Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark RC flyaway issue: No updates 2 weeks in, very frustrated!
12Next >
2835 55 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Palomino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

It's been 2 weeks since I submitted my ticked for the issue where my DJI Spark disconnected from the app and my RC at a height of 407ft and a distance of 320ft, direct LOS. It smashed into a building on RTH, completely ignoring all controls.
I have the flight logs showing the distance and height and then showing the disconnect flyaway with total loss of input from the RC. I was flying it in the same area for about 30-40 minutes and had done longer passes over denser areas with absolutely no issues, and this one had no problems with the video streaming or anything and then, at the end of the video, it suddenly took off!

So far, all I have gotten from DJI customer service are generic "they need to check the flight logs" responses, and I'm very frustrated.

I ordered the Fly More package and DJI Refresh ($758 dollars, billed immediately) on May 26th for an extended international travel trip starting on September 5th. Under normal circumstances, that should be more than enough time.

It arrived on July 7th, and I had it for only 3 weeks before the drone dashed itself on the roof of a skyscraper, shattering several pieces.

I loved my drone! I even bought additional batteries at $50 each (so over $860 spent so far!) and looked into skins and an improved carrying bag for the additional accessories.

However, it's been 15 days since the accident and 14 days since I opened my ticket with DJI (CAS-826840-Z2S0Z2) and I've not heard anything back. I keep getting "they need to analyze the flight logs" but how long does that take when flights are 3-10 minutes each and there's only the one accident??

At this point, I need to get a drone within the next 2-3 weeks so that I can begin my trip as intended when I paid for the package back over 2 months ago!

DJI, please provide me an updated status so that we can resolve this.

2017-8-7
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss and wait.  One aspect of what you describe that I think might be worth researching:  I think you have to actively cancel RTH once it's engaged in order to fully regain control of the drone (page 38).
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-7 13:58
Sorry for your loss and wait.  One aspect of what you describe that I think might be worth researching:  I think you have to actively cancel RTH once it's engaged in order to fully regain control of the drone (page 38).

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that the app is very unstable and experienced a problem right before that and then the RC disconnected (red light). There was no option to cancel the RTH.

More to the point, it shouldn't have randomly DC'd and then taken off at nearly 20MPH. While it was under control, it had no issues. I didn't initiate RTH and it wasn't on low battery. I believe the RTH was due to the RC disconnect - I think that's a default action.
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

407ft height,huh? Wouldn't that be against regulations? This whole flight scenario sounds risky. Sorry for your loss, but you may be at fault here.
2017-8-7
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Palomino Posted at 2017-8-7 14:25
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that the app is very unstable and experienced a problem right before that and then the RC disconnected (red light). There was no option to cancel the RTH.

Yes, there's a "failsafe" RTH mode (page 14) where if it detects 3 seconds of DC from remote (or 20 seconds using wifi) it will automatically engage RTH.  And you are right, it sounds like it should not have disconnected.

I've never had an error free wifi flight (I always get short disconnects).  I've only once had disconnects occur during a flight when I was using OTG cable, and that was when I was flying in hot conditions (heat was on the high side of the flight specs).  Fortunately for me, those disconnects where very short, and I was able to manually return home.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-7 14:27
407ft height,huh? Wouldn't that be against regulations? This whole flight scenario sounds risky. Sorry for your loss, but you may be at fault here.

So the Spark is advertised as able to go 1500 meters high and 2KM distant - you believe that there is some software check that "punishes" people if they use the drone within its parameters?

> This whole flight scenario sounds risky.

Based on what? You have no idea what the flight scenario was - you've commented only on one data point which, according to DJI, is less than 33% of its operational ceiling and at a distance of 106 meters is about 1/20th the distance, with a direct LOS the entire time, over open ground and not water.

That, to my experience, is one of the least risky flight scenarios I can imagine.

> you may be at fault here.

Please explain how, based on what you read?
2017-8-7
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"To high...  or not to high..."  That is not my question.

But one observation I made during my practice flights was that upward velocity is higher than downward velocity (in both p and s modes).  I don't know the ratio (it's probably in the manual, it may be configurable), but going up is faster (for me).  Something to consider when self-managing the battery.
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You ran into a skyscraper at 407 ft.  FAA only wants you flying 400ft and line of sight. No way you had line of sight around skyscrapers at 407ft.  Sorry.  Just cause the drone can do it, doesn't mean you should.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-7 14:43
You ran into a skyscraper at 407 ft.  FAA only wants you flying 400ft and line of sight. No way you had line of sight around skyscrapers at 407ft.  Sorry.  Just cause the drone can do it, doesn't mean you should.

So much ignorance from you.

> You ran into a skyscraper at 407 ft.

No, I didn't. The drone ran into it. That's the part about it disconnecting.

> FAA only wants you flying 400ft

So your belief is that 7 feet made a difference? What about the area of the building under 400 feet?

> No way you had line of sight around skyscrapers at 407ft.

What are you even talking about?? First off, I was under the drone, nearly directly. It's as simple as looking up.

Second, if I'd written 392ft would you still be arguing this inane point?

Third, do you realize what visibility distance is? Is it your position that the human eye can't see 400 feet away?

What about people who live in other countries without the same restrictions? Do you believe that their vision is also limited? Do you believe the app causes disconnects and flyaways for them as well for not adhering to US suggestions? When I travel, if I were to operate my drone in a country with fewer regulations in the same scenario, and it also disconnected at a short distance LOS, would the app "punish me" as you think? Who would be at fault then?

>  Just cause the drone can do it, doesn't mean you should.

Which is why I don't fly to the 1,500 feet and 2KM limits. But I think that operating within 1/3 and 1/20th the flight parameters doing a straight vertical flight is well within expected operations.

At this point, I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling or just really ignorant.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-7 14:42
"To high...  or not to high..."  That is not my question.

But one observation I made during my practice flights was that upward velocity is higher than downward velocity (in both p and s modes).  I don't know the ratio (it's probably in the manual, it may be configurable), but going up is faster (for me).  Something to consider when self-managing the battery.

Yes, but the battery still had plenty of life. Checking my flight records right now, at the top of the flight, when the disconnect occurred, it still had 51% battery life. More than sufficient to bring it back down from 400ft, which was the plan (as I'd just capped the video I was trying to get) until it disconnected and went rogue.
2017-8-7
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

It sucks but it's your fault. You put the drone in a position to run into a building if it initiated RTH for any reason. Those are theoretical maximums, not guaranteed minimums. Urban areas have more interference and you were directly under the drone and probably didn't have your antennas position properly.
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Best thing to do here is put up your flight log.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:06
It sucks but it's your fault. You put the drone in a position to run into a building if it initiated RTH for any reason. Those are theoretical maximums, not guaranteed minimums. Urban areas have more interference and you were directly under the drone and probably didn't have your antennas position properly.

> You put the drone in a position to run into a building if it initiated RTH for any reason.

How do you figure that? Do you have any idea what the area was like where I was operating?

What positions would you take to ensure that the drone has absolutely no possible way of hitting anything in an RTH? What sort of environment does that look like to you?

More to the point, the issue is the random disconnect first, the RTH activity next.

> you were directly under the drone and probably didn't have your antennas position properly.

I'd flown far further multiple times in that same area within the same session just minutes before with no issues.

This one was just a straight vertical flight, so it should have no issues.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:11
Best thing to do here is put up your flight log.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I will do that later tonight.
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lol, trolling.  The way you have described it, it's your fault. Sorry your mad.  
2017-8-7
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Maybe instead of shopping for skins, you should have been spending that time reading the manual and thinking over all the nasty things that can happen when a RTH is initiated.  A little hands-on practice cancelling RTH would have been a good idea too.  But I realize how important skins and little heart stickers are for members of a certain generation.
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-7 14:27

Go somewhere bro if u wont help the guy who is already obviously upset then why post! Dont add insult to injury
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:06

What?!?! Its his fault without seeing a flight log? Get real
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Sucks dude i feel bad for new guys like you its ashame u try to get some help and they just pick u apart
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lol, you go somewhere bro.
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-7 16:12
Lol, you go somewhere bro.

Your such a tool help the guy out instead of trolling!
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Don't you have a naked drone to fly at 41mph in the rain?
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Really? Haha thats all u got .....clown
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Look at u screen name
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

If u watched the video specifically at 1:00 the cover is on and yes its very fun to fly at 41 mph
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

$OracleMiata$, that better?  Dollar signs make it legit. Clown.
2017-8-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You mad bro?????
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

I like the name like that ;) no im not mad Op if u need help u can message me
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds from what your saying you experienced RC disconnect, RTH was triggered once your more than 100 metres from homepoint your spark will travel at a speed of 10 M/S 22mph obstacle avoidance will be disabled , so looks like RTH height was not higher than the building and this is why from what you are saying you spark crashed into the building.
Other scenario is you lost gps and went to Atti mode and just crashed.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry to have kept you waiting, I have escalated your case to designated department to speed up the process, the outcome of data analysis will be sent to you by email when it's done, we would appreciate your patience.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-7 19:11
We are sorry to have kept you waiting, I have escalated your case to designated department to speed up the process, the outcome of data analysis will be sent to you by email when it's done, we would appreciate your patience.

> we would appreciate your patience.

I think two weeks without any solid responses qualifies as patience.

I would appreciate if you would understand my position: I am leaving the country on September 5th for a long term trip which I specifically bought the drone for and I am now without a drone and I am running out of time for you guys to come to a resolution. Things need to move faster to ensure that I can get a replacement one way or another before I leave.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
United States

Flight log: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YGRTUAZETSKJTZJ5EP8X/

Video of the section of the flight log right before it DC'd and flew off - I recorded from 5:32 which is right where I took it down to start the shot, and recorded all the way to the end. It's a simple vertical take off and slow spiral to get a nice view of the empty area which was closed on a Sunday (as all the area businesses were).

Here is the video of that exact section of the flight log recording:
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Palomino Posted at 2017-8-7 19:27
> we would appreciate your patience.

I think two weeks without any solid responses qualifies as patience.

I understand, sincerely apologize for the delay in data analysis, local team is working on it, we will try our best to get it addressed for you before your trip.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Palomino Posted at 2017-8-7 20:01
Flight log: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YGRTUAZETSKJTZJ5EP8X/

Video of the section of the flight log right before it DC'd and flew off - I recorded from 5:32 which is right where I took it down to start the shot, and recorded all the way to the end. It's a simple vertical take off and slow spiral to get a nice view of the empty area which was closed on a Sunday (as all the area businesses were).

It looks like you had compass error it was picked up in your log at take off, the area you were flying in is prone to magnetic interference particularly from rebar concrete and steel structures. It looks like you triggered RTH or it was triggered by loss of downlink i.e. Disconnected radio, from there it just depends on what your parameters of RTH were if the building was in your RTH path then spark can avoid it and crashes.
Why you lost radio connection dji should be able to tell you, but it looks like your aircraft did what it was supposed to do.
Good luck.
2017-8-8
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
Germany

Sorry for your loss, but you posted here to get some advices and maybe some future hints for flying, but all your answers were all very arrogant. As you say you where flying since 3 weeks, this is not enough to behave right and not to follow best practices related to newcomers of drone flights. The place you flew seems pretty much a zone that could be influenced of interferences. Best way to try out high altitudes, is for sure not in a city. Forget about flying in such an unresponsively way during your "long Travel" outside your country. As Calm and fly safe! hope your drone will made it back before u leave.
2017-8-8
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-7 16:36
It sounds from what your saying you experienced RC disconnect, RTH was triggered once your more than 100 metres from homepoint your spark will travel at a speed of 10 M/S 22mph obstacle avoidance will be disabled , so looks like RTH height was not higher than the building and this is why from what you are saying you spark crashed into the building.
Other scenario is you lost gps and went to Atti mode and just crashed.

in that case, his hope point was where he was so it shouldn't have crashed in to the building, unless im missing something. now i may be the ignorant one
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-8 02:31
in that case, his hope point was where he was so it shouldn't have crashed in to the building, unless im missing something. now i may be the ignorant one

Yes it looks like it was close, it looks like he took off in car park or grounds of the building how close it's hard to say, but spark was flying home on its RTH flight path if that building was in its or close to its RTH path then it's a risk , if gps is just slightly off and an area with so many high rise buildings this is possible so it may have passed it's stop point before stopping to get its landing position.
But if your flying in an area where buildings are much higher that you have set your RTH then your asking for trouble.
2017-8-8
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-8 02:47
Yes it looks like it was close, it looks like he took off in car park or grounds of the building how close it's hard to say, but spark was flying home on its RTH flight path if that building was in its or close to its RTH path then it's a risk , if gps is just slightly off and an area with so many high rise buildings this is possible so it may have passed it's stop point before stopping to get its landing position.
But if your flying in an area where buildings are much higher that you have set your RTH then your asking for trouble.

aww i understand. thank you for the reply, i am mostly here to learn and you are helping with that.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-8 02:31

If you look at the long lat , spark was not at its correct point for stopping if the building wasn't there spark would have continued a little more then positioned itself for landing, its all to do with angles, but it's fairly obvious that spark would have landed correctly if building wasn't there, so when you take off and fly always remember if you lose RC radio , what are the surroundings and is spark set up to clear all of them.
2017-8-8
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

From what it seems in the log; it was a pilot error in a sense that space was packed with interference and you should check before you fly in some place.

But crash-wise it is same old - A lot of reports here on forums are showing that interferences are basically "disorienting" compass, imu & GPS so bad that Spark has no clue what is up, down, left or right.
Your drone probably did not crash into the building because of RTH, but because of "flyaway" issue (you can search the forum). In short - all the flyaways have the same thing in common which shows up in the log as well. Compass, GPS and/or IMP error - then fly away into some direction and crash. The majority of them are in the areas with interferences (like buildings with antennas etc.).

You need to understand that Spark does not have dual Compass, IMU and GPS like Mavic does. Because of that it not exactly safe to fly it near buildings etc. as it is more prone to interferences.

All this information about what you should avoid is written in Manual, which is sadly ignored by a lot of Spark users.

Bottom line is that this was probably your issue, simply because you were flying somewhere you should not fly - a simple check would show you how badly impacted the area is in terms of signal.

Also on the side note - don't feed the trolls
2017-8-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules