Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How do YOU determine no-fly zones?
1125 4 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

So I'm at my local bay-area park (California) where all the cool droners fly attending a drone 'meetup' coordinated/hosted by a group that never actually shows up (well, not the 2 times I went).  Anyway, other members of the meetup group still showed and, for obvious reasons, had legitimate drone questions, one of which was 'How do you know where you can fly?', to which I answered 'I use an app like b4ufly' which prompted scoffs from other 'cooler' droners nearby.  'That stuff sucks' was their best reply, which made me wonder, what do other people use?  I have checked the no-fly map built into DJI Go4 before, as well as the knowbeforeyoufly.org airspace map, but the different sources list different things differently.  What does everybody else use, if anything?
2017-8-7
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like using Airmap. They have very up to date data on what is going on in the area you want to fly. It also provides all the phone numbers you should call to notify about your flight.
2017-8-7
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Use UAV Forcast
2017-8-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yup, b4ufly is pretty awful, I also use Airmap and UAV Forecast. When planning for visits I use the online DJI map: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2017-8-7
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Wow, am I glad I asked that.  Both UAV Forcast and Airmap are better than b4ufly.  Thank you all.
I wish, still, the various municipalities could agree on a standard method of reporting their particular no-fly-zones to a single authority, i dunno, maybe the FAA... for instance, East Bay Regional Parks (again, California) have banned drones, but they (the park no-fly-zones) don't show up on any of the apps/sites I've checked... Had a nice knowledgeable citizen not warned me, I might have been cited by an officer of the law.  Somebody needs to create a one-stop-shop... Oh well, live and learn.
2017-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules