Inspire 1 Gimbal Indexing Nuts
9132 11 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf4ddb50b
lvl.1
United States

Ok, here I go....

My Inspire has been out of commission for a few months now. I made the dreadful mistake of disassembling my gimbal mistakenly (thought I damaged it when I actually didn't) and removed the nuts without marking them. Heck I disassembled it all the way down to removing the motors.

I've tried one particular video where the concept was illustrated but after several attempts I could not get the gimbal most past the limp or jerking status.

I'll now take a small moment of silence to allow for the sounds of hissing and despise from the audience...

Well I was just wondering if anyone figured out this dreadful alignment or can offer some advice besides buying a new one or sending it off for repair.

Inspire 1 V2.0
Zenmuse X3

2017-8-8
Use props
Russ_Sylvia_jr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78074 ft
United States

I done this ones, and it not easy at all to do i spent about a week or 2 on fixing this.  

The nuts position are very important to the camera alignment, and copy what some one else positions may not help fully.  it seems each camera it self calibrates to what the nuts North is and the position it facing (if that make sense to you or any one).  I was able to adjust my camera by using my osmo handle and see the camera position.

here what i found when i did mind:
- if the camera goes limp then you are no wear near calibrated.
- if it starts jerking around then you are close. (Note: Keep the camera from jerking around or it will break it stops and the camera will be junk.  Stop it as some as it starts, and i recurrent have your hand over the camera to hold it when it starts.)
- you need all 3 bolts to be close or aligned before you see anything, if one is off then they all will be
- some camera gimbal have marks indicating where the north on the bolt needs to face.
- The little bolt is magnetic, this is used to aligned the camera.
- Make sure you put the correct board back to each spot on the gimbal or it will not work.
- Do not tingeing the bolts to tight (Note: you can break the bolt if you go to tight).
- Use lock tight on the bolts to keep them in place, once you align it.  give it a good day to dry.
- the most import thing is lot and lots of patients, I came close to smashing mine a few times.  every little turn could be to much or just wrong.

to be hones you may be better off by a new one.  i end up doing that with mine.  It works but it alignment is a tiny bit off from center and i just can't get it right.  I got lucky and score one of eBay, they company thought it was defective but the person who bought it did not know how to install it to the drone.  I keep my old one as a screwing around camera or when i am gone to be puttig the camera in danger.  

This video help me a little bit or at lease pointing me in the correct direction ()
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

If the gimbal fails to be assembled correctly by yourself, please send it in official repair center or you can find the repair center of re-sellers which is nearest to your location, here is the link for repair center: http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2017-8-10
Use props
fansf4ddb50b
lvl.1
United States

Russ_Sylvia_jr Posted at 2017-8-9 18:27
I done this ones, and it not easy at all to do i spent about a week or 2 on fixing this.  

The nuts position are very important to the camera alignment, and copy what some one else positions may not help fully.  it seems each camera it self calibrates to what the nuts North is and the position it facing (if that make sense to you or any one).  I was able to adjust my camera by using my osmo handle and see the camera position.

Thanks for the reply.

That is the same video i found as well. Really the only video out there.
I did have it to the point where is was jerking. Maybe i can tweak it some but yes it is very troublesome to get it done properly.

I have been looking for another one to purchase with no luck. Full price on most.
2017-8-10
Use props
Russ_Sylvia_jr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78074 ft
United States

fansf4ddb50b Posted at 2017-8-10 03:33
Thanks for the reply.

That is the same video i found as well. Really the only video out there.

if you get the jerking i would spend some time turn the nuts  a tiny bit at a time.  May be work on one at a time or combo it.  I also left the covers off the pan and pitch and only put one screw back in to the circlet board when i tested mine.

If i recall correctly my Yaw north has to point to the front, bit a bit to it left.  Pitch was like the video, and pan was down.  i am not a 100%, it been about 3-4 month since i did this.

Just to note: if the camera was involved in a crash it possible the camera may be dead and the gimbal may never work.  I have one camera that like that, i get video and some times it moves (if i flick it, Hard).  But it will not work.  From what i found the camera has it own gyro in side it, that it uses to work with the drones gyro.  if that broken then it will never work.

keep an eye on ebay now and then i see them for about 200-300.  just have to be keep an eye out for one.
2017-8-10
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

Hi Guys, old post but i just went through this process myself.

Pics attached with instructions included. The process works and I fixed 2 bad gimbals into one working unit

Uploaded in calibration order, YAW, ROLL, PITCH

ROLL and PITCH need to be fine tuned, leave all covers all until complete, make sure IC boards are always installed or else magnets will not read. That took me a while to figure out.
The process took about 2 hours in total. My Inspire is all ready to go after the fix.

Message with any questions.

2018-2-26
Use props
fansf4ddb50b
lvl.1
United States

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-2-26 09:09
Hi Guys, old post but i just went through this process myself.

Pics attached with instructions included. The process works and I fixed 2 bad gimbals into one working unit  

Really appreciate the information. I lost hope that my camera was a lost cause. I do have a few questions.

I'm guessing your nut alignment is provided to get you close? How do you know which direction to tweak the nuts or if you went the wrong direction?
I was under the impression that all 3 had to be perfect to properly align. So if one was off (and it's hard to tell which one) it became a guessing game.
2018-2-26
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

fansf4ddb50b Posted at 2018-2-26 11:01
Really appreciate the information. I lost hope that my camera was a lost cause. I do have a few questions.

I'm guessing your nut alignment is provided to get you close? How do you know which direction to tweak the nuts or if you went the wrong direction?

Honestly, I took my gimbals apart not knowing about the magnets.

So it was done all from scratch. No previous markings, nothing to go by but the logic above.

I would say that they have some sway. As in the YAW is easy to do almost 100%.
1. like in my pic, match up the direction of the gimbal and drone. The map grid should have them line up on your app, if they do not, adjust magnet on the yaw until they are almost spot on, this one is the hardest since its under the mount. I was half holding it, half hoping it wouldnt start spinning to snap the cable.

2. The Roll and PITCH had markings on mine, but it was not at all close to what the magnets were. I put the pitch in the center like the pic and left the covers off.

3. Adjusted the ROLL 15 degrees at a time. The best part about this stage is your yaw is 90-95% accurate. So if you have the PITCH and ROLL off, you can start gently rotating the gimbal and the motors will pick up "hey im moving" and in the wrong place. The gimbal will start to kick.

4. The PITCH Motor is again an easy one since the pitch shows up on the app, have the gimbal in the natural state facing forward, middle height, and then see where your pitch shows up. If its all the way at the top or all the way at the bottom, the nut on the PITCH needs to move 15 deg at a time until your gimbal shows the little bubble transition from bottom to top as you move the gimbal by hand.

As messed up as it sounds, it is trial and error but the sensors still display their location while on the app, so it allows you to see what the gimbal thinks its doing.

Let me know how it works out for you and give yourself time and patience to work it out.
2018-2-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Another note ... not all nuts have the N at the tip or flat side of the nut. It can vary. I used a very small compass from the top of a kids toy basically. I circled the location that appeared to be the N and marked it down. Moving the compass around the nut seems to ID the location of the N very accurately.

Take lots of pics and videos, I can chime in to assist where I can.

When you see the twitch of life, it will be all worth it
2018-2-27
Use props
Derwys
Second Officer

Venezuela

Hi Linuxglobal.

Thank you for share your experiences. you did a great job! It is not easy!

I don't understand how to align camera and drone.
2018-3-7
Use props
Icekooler
lvl.1

United States

HI every one.

Is it possible that some one has the video that you talked about? i tried to see it, but it seems to be out.i m trying to solve my own gimbal.  Kind regards.

AJSS
2020-9-10
Use props
dec11ad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3993281 ft

United States

Icekooler Posted at 2020-9-10 12:57
HI every one.

Is it possible that some one has the video that you talked about? i tried to see it, but it seems to be out.i m trying to solve my own gimbal.  Kind regards.

me too, could someone reshare the clip please..
2021-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules