Would a "slow mode" help relax regulations?
686 4 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_asCqOex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35889 ft
United States

I just got my spark and without having check regulations here in NY I have to say I'm super frustrated. In fact I have an RMA to return it but I'm having second thoughts.

Most of the regulations seems that were created given the fear of heavier and faster drones hitting people. I'm a native from Brazil and when I went searching for regulations there, it pretty much follows the same FAA rules with some additional advice for privacy protection.

The interesting part was some new regulation just publish a couple of weeks ago where they added a new "class". What they're doing is allowing flights without notifying towers and basically allowing drones to fly anywhere given they stay below 10 meters (~32ft) of altitude and don't go faster than 10km/h (6mph).

This is considerably slower than the 30mph of Spark's sport mode. And imho these limitations would make the hobby possible. Most people don't want to race drones, they just want to fly just above their heads and take a panorama shot or some video of their family.

A software lock to slow down and limit the drones could be a feature that DJI could use to try to push for more relaxed regulations.

Am I being naive? What are the thoughts of most experienced pilots/hobbyists?
2017-8-10
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What you are discribing sounds a lot like Tripod Mode.  I wouldn't want a machine locked to this mode.
2017-8-10
Use props
fabcarb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 881818 ft
Brazil

Hi, @djiuser_asCqOex
2017-8-21
Use props
fabcarb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 881818 ft
Brazil

Hi, @djiuser_asCqOex

As far as I know, it is not necessary to request airspace for recreation purposes with a Spark (class 3) if you're flying VLOS (visual line of sight) and below 120 meters.

Nonetheless, all Brazilians must register the bird in three places: ANAC, Anatel and DECEA. The Federal Police at the Customs may confiscate the drone if the owner do not have it already registered at ANAC and Anatel (in this case, the registration can be still under analysis, since it takes a while to be issued).

All these registrations are pretty simple and if you (or any other folk here) need to do it, let me know and I will be glad to help.
2017-8-21
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

you are naive sorry 4 you but have a nice day takes all kinds just enjoy your new toy
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules