Notifying ariport operator to fly within 5 miles
4654 14 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PROMOLOZO
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone here called an airport to notify them you intended to fly within the 5 mile radius? Whats your experience with it?

Also, DJI has a auto blocker in the app that prevents takeoff near airports... if you got approval, can you unblock your mavic thru DJI?
2017-8-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can if you want, if your inside the nfz then it won't take off. I fly near a local airport and instead of calling them i just use a little common sense and buzz around keeping it under 30 feet high.no worries....
2017-8-6
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

You don't call an airport to notify them. There is a section on the FAA website to submit a digital NOTAM.
2017-8-6
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you mind posting the link to that FAA site. Last time I called MIA they told me to do it through the FAA site but I could not find where to make the request. Also is that for an instant notification or is that for the one you have to wait like 90 days for approval??
2017-8-6
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well this thread is confusing.  Are we talking about flying within 5 miles of an airport/airstrip where the LAW requires that you notify them?   Or are we talking about actual NFZs and yellow zones designated by DJI that need to be unlocked before flying?   If just the standard 5 mile rule, DJI does nothing to stop you from flying - it's up to you to call the airport (and tower if one exists)....at least that's what I've learned from reading since I got my Mavic.  I welcome corrections....because I'm tired of calling airports.   I have yet to find one that accepts the automated notification forms.

LP
2017-8-6
Use props
PROMOLOZO
lvl.1
United States

Hope mavic pilots with firsthand experience with this can chime in. All the research ive done has become a bit convoluted.

When i check the B4U fly app, it has an alert DO NOT FLY YOU ARE WITHIN 5 MILES OF AN AIRPORT. Yet, when i activate my mavic, it says something like to fly carefully because of airspace.

So im guessing, the B4U Fly app info doesnt necessarily coincide with DJI's NFZ?

When i look at another map online, it shows distinctly 3-4 different radiuses specific to levels of authorization from red (off limits) to varying shades of yellow radiuses that extend out 5miles from the  smaller red ones.

I know it should be obvious what it means but in regards to when to notify the airport is the question.

Is it really a question of how high and far you intend to fly within the 5 mile radious OUTSIDE the center red area (ground zero of airport) that determines if you are within the law to fly or not?
2017-8-6
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Airmap - much better than B4U fly, and I compare it with DJI's map here -> http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map.    From what I can tell, there's no standard rule, as not all airports are treated the same.   They are not all NFZs, and in fact, most don't even require any kind of unlock or authorization...just smarts and a phone call.

NFZs are just that (red on DJI's map).  You can't take off - or you need prior authorization and an unlock from DJI, which apparently takes a bit of time.   Then there are a few other levels of authorization/unlock.  Some you can unlock with a connection to DJI and the Go app (yellow), and some you can just unlock yourself (green 'enhanced warning zones' on DJI's map).  By far, most areas I've encountered are just the 5 mile radius notification.  On DJI's map, they seem to appear as plain old green 'warning zones'.   No unlock is required, but the app does warn you that you are within 5 miles of an airstrip, and the FAA rule says you need to notify them before you fly.

I'm just staying away from areas that require any kind of authorization.  When I fly in standard 5 mile radius areas, I call the airstrip.

That's what I've learned - but I'd welcome corrections if I'm wrong...

LP
2017-8-6
Use props
fans1a49e750
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51893 ft
United States

My experience -
The local airport is pretty quiet except during ski season.  There are no commercial flights for a couple of months in the Spring and Fall.  During the summer, there are one or two such flights a day.  During the ski season, there are several flights weekly from a couple of major hubs on different days of the week.
I fly two places:
1. my back pasture - about 300 yards short of 5 miles from the local (low traffic) airport and about 4 miles from the local hospital heliport.  I'm also backed up against a very steep 800 foot hill which inhibits full scale pilots from flying very low over my property
2. the athletic field at the local public school, which is less than a mile from the airport and helipad.
I fly my fixed wing airplanes, helicopter, component built quads, and sailplanes both places.  I fly my Mavic at home a lot, and have to check the boxes and confirm before the first flight each day before DJI will let me take off.  I've tried to fly it from the school fields, but couldn't unlock it without an internet connection, which is unavailable there.  
I called the local airport manager last summer, who has flown R/C in the past and is possibly more reasonable than some others.  He asked that I notify the airport if I was flying a "drone" above a couple of hundred feet, but "just use common sense" flying anything else.
It's probably different in large urban areas, but there are advantages of living out in the sticks.
2017-8-6
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

fans1a49e750 Posted at 2017-8-6 16:38
My experience -
The local airport is pretty quiet except during ski season.  There are no commercial flights for a couple of months in the Spring and Fall.  During the summer, there are one or two such flights a day.  During the ski season, there are several flights weekly from a couple of major hubs on different days of the week.
I fly two places:

You absolutely need to notify any towered airport if you are flying within 5 mile radius, DJI allows you to do an advanced unlock in your account for up to 3 days of flying on real time via the Go App ( they will text you a token # for you to enter ).

Towers want to know what quadrant of the airspace you will be flying in IE:  230° NW 1.5 SM for 60 Min Starting @ 01100Z, Completing 1200Z, NTE  ( Not to exceed ) 400' AGL.
You cannot fly within 1 mile of a towered airport without a Part 107 waiver. Waivers can take up to 90 days for approval, with a waiver DJI & Tower communication is required.

Once your waiver is authenticated DJI will unlock the restricted Class B Airspace ( you can apply for up to 3 day window, and you still need to call tower upon start and completion of flight.

NOTAMS can be submitted using SkyVector and are in real time this is what we use for flight planning. Required by FAA Part 107.

SkyVector

2017-8-6
Use props
PROMOLOZO
lvl.1
United States

I swear these posts are the most comprehensive explanations ive found thus far. Thank you guys so much for taking the time.
2017-8-6
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Eg. Here in cz I guess you must have a radio transmitter to inform the airport - eg. I used Airmap and tried the phone numbers shown there. It never worked for me. (Nobody answers the phone - never)...
2017-8-6
Use props
Mblumster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61900 ft
United States

Here are some great websites to get more information... depending on your situation. Personally I use AirMap to post my location and time of intended flight.
https://www.airmap.com/how-to-su ... -notice-airmap-ios/
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-me ... ification-automated

FAA
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to contact our Flysafe Team via flysafe@dji.com to unlock it.
2017-8-7
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

I live 3.58 miles from a medium airport. It took a bit but I have the number to the tower and I just call them when I am going to fly.  I tell them my location, amount of flight time and my expected max altitude(always below 400').  They always thank me for calling and letting them know, and we hang up.  
I would say call the administration office of the airport and ask for the number to the tower so you can notify them of you flying a drone within 5miles.  
I cant lift off within a mile of the airport though.
2017-8-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-8 16:19
I live 3.58 miles from a medium airport. It took a bit but I have the number to the tower and I just call them when I am going to fly.  I tell them my location, amount of flight time and my expected max altitude(always below 400').  They always thank me for calling and letting them know, and we hang up.  
I would say call the administration office of the airport and ask for the number to the tower so you can notify them of you flying a drone within 5miles.  
I cant lift off within a mile of the airport though.

Next time you call, ask them when you can come by for a cab tour.  Then you can see what that phone call is all about.
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules