resemblance to real helicopter control, in which all your cyclic control is on the same stick. And for learning certain 3D flying moves, not having all cyclic controls on one stick makes it a fair bit more difficult. So I really wished I had started my RC flying hobby with mode 2!!!
2018-3-20
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Norway

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-20 21:38
I've always regretted not to have done enough research before I spent all these painstaking hours learning to fly my first collective pitch RC helicopter in mode 1. It was already too difficult for me to switch to mode 2 by the time I realized mode 2  has way more resemblance to real helicopter control, in which all your cyclic control is on the same stick. And for learning certain 3D flying moves, not having all cyclic controls on one stick makes it a fair bit more difficult. So I really wished I had started my RC flying hobby with mode 2!!!

Thank you! Yours is probably the best-argumented answer for sticking (pun intended) to mode 2.
2018-4-2
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mode 2, natural after playing hours of shoot em ups on PS3/4
2018-8-26
Use props
djiuser_GHSAafNV9PBJ
lvl.1

jamesw Posted at 2017-8-6 08:49
I use mode 3 and I'm sticking with it. No pun intended ;)

It works for me.

Mode 3 is closest to most video game consoles, were strafe left/right and forward/backward is on the left thumb stick, while look up/down and turn left/right is on the right thumbstick

I suspect it'll be a more natural transition for gamers
2018-8-30
Use props
djiuser_GHSAafNV9PBJ
lvl.1

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-8-7 06:10
I use mode 3 since I wanted it to match most first person shooter controls. Left stick matches perfectly, forward/reverse, strafe left/right.  Right stick looks right/left but instead of looking up and down it changes the altitude up/down.

how have you found the transition? I've considered using the C1 and C2 buttons below the controller for altitude up and down - it would match crouch/jump on my scuf controller, that way the right thumb up and down can be assigned to camera gimbal up/down... thoughts?
2018-8-30
Use props
djiuser_GHSAafNV9PBJ
lvl.1

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:11

same question - how have you found the transition? I've considered using the C1 and C2 buttons below the controller for altitude up and down - it would match crouch (c2 - left) / jump (c1 - right) on my scuf controller, that way the right thumb up and down can be assigned to camera gimbal up/down which then matches look up/down exactly.... thoughts?
2018-8-30
Use props
Leon.
lvl.2
Australia

Most in Australia use Mode 1 but it was a pain in the arse, switched over to Mode 2 and I haven't looked back.
Must have something to do with being used to a PS4 controller, albeit reversed sticks.
2018-9-11
Use props
GolferGuy68
lvl.1

I am switching to mode 1. It seems natural to me especially when I try to just fly without adjusting altitude. Using mode 2 I always seemed to go up or down when I was just trying to fly at the same height and go where I was shooting for. This way, I don't even have to touch the right stick, unless I need an altitude adjustment. Plus, I'm left handed and that may make a difference.
2018-10-17
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Mode 1 all the way. That's how I learned to fly r/c many years ago so muscle memory is now pure instinct. Thumbs on top of the sticks also.

At the end of the day it really does not matter, just fly the mode that works for you but be careful to check the control mode if flying somebody else's machine
2018-10-17
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Using the default mode of 2. Just feels natural to me.
2018-12-8
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

i use mode 2, it feels natural
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

but don't swap to it if you have practiced something else
2019-1-1
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

Mode 2 but my I instincts seem to prefer mode 3 in crisis so I'm gonna experiment with that (I only flew for few days (7 hours) with it).

Contrary to other opinions here I would recommend everyone to experiment a bit and see what feels the most natural. You can always switch back.
2019-1-2
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules