First time flying over water........scary!
1387 16 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

Did my first flight over water and it was as nerve wracking as my very first flight!   Its gunna take some getting used to.
IMG_1110.JPG
2017-8-11
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Nice photo.  Did you use any lenses for color?  I'm a newbie droner too.  Not afraid of water, trees are what scare me.
2017-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Safest place to be little or no obstacles very little radio interference, first time is always the worst. Good luck.
2017-8-11
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Water, or land, we're all sometimes worried these days that when we launch, we may never see our drones again.
2017-8-11
Use props
Hemlock_Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 107418 ft
Canada

My first time flying over water was the same feeling It gets great photos tho...
2017-8-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It gets easier each time.

It's just about building up confidence that you've done your best to ensure that the machine will perform as it should do. And that just comes with practice, and knowing what to do should anything go wrong.
2017-8-11
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-11 06:30
It gets easier each time.

It's just about building up confidence that you've done your best to ensure that the machine will perform as it should do. And that just comes with practice, and knowing what to do should anything go wrong.

I couldn't agree more with Aardvark! This first time is very scary, but it does pose less problems for sure. No obstacles to cause you problems or signal issues. Just remember, doesn't matter if you are over water or land, if you have an unfortunate issue with your Phantom.......if you are more that 30 feet in the air, it isn't going to matter what you are over. Sure you might find it, but chances are you won't have much to repair. I love flying over the water, and like was said, you will be more confident over time. That confidence will play a big part in your feeling comfortable to fly wherever you want. I am at the point that I know my aircraft very well, and know what to expect when something happens. Yes, I have had a few bumps in the road. Replaced a shell or two, but I feel I know my aircraft in and out for the most part, and it has allowed me to go places others would be fearful of going. Don't get me wrong, I always am aware of where I'm flying and safety is foremost on my mind, but I have a couple friends who have pretty new P4's, and they won't go over a couple hundred feet before returning home because they are afraid something will happen. I understand, and wouldn't want them to not be prepared or do something to get them into trouble. But it is the confidence you build over time that will allow you to enjoy this sport more. Have fun, and don't be afraid to learn just what these machines are capable of.
2017-8-11
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-11 03:42
Nice photo.  Did you use any lenses for color?  I'm a newbie droner too.  Not afraid of water, trees are what scare me.

No lense, but did adjust on my laptop
2017-8-11
Use props
Como Lake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7481496 ft
Italy

Great JOB!  No worries due the water, I can fly just over the water and untill now the sound is good.... ( over 1200km)
2017-8-11
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nova Scotia ?  As you build up the confidence in the P4, flying over water will be the same as flying over land.  My heart rate doesn't even go up anymore.  Spent last fall Nova Scotia and all flights were over water, never had an incident, although, do not trust the altitude on the screen, I find the value to be always a few meters off.
2017-8-11
Use props
Mongo6294
lvl.2
Flight distance : 284665 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be careful. Was flying my P4A over a lake and it died (without any errors or issues) and crashed into the water. Watched it happen too. It just decided to stop working and crash with 60ish% batttery life left. Total life on the drone was 3.5 hours (1 month old). The data analysis team is still working on my case a month after the incident.  Just saying... be careful
2017-8-11
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Very beautiful, your WB maybe a little off, but it a great shot.
2017-8-11
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water 98% oi the time. Never an issue.  5-8 feet off water, ATTI Mode 63 mph

2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The picture looks great! I would recommend you to disable the downward vision system and keep a certain distance above the water(more than 10 meters).
2017-8-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-12 02:24
The picture looks great! I would recommend you to disable the downward vision system and keep a certain distance above the water(more than 10 meters).

Yes this is a must I'm told.
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-8-12 11:12
Yes this is a must I'm told.

Looking forward more wonderful pictures and videos from you.
2017-8-15
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

flying over water is safer like over terain.  No obstacles, if drone crash by error or motor fail, nothing happened. Just lost drone, you hit only water   You propably still do not feel it, but is very soothing during flight Hit someone by falling dron is more scary like water. 4 me.   good luck
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules