Easy Osmo/Crystal Sky Mounting Hack
4670 7 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

I've been waiting a while for delivery of the mounting bracket so that I can use my Crystal Sky screen with my Osmo Pro.  I ordered it a while back, but DJI is taking it's own sweet time in getting it to me (it's been just sitting on "payment success" for quite a while now).

In the meantime, I still want to use my Crystal Sky.

It finally occurred to me that's a really easy zero $ hack to use the Crystal Sky with the existing Osmo mount... see the pics, it takes one second and works like a charm.  Note that I use an extension arm (I have distance witness marks on my focus handwheel, and using the arm moves the screen so I can see the wheel better), but you don't have to use the arm.

DJI will PROBABLY say you shouldn't use the battery as a mounting point, but it seems secure.  I'm totally comfortable doing this until they get me the real bracket... whenever that may be.

OsmoCrystalSky.jpg
2017-8-11
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

I should have included this picture as well, this shows how everything goes together (I did not use the extension arm in this setup).

You might note that I mount my Crystal Sky upside down.  It makes it easier/neater to dress the USB cable to it, and also puts the side buttons on the left instead of the right, which is much easier to operate when carrying the Osmo in my right hand.  Just have to hit the middle "settings" button and flip the picture so that it is oriented correctly in this configuration.
OsmoCrystalSky2.jpg
2017-8-11
Use props
dronesinairs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Wow interesting, I tried to think of so many ideas and never tried that.
6 more pictures DJI Mavic mount https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... 56975&postcount=808

Q: It looks nice but you have Osmo and Mavic, did you look at the Mavmount (works for both)? CrystalSky tab at bottom 3rd party mounts. https://goo.gl/cTTBPb

I wish DJI would have made a mount that slot into a phone holder (Compatibility will all DJI products is nice)

2017-8-11
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

Yeah I've seen the Mavmount... it looks well made and is dirt cheap... but the design is just so big and clunky.  I don't want a holder that mounts the CrystalSky up and above the Mavic Controller (plus I want to be able to see the controller and its screen)... and I'd like something that will neatly fit in the very compact Mavic case that I already have.  Ideally a mount would position the CrystalSky screen down pretty much exactly like it is arranged when I use it with my phone.  The Mavmount might be nice if one was using the big CrystalSky, but I have the small one and would rather it fit down more "phone style."

If DJI doesn't come up with a real Mavic mount soon though, I might buy a Mavmount just so I can cannibalize it for parts, the workmanship looks nice and I think I might can cobble together something that is a bit more streamlined than the as-is Mavmount (at the very minimum, eliminating the big post and ball mount.

Although ideally I'd rather DJI just release a proper part.
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The mounting bracket of Mavic Pro will be released soon, please note the future release in our website.
Faux, could you please provide me the order number of  Osmo Pro/RAW Mounting Bracket? I will help to check the estimation shipping date for you.
2017-8-13
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Mindy... no need, it finally did arrive today.

Users please note though (and admittedly this is just MY review), even though I got the Osmo bracket in, I don't think I will be using it.  After testing it both ways, I really like my freebie hack a lot better than using the real bracket.  The freebie hack puts the CrystalSky in a much better and more balanced position, and is plenty secure.  Plus when using everything the way I like it configured and the cables dressed as I like, the USB cable on the Osmo bracket is too short for my usage... about 2-3" too short.

I'll probably keep it though, I might cannibalize it to make a Mavic mount.
2017-8-16
Use props
skypicturesbulg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5241939 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Any info how to rotate the screen when using mavic mount
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

skypicturesbulg Posted at 2017-9-28 03:40
Any info how to rotate the screen when using mavic mount

You would not be able to rotate the screen when using a Mavic Mount. Is this for use with an Osmo or a Mavic?
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules