Camera Yaw on Spark....
5823 33 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DunkerT
lvl.1

Australia

Hey all,

First time post on here, so please be gentle!

I've recently purchased a Spark and noticed that the camera yaw seems to drift when the drone is yawed and then stopped. I realise that there is no mechanical yaw on the Spark - but there is a digital one.

I've uploaded a video to show what is happening:

You'll see in the vid, that I yaw the drone and then stop, however, the camera continues to yaw, even whilst the drone remains pointing in one direction. I've double checked this by removing the props from the drone, lifting it by hand, yawing it, and then putting it back down (so the drone is definitely stationary), however, the video continues to yaw drift.

I've even taken my original spark back to the shop I bought it from for a replacement, but the new unit does exactly the same!

I've spoken with DJI support a couple of times and followed their instructions to run, re-run, re-re-run, re-re-re-run, re-re-re-re-un, re-re-re-re-..........all of the calibrations (compass, IMU, controller, etc.) but this hasn't helped. Now the only response is to send it back - which is a pain, as I'll be without the drone for some time by the sounds of it!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It makes it VERY tricky to get a decent forward climbing shot, or similar, when the camera continues to yaw on it's own! Certainly seems odd that it would do this on two completely seperate brand new units - maybe a software issue.....

Has anyone else had an issue?
2017-8-8
Use props
DunkerT
lvl.1

Australia

P.s. firmware is all fully up to date.
2017-8-8
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have that same "issue" but only noticed it when sparky is sitting still, ie. on my table or the back of the truck. Haven't noticed it mid flight, yet
2017-8-8
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Looks like a bad calibrated controller - but you said you did the calibration a dozen of times.

BTW:
The camera does not "yaw" the whole Spark does ;)

Check if it shows the same drift only with your smartphone controls - if so it might be the Spark, if not the the "problem" should be the controller

2017-8-8
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
United States

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-8-8 04:54
Looks like a bad calibrated controller - but you said you did the calibration a dozen of times.

BTW:

Camera doesn't yaw but the image does as it is cropped 4K and software stabilized.
2017-8-8
Use props
orgfred65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16201 ft
United Kingdom

I reported this issue to DJI on 22nd July. They replied that this was a confirmed bug and it will be fixed in a new update.
2017-8-8
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

i have the same thing since the beginning.
but its only real bad in low light situations. ill guess the image stabilistation isnt set right and cant process darker images.
in bright sunshine its isnt that visible, may be a slight pan after stopping the yaw input.

definitly isnt a bad calibrated controller. just set your spark up at night on your table and move it a bit around. no need for flying to see the problem.
2017-8-8
Use props
DunkerT
lvl.1

Australia

Ah, I had a feeling that it was a bug - seemed pretty weird to be happening on two separate, brand new units.

Fault on 1 unit = possible ID10T error
Fault on 2 units = fault on unit error

Hopefully the next update will come out soon and solve the problem. I was considering an upgrade to Mavic whilst I have chance to return my Spark (again), but I do really like the spark!
2017-8-8
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Same problem,only in the evening.
2017-8-8
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Since sparky is using the exact same sensor as the mavic (4K) but only has a 2axis gimbal - the sensor is "cropped" to compensate the 3axis - hence the excellent 1080p.
I suspect and issue with the compass/IMU that triggers a slight "shift" on the sensor because it's trying to compensate, resulting in the drift even though it is not moving at all.
Just a thought.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, had you tried another place to fly? Please try to fly in another place and make sure that you have calibrated the compass and IMU before this flight. If the drone still drifts the same, could you please export the data on the drone and upload it to Dropbox so we can check more about this? Appreciate it.
2017-8-9
Use props
Spookymike
lvl.4
Germany

I have exactly the same thing going on, but i was thinking that it should be normal due to the 2-Axxis gimbal an the yaw stabilisation. I would like to have a FW update that corrects this.
Sometimes it does this and sometimes not. Saw this on different locations and on different light situations.
2017-8-10
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-9 22:18
Just to verify, had you tried another place to fly? Please try to fly in another place and make sure that you have calibrated the compass and IMU before this flight. If the drone still drifts the same, could you please export the data on the drone and upload it to Dropbox so we can check more about this? Appreciate it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

why ?

the AC doesnt drift, only the picture pans/drifts without input. is the Image stabilistaion connected to compass/ IMU ? If yes why does this affect only the picture not the AC ?

ill bet your engenieers can emulate this problem with ease. just make a few tests in low light, no need for flying, props or anything except an spark/RC/phone...

its more than one person with this problem.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

kasei Posted at 2017-8-10 02:38
why ?

the AC doesnt drift, only the picture pans/drifts without input. is the Image stabilistaion connected to compass/ IMU ? If yes why does this affect only the picture not the AC ?

The gimbal of the Spark will be affected by its gyro and the AC's action.As you can see, it owns 2-axis gimbal for spark, and gimbal yaw follows the yaw of the Spark. So it is necessary for calibrating it. And I'll forward your advice to our engineer to test this case.
2017-8-10
Use props
DunkerT
lvl.1

Australia

I've tested at several locations, with re-calibrations - still has the same issue. Looking back over my earlier footage, it is also still present (although I didn't notice it at the time, as I wasn't looking for it).

I haven't had chance to do the firmware update yet, or get back out to fly it. Has this been fixed in the new FW update?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Spookymike Posted at 2017-8-10 02:31
I have exactly the same thing going on, but i was thinking that it should be normal due to the 2-Axxis gimbal an the yaw stabilisation. I would like to have a FW update that corrects this.
Sometimes it does this and sometimes not. Saw this on different locations and on different light situations.

Please follow Thor's advice. Make sure that no interference around your spark. You can export the data for us to analyze. Thanks.
2017-9-15
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

I make night photos with long exposure with spark . on fw .400 was rock steady , the bug hit me from .500 upgrade and in .600 still present
2017-9-15
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks to me like it is the electronic image stabilization trying to re-center itself after some movement.  The same exact issue can be seen in this thread with the Spark sitting on a desk:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-109376-1-1.html

In my opinion, DJI needs to update their algorithm for how it does this because a drift over multiple seconds after the aircraft stops doesn't seem reasonable to me.
I also see this same behavior both in flight and when setting the Spark on a solid surface.  My Spark is updated with all the latest and greatest firmware and software updates available at this time.
2017-9-15
Use props
Mike79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49675 ft
Germany

Same problem. Didn't notice the yaw issue with the old firmware:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9vvc4r8ojer2nu/IMG_1803.MP4?dl=0
2017-9-15
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

Mike79 Posted at 2017-9-15 05:45
Same problem. Didn't notice the yaw issue with the old firmware:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9vvc4r8ojer2nu/IMG_1803.MP4?dl=0

old .400 or .500 ? I remarked it from the first night after .500 upgrade
2017-9-15
Use props
Mike79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49675 ft
Germany

I noticed it after upgrading from .500 to .600. Maybe I didn't recognize the yaw problem in the .500 version because I was too busy playing around with my new Spark. What I can say is that my spark does not only have the "gimbal-yaw" issues, but also has some problems flying a straight line (even when there's no wind). It's always slightly drifting to one side. Furthermore I see a quite high Gyro bias as long as the Spark is cold (sometimes the indicator bar in the DJI go app even turns yellow). Calibration / factory reset / firmware refresh did not solve the issue. Maybe there's a bad Gyro IC lot out there? My friend's Spark is behaving as expected...
2017-9-15
Use props
DunkerT
lvl.1

Australia

So, I've completed all updates, and finally taken my drone back out for a fly at the weekend. It's still doing the same "yaw drift". This makes it incredibly difficult to get a decent shot. How do we fix this?!?!? At the moment, I'm thinking about returning my spark for good.
2017-10-1
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Mine has done that on a couple of flights.. Certainly not all of them.  It may well have something to do with the lighting conditions. When I did notice it it was starting to get dark.
2017-10-1
Use props
Griff84
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8927 ft
Canada

I have had the same issue on my Spark which flew away from me yesterday due to a yaw error which inexplicably occurred in flight, which put it into ATTI mode, causing me to be unable to use RTH to bring it back.
2017-11-14
Use props
Griff84
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8927 ft
Canada

Disregard my last comment. I'm new on here as well, and published it prematurely and it wouldn't let me change it. Anyway, I had the same issue with my Spark which flew away from me yesterday due to a yaw error which inexplicably occurred in flight, which put it into ATTI mode, causing me to be unable to use RTH to bring it back. Anyway, before that happened, I often noticed that the yaw would move even when the drone was still, and the camera often tilted at a funny angle.
2017-11-14
Use props
fansdd190fdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 858993 ft
United Kingdom

Is there any new update on this issue has it been fixed in newer firmware? I ask because i have kept my spark on 0.600 firmware and djigo app at 4.1.18 as a lot of people had reported problems with more recent firmwares. My spark has this drift on yaw as well and if you try to go forward in a straight line the drifts to one side despite recalibrations of imu compass and transmitter. However as i do not want to introduce a more serious problem with a faulty firmware problem I thought i would ask
2018-2-7
Use props
SparkySky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32940 ft
United Kingdom

Dug up this thread as my Spark, less than 12 months old and with the latest firmware, has the same issue with the camera panning for a few seconds after the Spark stops yawing.  I've done a quick bench test to show the problem (but it won't let me post the youtube link here?!?!).  Using the simulator on DJI Assistant 2 I can even 'turn the camera' using the left stick with the drone sat on the bench, yet the image on my phone pans left and right slightly, maybe 5 degrees according to the data on Assistant.  Does anyone, especially DJI, have any update on this?  It's far from ideal when I have to try and 'correct' what the drone does.

2018-11-16
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

It's not a "Bug" it's a feature so you get smooth transitions when ending a Yaw movement (i'll bet that's DJI answer lol)

MY SPARK IS 1 YEAR OLD BOUGHT NEW
- Never flew perfectly straight
- has yaw movement when it shouldn't
2018-11-16
Use props
SparkySky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32940 ft
United Kingdom

I've come to the same conclusion having spent an evening searching the web for similar issues.  I had kind of fell out of love with the Spark as I thought it was an issue, but having taken it out today and burnt through three batteries in winds gusting upwards of 20mph, I've reminded myself just how capable this little thing is!  It's a case of adapting to the new feature - and panning/yawing certainly produces smoother footage than with older firmware.
2018-11-17
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

agree with everyone here that thinks this is connected with 'software yaw stabilization' .. I think that they have changed the algo to be more aggressive with a simulated follow yaw and allow the 'image capture window' to float further in the 4k sensor frame and it does seem to take a while for the image to really recenter to the middle of the sensor... I find that the problem is exacerbated by doing turns all in the same direction .. like flying in a loop around a field vs a mix of left and right turns..  also since the algo for image stabilization is very sensitive .. any 'perceived' yaw by the aircraft is going to be 'corrected' by the software camera yaw damper algo so if / when we start seeing the yaw  vs magyaw separation in values I believe the FC will command some of this 'correction' as it thinks the aircraft is yawing..
2018-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Strobing_NYC Posted at 11-16 15:34
It's not a "Bug" it's a feature so you get smooth transitions when ending a Yaw movement (i'll bet that's DJI answer lol)

MY SPARK IS 1 YEAR OLD BOUGHT NEW

Your right that’s exactly what it is, there are many who just can’t work these things and will put it down to FW/SW , no matter what’s wrong with their drone it’s always somebody else’s fault.
2018-11-17
Use props
Daniele1968
New
Italy

Ciao, il problema è stato risolto? Ho la stessa deriva camera della mia scintilla acquistata nel dicembre 2018. Grazie
2019-2-19
Use props
Daniele1968
New
Italy

Grazie per le molte risposte, grande forum dji {: 4_143:}
Forum completamente inutile !!
Se lo chiudi, fai una buona cosa.
2019-3-20
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

I've always had a yaw problem and find it kind of strange when the picture is yawing even when I haven't taken off yet.
2019-4-21
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8409 ft
United States

Today is the first time I've noticed this, just hovering in the air.
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules