871 20 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Always be careful where you take off from there are many hazards on the ground, take a look at this video, same will apply to spark.

2017-8-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

I had a similar issue like this with the spark. I was next to a fountain downtown chicago next to the river. As soon as i took off it got a compass error and started drifting so i recalibrated same issue. Decided not to fly it.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mimus Posted at 2017-8-10 08:15
I had a similar issue like this with the spark. I was next to a fountain downtown chicago next to the river. As soon as i took off it got a compass error and started drifting so i recalibrated same issue. Decided not to fly it.

If you get a message to move spark or calibrate, never try to calibrate always move to another location free of all magnetic interference. Calibrating compass in an area where there is metal objects rebar concrete cars etc will almost certainly lead to bad calibration.
2017-8-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:28
If you get a message to move spark or calibrate, never try to calibrate always move to another location free of all magnetic interference. Calibrating compass in an area where there is metal objects rebar concrete cars etc will almost certainly lead to bad calibration.

This was when i was new to flying. At least i was smart enough not to fly it
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mimus Posted at 2017-8-10 08:38
This was when i was new to flying. At least i was smart enough not to fly it

Good job Mimus, it's a learning curve for us all....
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

excellent advice.

Hallmark007, would you happen to know about how far away i should be from any metal, ie: cars, power lines, etc..., when i calibrate? i never calibrate unless the app tells me to but i would like to know just in case. i could not find it in the manual.
2017-8-10
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Excellent advice, I can trace a few compass errors back to where I calibrated with possible interference.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:51
excellent advice.

Hallmark007, would you happen to know about how far away i should be from any metal, ie: cars, power lines, etc..., when i calibrate? i never calibrate unless the app tells me to but i would like to know just in case. i could not find it in the manual.

From cars large metal objects rebar concrete 10 metres should be ok, best to remove all jewellery watches and other metal objects and don't forget to keep RC at least 3 metres distance away.
2017-8-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:46
Good job Mimus, it's a learning curve for us all....

I wonder if i palm launched , would i have the same problem??
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:59
From cars large metal objects rebar concrete 10 metres should be ok, best to remove all jewellery watches and other metal objects and don't forget to keep RC at least 3 metres distance away.

awesome, thanks!
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mimus Posted at 2017-8-10 09:01
I wonder if i palm launched , would i have the same problem??

You shouldn't pick up interference from palm launch, I've heard some say Apple Watch might be a problem but I have one , no problem.
2017-8-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-10 09:14
You shouldn't pick up interference from palm launch, I've heard some say Apple Watch might be a problem but I have one , no problem.

I think setting it down on that concrete filled with re-bar and what else might be in there can screw with the compass.. hence the error later in flight.  Next time i am there, i will palm launch  and see how it goes. But it wont be for a while probably.
2017-8-10
Use props
rockmsu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90804 ft
United States

Beyond the alerts, how can you tell if there is strong interference with the compass? Sometimes the compass error passes and you don't really realize til your midflight which can result in a scary flight. Is there a way to check if you're in a comfort zone prior to launching?
2017-8-10
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Look at the direction the map shows his drone is pointing.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rockmsu Posted at 2017-8-10 09:31
Beyond the alerts, how can you tell if there is strong interference with the compass? Sometimes the compass error passes and you don't really realize til your midflight which can result in a scary flight. Is there a way to check if you're in a comfort zone prior to launching?

This link might help you

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-8-10
Use props
rockmsu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90804 ft
United States

Yes I've read this and follow those pre-flight procedures, but sounds like from a number of folks including that it happened to me once that these things can arise mid flight. Not sure if there's a better graph or histogram of interference in the area to avoid these calibration issues happening mid flight.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rockmsu Posted at 2017-8-10 10:21
Yes I've read this and follow those pre-flight procedures, but sounds like from a number of folks including that it happened to me once that these things can arise mid flight. Not sure if there's a better graph or histogram of interference in the area to avoid these calibration issues happening mid flight.

What happens during flight can sometimes be attributed to what happens preflight, if something happens at high altitude, then at least you will know you did everything to avoid, there is not much more you can do,
2017-8-10
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
Bahamas

I wouldn't be surprised if the drone didn't get interference from the the ship transmitters:  two radars, vhf, satcoms, AIS, cellular modems with external antennas, routers, etc  that's a lot of stuff at close range
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-10 10:38
I wouldn't be surprised if the drone didn't get interference from the the ship transmitters:  two radars, vhf, satcoms, AIS, cellular modems with external antennas, routers, etc  that's a lot of stuff at close range

Yes there is a lot going on, but if you look at video you will notice compass triangle is backwards right from take off leading pilot to think he picked this up from the ground.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing. If the aircraft has not taken off and the compass readings are abnormal. It is recommended to power off the aircraft, calibrate the compass in a different place and then fly again.
Besides, we recommend taking off as far as possible after powering on and self-checking finished, long time of standing on the ground might cause compass interference.
Radio transmission towers, power lines, base stations, electromagnetic interference devices, and large deposits of magnetic metal might cause compass error. As we could see there is a bridge near around, it might be the source of interference. We would suggest changing another open wide to fly.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

rockmsu Posted at 2017-8-10 10:21

This issue might occur because the aircraft is flying in a place where the compass cannot detect the interference correctly. We suggest landing the drone manually if possible and change another place to fly.
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules