Phantom 3 coming soon?
4970 37 2015-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Just watched Simon Newton's video about the Phantom 3 being announced soon.  Perhaps at the NAB Expo is Las Vegas on April 13th?  

What have you guys heard?

2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

No information that he has.  DJI hasn't even gotten the Inspire totally straightened out yet.
2015-3-27
Use props
isaiahbrock7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

http://flying-drones.expert/new-dji-phantom-3/

Found this
2015-3-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

All I hear are rumours and speculation.
Not that I am bothered either way as I have no intention of throwing away my V+ for a new model.
If the rumours are true then DJI really are pushing the boat out to keep their number 1 in the world title.
Guess we will have to wait a few days and see what appears...
2015-3-27
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

That STINKS if true..I just bought my two weeks ago and would have waited if I knew this!  Seems to always happen to me!
2015-3-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

with the new Hubsan coming soon to an airspace near you surely DJI have  a stake to hold as they feel it must be a serious contender if there is an actually P3 about to be announced, i looked at the Hubsan videos and am still looking for first user reports when it comes out, some ridiculous flying time claims of 45 min. etc. There was a preorder on Amazon earlier in the week which is gone now and it was very, very attractive i must say!!
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-28 00:24
with the new Hubsan coming soon to an airspace near you surely DJI have  a stake to hold as they fee ...

I won't give up my 2 perfectly good birds for something that will be filled with startup production bugs.  I even passed on the Inspire 1.
2015-3-27
Use props
evanmilewski
lvl.1

United States

I got my V+ last month but returned it two weeks ago because of a bad camera and was waiting for my credit card to get the money posted back to it so I could reorder a new one; now I am glad and I can wait for the P3. Either that or scoop up a V+ now while I can, as I heard that it has been discontinued so whatever is in the pipeline right now is it for V+. I think I will wait.
2015-3-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-28 00:07
All I hear are rumours and speculation.
Not that I am bothered either way as I have no intention of  ...

Right. Seems like they can't support what they have on the market right now. I'm sticking with what is working.....at least it's working for now.
2015-3-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most budding pilots are best following the 6 month (or even one year!) rule - that is, don't buy a model until it's been on the market that long.

Luckily there are enough pioneers around who will buy anything and everything even before it's announced...and do all the beta testing for us.

If you look around many of the best models are those which have been out a long time. The Hubsan X4 has been out two years - and it's still one of the best suggested starter quads. I'm not sure if Horizon ever got the 350 totally right - even after 1 1/2 years. RClogger took 1 1/2 years+ to get their mid-sized quad even basically sound (after announcement).

The Phantom is fairly mature - but I still suggest that a Phantom 1 might be better for many people.

The small amount of bragging rights that come with getting a new model aren't worthwhile to me....I'd rather watch all the pioneers get things in order and then buy when the product gets a couple software and hardware improvements.

I recently talked at length to a newbie who is a photographer - ends up he wants to do only stills. I suggested he pick up the $750 deal on the older Vision.

In the end these are tools and if the old hammer works there is no reason to buy a newer one.
2015-3-27
Use props
evanmilewski
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-28 00:48
Most budding pilots are best following the 6 month (or even one year!) rule - that is, don't buy a m ...

In general I agree...it better to let a new product be on the market for a while before diving into it. In my case on this though there are some limitations on the V+ that I was really unhappy about: the battery life was not up to a duration that I was really pleased with and the camera while very good was not as good for video as I desired. If I already had a V+ I would be fine with it, but since I don't and I need to buy now anyway, I would want to have the newest technology and "future proof" me at least a little while longer than the current V+. The technology is developing so quickly now and every few months brings so much more functionality than before. But I agree it comes down to what you need.
2015-3-27
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I completely agree with you guys who suggest waiting 6 months to 1 year before buying something that needs testing and probably some firmware updates to work out the various issues that seem to pop up with a new product.  I'm excited to see it and if the Phantom 2 prices drop, I may pick up another bird for backup or to teach others about the hobby.  

Scott
http://youtube.com/doctorrennie
2015-3-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you really want to buy a new release from DJI?
2015-3-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Phantom 3 = cheaper phantom 2 parts and accessories .   Great news
2015-3-27
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Agreed!  Looking forward in seeing what is released.  

Scott
http://youtube.com/doctorrennie
2015-3-29
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

I have read that it would be release soon!
2015-3-30
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I am already booked for NAB (National Association of Broadcasters). That is turning out to be a show for drones. With the new FAA commercial regulations, this year should be big. Expect every single news station in the world to pick up a few drones. They are way cheaper than most broadcast gear and the video is much better than what they can get from the ground. The first Phantom 2 Vision Plus I ever saw was at NAB last year. I knew I wanted one immediately.
2015-3-30
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It's somewhat strange that a guy named "demonseed" is the one big "in the know" person about this coming announcement. He knows all, I guess - maybe he is the devil?

Others described this unit before CES and said we'd see it there.....it turned out what folks thought was the P3 was the Inspire (back before Xmas).

I'm not saying it's not happening - but "I read it on the interweb" is not exactly an inside source. If, in fact, they are releasing a new bird then thousands of people already know about it - employees, beta testers, outside suppliers and maybe even some top retailers. Does anyone have any real confirmed links from this type of source?

DJI may just be really good at keeping secrets. On the other hand, if the devil (demon seed?) is correct, this bird will be <$1000 and meant more for the masses? If so, why would it go over big with professionals who spend the bucks to go to a show for pros?

Maybe it's modular and can be low cost....or high cost with a fancy camera.

But remember - from a marketing and sales viewpoint, it would be foolish for them to offer something which took pics as good as the Inspire - for 1/3 the price!

The way I see it the hole in their line is a lower end unit - if they did something like the BeBop (stabilized cam- no gimbal - smaller and lighter), but it actually worked with an R/C controller and sold for <$700, it would be a winner IMHO.

Who knows? I can say this. I am impressed by DJI's marketing dept. They seem to think hard about exactly what to build and why.
2015-3-30
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I think it would be great to see something in the price range of a BeBop that had a good controller with it!
2015-3-30
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

scott7161@gmail Posted at 2015-3-31 11:29
I think it would be great to see something in the price range of a BeBop that had a good controller  ...

I think this is the missing link - something very lightweight (about 1/2 KG) which would hurt people or property MUCH less if it fell or hit them - yet capable of "good enough" photography and video and basic flying. It could even have limited range - which would be fine for most hobbyists. After all, the BeBop in it's basic form can hardly go 150-200 feet. If DJI made something with even a 200 meter range and RTH when it went out of range, that would be fine for 95% of people - especially at $6-$700.

The Phantom is a great machine - but I think the basic idea of making a quad heavier and heavier will eventually be dated - at least as far as basic mass-market consumer models go. The safety issue is going to be front and center...IMHO...and lightweight units are generally much safer.
2015-3-30
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Good point about safety!  I like the Phantom for it's portability and weight because I can put it in a backpack and go but if there was another smaller & more light-weight option that DJI made that is reliable and easy to fly and even more portable, I'd love to see it. I'd probably carry it in my backpack everyday.  

I think we'll be seeing lots of quadcopters with cameras released in the next few months that are smaller and more lightweight than the Phantom 2 and also less expensive.  The BeBop is just not the quality that DJI is able to produce.  
2015-3-30
Use props
chris172
New

United Kingdom

Could this be a slip up on this website... advertising a new DJI for sale immanent
https://shop.epictv.com/en/products/built-in-camera-drones

Sounds like it's based on the 'Inspire'

This site also has the P2 v3+ inc extra batt for a really silly price... tempted.    but could be even more tempted with a new 'Triumph'
2015-3-31
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

chris172@sky.co Posted at 2015-3-31 23:01
Could this be a slip up on this website... advertising a new DJI for sale immanent
https://shop.epi ...

Very nteresting,
Triumph!..
My guesstimate is it will come in around $1,599.00 USD if what any of what was posted is accurate.
I could end up with another Thunderbird in my stable though my other is only 1600cc
2015-3-31
Use props
chris172
New

United Kingdom

Just asked a couple of questions on the website 'Chat'... they say they think it's the rumoured P3

No release date though
2015-3-31
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info!
2015-3-31
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

OK it's here! ;-) http://dronetechreport.com/dji-phantom-3-revealed/
2015-4-1
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2015-4-1 21:05

Ultrasonic ground detection sounds interesting
2015-4-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2015-4-1 21:05

The funny thing is - a lighter unit with a removable cam is what has been guessed by some!

So it's hard to tell and April Fools joke from the real thing...
2015-4-1
Use props
dmctom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126804 ft
Poland

Interesting... the only problem is that I'm getting 404 Page not found error. Has it been removed already?
2015-4-1
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

April's fool day??
2015-4-1
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like that has been taken down... Yup its gotta be an April Fool!
2015-4-1
Use props
dfeakins
lvl.1

United Kingdom

For those who haven't seen DJI's teaser video, their will be a live launch event tomorrow in London, Munich and New York!

You can see the video in our blog here: DJI Live Launch Event 2015

P.S. (Currently unknown on which product this will be for)

Thanks
2015-4-7
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

On phantom pilots there are picture extracted from new version of DJI app (the inspire app)...new p3 will be shown tomorrow
2015-4-7
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

memelivorno@gma Posted at 2015-4-7 20:40
On phantom pilots there are picture extracted from new version of DJI app (the inspire app)...new p3 ...

The price of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus is down to $600 on eBay so signs look good for a new drone very soon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311333329516
2015-4-7
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... s-and-prices.38066/

This was available for a few seconds on dJI website earlier today...
2015-4-7
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

All the Vision 2+ products are out of stock on the DJI site
2015-4-7
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-8 01:39
All the Vision 2+ products are out of stock on the DJI site

In the chat on their site they said it is discontinued
2015-4-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

droneking,
Wait till tomorrow, the Kimono comes off and we will see all the latest, after that, free for all for the P2V+ V3.0, P2V, P2 etc...
Twas the night before release, and all through the house,
Not a flyer was sleeping, not even a Grouse.
Their Phantoms were in wait by their launch pads with care,
In hopes that a new UAV would soon would be there.

Their battery’s were being charged and snug in their sockets,
While the flyers had visions of taking off smoothly, and not like bottle rockets.
My co-pilot was asleep and I ready for a nap,
When I started to dream, another firmware upgrade...Holy Crap!

When out on the release stage there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my slumber to see what was the chatter.
Away to the bank I flew like a flash,
Broke my account open to layout the cash.

The RC on the breast of a newly designed GUI,
As several before seemed to go kapooi.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a brand new UAV and a new way to steer.

With a little old computer and not a recommendation to upgrade to 3.10 so quick,
I knew in a moment it must be a fix.
More rapid than eagles via RTH they came,
No whistling or shouting, and no one to blame!

P1, P2, P2V and P2VPlus!
Come home on command, come home you must!
To the top of your RTH and beyond the top of the wall!
Come home, come home safely, come home all!"

And then, in a twinkling, I heard from some goof,
That non calibration could cause a spoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
I realized that goofs new UAV may not be RTH bound.

This new UAV was truly grand and as bright as an elf,
I gleamed with excitement as I had to poke myself.
A flash of its lights and in a blink or two,
I knew that I would be flying and it would be so smooth.

A flick of my RC and a slight tilt of my head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

While laying my finger at the side my nose,
Up, up, up and up it rose!
I spoke not a word as the new UAV went straight up,
It was truly amazing and better than 7-up.

I yelled to the sky and gave a whistle,
And away I flew and away from the thistle.
My co-pilot heard me exclaim as I flew out of sight,
I am flying again and it is a good night.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules