RTH problem
1700 10 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sirboo
New
Flight distance : 62923 ft
Taiwan

A few times my RTH didn't work and my spark just landed. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, as a new drone user, I'm curious if it is common for the drone to "have bad image connection". So the drone can almost not be flown because there is no idea of where it is. And there are even black lines on the video it takes,

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks
2017-8-7
Use props
Sinus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 201270 ft
Germany

Look here, maybe this is your problem with RTH:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=107454&page=1
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

RTH requires a min distance.  Too close and it just lands.   I think min distance is 30 meters
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your inside 20 metres it will just land unless you enable RTH for 20metres in your app if you do it will RTH at height of 2.5 metre, if it's flying higher at the time it will fly at present height, if it's lower than 2.5 metre it will raise to 2.5metre and RTH .
2017-8-7
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

The RTH issue is likely a distance problem and others explained

As to video transmission, how far can you go before loosing the image. Do you have a line of sight on the drone or are there obstacles in the way ?  Flying in Europe wher range is restricted ?
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

video connection is tied to the control connection on the spark at the moment, for some reason DJi spent all the money on amazingly capable hardware then under engineered software/firmware...(is an odd money saving tactic but watever)

i hope DJi actually releases a major spark update that unbounds controller from video feed, allows dual band connections, and narrow band(10mhz), better channel hopping and skipping  and band hopping with RC on OTG.   

i also hope they add in Smart RTH toggle,and faster reaction times to the spark's sensors specially lazy downfiring sensors which takes like half second for it to realize something isnt right starts lifting to avoiding, be nice also if the app beeped at me about downfiring sensors too close to something since during my gutter check i nearly scraped her belly thank got i have my C1 button programed to aim camera down, else i would have had a tumble..
2017-8-7
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

Today I forgot my OTG cable at home (took it out of the case to measure it's length in order to help somebody).
The WIFI experience was horrendous . Since I own 5 batteries, I experimented a  lot with frequencies and channels. Nothing helped. At ~ 70 meters I started getting warning about video connection quality, video lag, control lag etc. This is at the same spot I'm using for training since two weeks ago. Bluetooth off. I even removed my watch

So, for us in EU (CE standards cra-p), OTG is the only way we can fly this thing.
2017-8-7
Use props
sparkguygc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 230141 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-7 07:24
If your inside 20 metres it will just land unless you enable RTH for 20metres in your app if you do it will RTH at height of 2.5 metre, if it's flying higher at the time it will fly at present height, if it's lower than 2.5 metre it will raise to 2.5metre and RTH .

Not entirely true.
I usually bring mine home before the battery runs out (start coming home at about 30%) and twice now I've been caught out with the RTH.
First time, I landed it manually (I would say about 3 meters from the home point) and just before I killed the motors, it decided to do a critical battery RTH by going up again (to 30m I assume? I had set in my settings) so I pushed down on the joystick but I think it didn't have enough power so it started to flip over on its side with the right hand side props about to hit the ground, I had no choice but to quickly run over and grab it from the top, props spinning and it cut the hell out of my fingers.
Why didn't the bottom proximity sensor tell the RTH side of  the code "Hey, I'm already on the ground, no need to RTH"?
I think I'm gong to turn RTH off (if I can?) as if you are not monitoring your battery levels at all times when flying, you shouldn't own a drone imo.
Second instance was my fault, I was launching from under a "Gazebo" (Australian thing) and again, battery was low so brought her home like I normally do, flew her into the Gazebo and just as I was about to hit "LAND" on my phone, the RTH popup come up with OK/Cancel at the same time, I hit OK just to clear the popup so I could hit LAND (My mistake as I thought the sticks on the remote would override the RTH sequence in that split second decision) and anyway, she tried to go up to 30m! bouncing around under the Gazebo roof, same thing, I had to jump up and swipe her out of the air, cutting my fingers again.
This was my fault I know as I should've read the popup properly but again, i thought the remote sticks would override RTH but it didn't seem to? (I know I push down on the LH stick but didn't do anything?)
This was just one of those things and no fault of the Spark/DJI etc.
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

sparkguygc Posted at 2017-8-7 13:36
Not entirely true.
I usually bring mine home before the battery runs out (start coming home at about 30%) and twice now I've been caught out with the RTH.
First time, I landed it manually (I would say about 3 meters from the home point) and just before I killed the motors, it decided to do a critical battery RTH by going up again (to 30m I assume? I had set in my settings) so I pushed down on the joystick but I think it didn't have enough power so it started to flip over on its side with the right hand side props about to hit the ground, I had no choice but to quickly run over and grab it from the top, props spinning and it cut the hell out of my fingers.

There is something wrong with your spark so, with both issues if you just pressed pause your AC wouldn't rise, you could also have used csc to cut motors, also when spark turns over 90 degrees motors will cut, you can't switch of RTH , and everything I said to you regarding RTH is correct and entirely true.
2017-8-7
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Personally I see all these auto this and auto that to be marketing gimmicks or back ups.  RTH is a back up.... if I don't loose connection, if the app doesn't crash , If the sun doesnt send just fly the darn thing back home and land it manually. Simple, no software issues, no settings... just fly the airpl.. sorry the drone,

2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

For the RTH, here is a manual below for your reference, As for the video transmission issue, please answer the questions in the post 5#. RTH.png
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules