Battery issue since latest update
1043 20 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

The issue I’m having is that one of my batteries that worked fine prior to the update, is no longer functioning properly.  It was turning the drone on without me pressing the button, It wouldn't shut off, and It won’t seem to take a charge…it shows it’s charged after being plugged in for a couple of hours, but when placed in the drone shows only 1 bar of light and the app reads 1% charge.  It is less than a year old and has only begun malfunctioning since the update.  I did do the update with both of my batteries and the other seems to be working fine.  Has anyone else had this issue?

2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try charging it with battery 'switched on'.

Normally when a battery is plugged into charger, if the reading is anything at 95% or above, the charger 'assumes' it's fully charged. Now this 'assumption' can be overridden by switching on the battery (as you would when in aircraft), which will then allow the charger to take it from say 96% to 100%.

I do not know whether this would have any effect at all in the case you make, 1% is critically low, if not beyond recovery on a Lipo battery (but one LED lit represents 25% charge). But perhaps worth a try.

Or try a refresh of firmware with this battery fitted

2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 15:55

Normally when a battery is plugged into charger, if the reading is anything at 95% or above, the charger 'assumes' it's fully charged. Now this 'assumption' can be overridden by switching on the battery (as you would when in aircraft), which will then allow the charger to take it from say 96% to 100%.

Thanks!  It started acting unusual right after I updated 2 days ago.  Since you helped me fix my earlier issue, I was hoping this would be reconciled.  I'll try what you suggested!  Thank you!
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 15:55

switched it on, plugged it into charger and it stayed on for about 10 sec showing 4 bars, flashed the bars twice and shut off.  tried it twice with the same result.  I wonder if anyone else has experienced this
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

switched it on, plugged it into charger and it stayed on for about 10 sec showing 4 bars, flashed the bars twice and shut off.  tried it twice with the same result.  I wonder if anyone else has experienced this
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

I'll try to update the firmware again with this battery tomorrow.  I'm done with this today!!
I did refresh the firmware with this battery this morning when I got the RC issue fixed, but I will try for a third time!
2017-8-6
Use props
KrisUAV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73406 ft

Japan

After all that I have been reading about the new update, I`m really skeptical about updating my drone.
Is the new update mandatory?
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ChristineL, please make sure the firmware refresh successful and keep the battery charging for a certain time with original charger. If no helps, please contact our support team via support.us@dji.com for further assistance.

@KrisUAV, the firmware update is not mandatory.
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-6 18:34
ChristineL, please make sure the firmware refresh successful and keep the battery charging for a certain time with original charger. If no helps, please contact our support team via support.us@dji.com for further assistance.

@KrisUAV, the firmware update is not mandatory.

looks like the battery finally took a charge after 3 times refreshing firmware. I sent my drone up and not only did the battery drop from 99% to 83% in about 3 minutes, but I was getting a "gimbal max level reached" as soon as I started it up. camera wouldn't  move at all.  I shut everything down and restarted and it seems to be working.  The propellors rev when it starts up, and the whole flying experience seems to be more erratic, or faster....not sure how to describe it.
2017-8-7
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-7 13:07
looks like the battery finally took a charge after 3 times refreshing firmware. I sent my drone up and not only did the battery drop from 99% to 83% in about 3 minutes, but I was getting a "gimbal max level reached" as soon as I started it up. camera wouldn't  move at all.  I shut everything down and restarted and it seems to be working.  The propellors rev when it starts up, and the whole flying experience seems to be more erratic, or faster....not sure how to describe it.

my aircraft status lights are solid red as well, but when I took the aircraft up higher, they turned green, then back to red.
2017-8-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-7 13:19
my aircraft status lights are solid red as well, but when I took the aircraft up higher, they turned green, then back to red.

It might be wise to avoid using that battery, if it fails, the aircraft will drop like a stone. Can you post the record of that flight here using :-

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

This might show what battery defects there might be. Instructions are on that page how to extract files needed.
2017-8-7
Use props
fans9233f173
New

United States

Having similar issues with the battery after updating firmware. I can't get it above 40% and can't refresh firmware as it needs at least 50% battery life. Any advice?
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-7 13:19

Just as Aardvark mentioned, I do not suggest to use this battery any more. For the issue you referred, does it appear in other batteries? Is there any warning message in APP? A short video might be helpful. Thanks in advance.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans9233f173 Posted at 2017-8-7 21:49
Having similar issues with the battery after updating firmware. I can't get it above 40% and can't refresh firmware as it needs at least 50% battery life. Any advice?

Is there any charging signal when you connect the original charger? If there is charging signal but not charge fully, I would recommend you to send it in: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-9
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-7 13:25
It might be wise to avoid using that battery, if it fails, the aircraft will drop like a stone. Can you post the record of that flight here using :-

downloaded the flight plan to my computer and followed the instructions.  Do I download KML, CSV or Flight log?  I'm going to do flight log right now, I can click the other options if you need it.  Are you able to view?  Thank you!
2017-8-9
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-7 13:25

or do you want me to give you information from it?
2017-8-9
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-9 02:59
Just as Aardvark mentioned, I do not suggest to use this battery any more. For the issue you referred, does it appear in other batteries? Is there any warning message in APP? A short video might be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I downloaded my flight plan....is there information from there that you can use to help me?
2017-8-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-9 04:57
or do you want me to give you information from it?

There should be an option to share the results page on the forum here, so that some of the experienced pilots may share their thoughts.

But of course if it's close to home for example, you may not wish to publish that information.

2017-8-9
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-9 06:01
There should be an option to share the results page on the forum here, so that some of the experienced pilots may share their thoughts.

But of course if it's close to home for example, you may not wish to publish that information.

it is close to home, so probably not a good idea.  I'm going to attempt to get reimbursement from DJI, probably send this battery in and have them send me a new one.  The battery isn't a year old and I'm sure it was the update that damaged it.  I just went out and purchased another battery because I have 3 jobs on Friday.  The battery says "Phantom 4 pro", but from what I've researched it should be fine to use with the Phantom 4.  Can you confirm that please?  Also, Im assuming if the new battery needs an update, the app will prompt me to do so....do you know if that is a correct assumption? Thanks!!
2017-8-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-9 07:40
it is close to home, so probably not a good idea.  I'm going to attempt to get reimbursement from DJI, probably send this battery in and have them send me a new one.  The battery isn't a year old and I'm sure it was the update that damaged it.  I just went out and purchased another battery because I have 3 jobs on Friday.  The battery says "Phantom 4 pro", but from what I've researched it should be fine to use with the Phantom 4.  Can you confirm that please?  Also, Im assuming if the new battery needs an update, the app will prompt me to do so....do you know if that is a correct assumption? Thanks!!

I would check the battery using Assistant 2 for update, the App' certainly didn't flag it up, but may do so now as later release.

The 'Pro' battery holds about 10% more charge, so should give you about 10% more usable flight time. Just remember though if storing batteries longer term they're best kept at about the 50-65% charge mark. And ideally cycled every so often (once a month ?).

2017-8-9
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-9 08:20
I would check the battery using Assistant 2 for update, the App' certainly didn't flag it up, but may do so now as later release.

The 'Pro' battery holds about 10% more charge, so should give you about 10% more usable flight time. Just remember though if storing batteries longer term they're best kept at about the 50-65% charge mark. And ideally cycled every so often (once a month ?).

great thanks so much!
2017-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules