Gimbal Clamp
1725 13 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbe948475
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1564911 ft
Germany

Do I need to always remove the Gimbal Clamp on my Mavic Pro. Example - I was flying taking photos etc and wanted to download them to my phone but I needed to get home, so I packed up all my stuff and went home, I am home and I now just want to download my photos to my Phone - do I need to take the Gimbal clamp OFF  if I have no intention of flying or filming? - ie just downloading photos to the MAC of iphone
2017-8-10
Use props
Ste09
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97395 ft
France

You don't necessarily need to remove the clamp if you don't fly. The aircraft will try to move the gimball during the normal initialization and just report that's unable to do it.
You can also consider taking out the microSD and pop it in your computer directly
2017-8-10
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Personality I would always remove the gimbal clamp before turning on the mavic, and replace after switiching off, it only takes a few seconds to remove and refit.
The gimbal is a very delicate and sensitive piece of equipment, why risk any strain on the motors if it can easily be avoided ?
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As 2# mentioned, I would recommend you to remove the gimbal clamp as the camera will do self-diagnosis once powered on.
2017-8-10
Use props
Fistel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491158 ft
Germany

Harbourside Posted at 2017-8-10 01:00
Personality I would always remove the gimbal clamp before turning on the mavic, and replace after switiching off, it only takes a few seconds to remove and refit.
The gimbal is a very delicate and sensitive piece of equipment, why risk any strain on the motors if it can easily be avoided ?

Exactly my thoughts. The gimbal moves every time, when you turn the Mavic on. If the gimbal is fixed it means a lot stress for the motors, because they can´t move.

I eject the SD-Card, and import with a reader. This is much faster than transfering via USB-cable.
2017-8-10
Use props
fansbe948475
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1564911 ft
Germany

Thank you - everyone - looks like removing it wins
2017-8-10
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I do not use gimbal clamp. At no situation.
I took of mine the day I received my drone and never put it back.
Of course I am very careful on handling my drone, but you should not initialize your Mavic with the clamp as you will damage it when it makes the diagnosis.
Cheers.
2017-8-10
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Ste09 Posted at 2017-8-10 00:45
You don't necessarily need to remove the clamp if you don't fly. The aircraft will try to move the gimball during the normal initialization and just report that's unable to do it.
You can also consider taking out the microSD and pop it in your computer directly

That's a great way to damage the gimbal and other components. Brushless motors like to move. If they are obstructed they can send large voltage spikes back up to the ESC.
2017-8-10
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-10 04:49
I do not use gimbal clamp. At no situation.
I took of mine the day I received my drone and never put it back.
Of course I am very careful on handling my drone, but you should not initialize your Mavic with the clamp as you will damage it when it makes the diagnosis.

You should really put the gimbal clamp on during transport to avoid unnecessary movement and jostling.  It's a fairly delicate assembly there. I'd be most worried about the ribbon cable getting damaged. The clamp keeps the gimbal from free floating which might also slip one of the rubber tabs out.
2017-8-10
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

100% take off the clamp.
It maybe me but, haven't the pictures already downloaded onto your phone or tablet? I only remove the SD card to get the video in 4K.
2017-8-10
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

ephektz Posted at 2017-8-10 10:22
You should really put the gimbal clamp on during transport to avoid unnecessary movement and jostling.  It's a fairly delicate assembly there. I'd be most worried about the ribbon cable getting damaged. The clamp keeps the gimbal from free floating which might also slip one of the rubber tabs out.

Dear ephektz,

I do not disagree with your point of view!
Really, I don't say that the procedure I adopted is right! But the management of that clamp creeps me! I think it is not as easy to handle as it should be.
So I take my risks! But, thanks for your opinion.
Cheers.
2017-8-10
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-10 12:03
Dear ephektz,

I agree that the clamp is a bit of a pain to manage. I usually lay the bird upside down on my case and hold the gimbals gentle and place the clamp on with my other hand.
2017-8-10
Use props
djiuser_vu6YCFs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45072 ft
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-10 12:03
Dear ephektz,

I bought a $5 large red cloth ribbon on the DJI site that says "Remove Before Flight".  I use velcro to attach it to the top of my Mavic.  I also bought a $10 gimbal clamp that is much better and easier to use than the original one.  Like others have said - the gimbal is a complicated assembly and I really want to protect it at all times.  
2017-8-10
Use props
Ste09
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97395 ft
France

ephektz Posted at 2017-8-10 10:16
That's a great way to damage the gimbal and other components. Brushless motors like to move. If they are obstructed they can send large voltage spikes back up to the ESC.

Thanks for the clarification
I'll be more cautious from this time on.
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules