Landing gear
1889 30 2015-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I went out to scope out a location for a future project and decided to fly around while I was there... Unusually heavy winds yesterday. I was fighting the wind the whole time... This was a very frusterating shoot but helped me gain some lessons learned... First I have to say I am thrilled that I was able to get half of what I got under the circomstances... Using the Cinemisers was a huge benifit to me to acurately see what I was shooting and set exposure, Unfortunately I could not use them for most of the flying because there were a lot of string lights around the field, but once I had my exposure I was fine shooting line of sight... On to the problems I encountered besides the wind... I was so focused on trying to fly smoothly in the wind that I went through 4 batteries and forgot to record through 2 of them...{:2_38:} There was a small airfield right next door so I stayed below the treeline the whole time. I was trying to fly close to the ground but my landing gear kept going down.. I fought this the whole time... the inspire was constantly going from 2-5 feet high in hover and everytime it dipped the gear would go down....
Is there a way to prevent the landing gear from going down when I am flying low?

2015-3-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has been addressed in the new firmware.  You may want to be part of the beta test team.  Here is the link:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-3-27
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-28 01:56
This has been addressed in the new firmware.  You may want to be part of the beta test team.  Here i ...

Thanks Ed!
2015-3-27
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

This has been addressed in the new firmware.  You may want to be part of the beta test team.  Here i ...

Is there any estimate of time of when this next firmware will officially be released?
2015-3-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

We are doing a large scale test right now by enlisting 200 Inspire users.  I would assume that as soon as that is done it will be released.
2015-3-27
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Nice work on the video Mark.
2015-3-28
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ye, nice video Mark.
2015-3-28
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Cool video Mark, did you shoot this for your own personal collection or do you put this up on the Internet somewhere for sale?  I'm just curious, would this sell if you posted it on some stock footage site?
2015-3-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ed, I was going to enlist but I don't have a third person to accomplish the 3rd party video recording.
2015-3-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice footage Mark. Nothing wrong with that DJI camera that is for sure. Nice to see something on the positive side instead of a complaint. If I may ask, was the camera in Auto or did you use manual settings?
Thanks
2015-3-28
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! This was just recreational... I was just scouting a location for a larger project... I am bummed that I forgot to hit the record button on 2 of my batteries... I had some great shots (or would have had) flying in and through the structures... that was hard to do and used up all my mental abilities to not crash the inspire with the wind whirling all around and tossing the inspire around... Not sure about stock footage I never looked into it... I should tho considering the amount of stock footage I get throughout the year....

Video was recorded with manual settings.:
4k 30fps
log 0 -2 -2
ND filter
ISO 100
Shutter around 500 (could not get lower) come on ND8 & ND16!!
White balance 5600
Used a LUT for grading

I did not notice it until I posted but I tried to slow down the footage a bit in post by adding it to a 24p timeline. I see some stutter in some of the footage so I I think I will add it to a 30p time line and reset the timing to 100%...

Personally, I just could never see the iPad screen during the day so I always ended up underexposing the footage slightly which seems to exaggerate the compression artifacts...  Using the Cinemisers to accurately set my exposure made a world of difference to me.

FCPX for editing.
Luts:
Film Convert- http://filmconvert.com
mLut - http://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-68.html

Would love to know what LUTs others are using.
2015-3-28
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very well done. Great choice of music. Fits the mood and pace of the video footage.
2015-3-28
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-3-29 13:34
Very well done. Great choice of music. Fits the mood and pace of the video footage.

Thank you! I am having a blast flying this thing around. and loving it even more as I learn to leverage the cameras abilities... I was getting so frustrated by the footage I was capturing before I got the cenemizers... Here is a video I shot just the day before I got the cinemizers... I am not happy with the exposures I was getting while looking at the iPad... I decided to camp out at this location and get some cool night lapse shots with a couple of go pro 4s and a couple of 1DXs...

2015-3-28
Use props
houston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Man, Zeiss cinemizer is very cool. So do these replace your iPad when flying or is in parallel?
2015-3-29
Use props
houston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-3-30 00:24
Man, Zeiss cinemizer is very cool. So do these replace your iPad when flying or is in parallel?

Would like to see some images of how you have this hooked up to your Inspire 1.
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-3-30 00:24

used in parallel with the iPad...Others don't seem to have an issue looking at the iPad but I just can't see it at all..... I really only use the cinemizers briefly to check exposure and occasionally as FPV when flying above obstacles...
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Very cool, but I guess it is only a matter of time before flying with FPV goggles is banned by respective Aviation Authorities.  

How do you see your controller with those goggles on your head and if someone else or Second controller/ Camera operator is using the camera how to you maintain vision of where the aircraft is flying unless there is a second Pilot camera fitted.

Cool technology, but not sure or convinced it is the right application used with UAVs.  I think if you are going to use these, you need more Observers and Spotters for the flight operations.

Some UAV flying clubs in the UK have actually banned all FPV use.
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 00:38
Very cool, but I guess it is only a matter of time before flying with FPV goggles is banned by respe ...

It is easy enough to see around the glasses... You can easily see below and above the glasses with a tilt of the head and a shift of the eyes. As I said. I mainly just use these glasses to set exposure and fly fpv when I know there are no obstacles. If I have the sunshade on them it is a little tougher to see around but there is enough gap at the top to tilt your head and see the bird above... My ears are my biggest allies... I can find my bird more often with my ears than I can with my eyes... I am not a dare devil running around using FPV.. I use them for the practical application.. When it is not practical I rest them on my forehead...
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-30 00:45
It is easy enough to see around the glasses... You can easily see below and above the glasses with  ...

Mark,

Not suggesting for one minute that you dont use responsibly.

Just my opinion that I can see Aviation Athorities having some input on these in the future.  

Out of interest, have you got a second camera on your aircraft ?  If the Camera Operator controls the camera gimbal does this effect your view.
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

No I don't have the FPV camera... I have only tried to shoot with a second controler once and it was not a fun experience... I don't know how to get a clean signal to both controllers... and I kinda like having control of flight and camera... I am not a fan of big movements... so when I am filming it is usually a simple tilt or pan while flying in a given direction... If I am ever in a situation that I can't handle camera and flight I would let the camera man use the glasses while I fly LOS...
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-30 01:01
No I don't have the FPV camera... I have only tried to shoot with a second controler once and it was ...

Mark,

That sounds like a good alternative letting the Camera Man use the FPV Goggles and may even provide the camera operator a clean visual on what he is recording, whilst you retain VLOS with the aircraft and fly it to get the shots desired.

Now I can see this option being very useful for a Camera Operator.
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 01:08
Mark,

That sounds like a good alternative letting the Camera Man use the FPV Goggles and may even ...

Yes IMO these are for camera operation first and foremost... I posted in another thread that my grandfather likes to join me while I fly... he can't see the screen so he is constantly stumbling around trying to watch the inspire instead... Now when he is with me I put the glasses on him and he can really enjoy the FPV while I fly...
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-28 23:06
Thanks! This was just recreational... I was just scouting a location for a larger project... I am bu ...

Thanks for the info Guy. Video is new to me. I find that the terminology is different than Photography although most if it means the same thing. Thanks for sharing.
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-30 01:14
Thanks for the info Guy. Video is new to me. I find that the terminology is different than Photogr ...

Anytime. I am new to flying so I am constantly going through this forum to try to get a better understanding of issues....
2015-3-29
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-3-30 00:26
Would like to see some images of how you have this hooked up to your Inspire 1.

simple hookup through the HDMI port. I used velcro to mount the battery pack to the controller. I need to get a shorter HDMI cord but for now I have it spooled at the bottom...

IMG_0439.JPG
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-30 01:22
Anytime. I am new to flying so I am constantly going through this forum to try to get a better und ...

Again thanks for the info. It is great to share with us. Always a learning experience from others.
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-30 07:16
simple hookup through the HDMI port. I used velcro to mount the battery pack to the controller. I n ...

I did the same thing with mine. I am not to keen on after market products. I just coiled up my Apple Thunderbolt cord. No issues at all.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-30 01:22
Anytime. I am new to flying so I am constantly going through this forum to try to get a better und ...

Mark,

The forum is full  of Inspire users who are very helpful and provide honest answers.  Then there are the foum moderators such as Ed who chips in now and again with his valuable experience.

Alltogether it is a very informative and supportive group, lets hope it continues for everyones benefit.
2015-3-30
Use props
houston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1, thanks for posting the picture. I look forward to getting a pair of these in the future.
2015-3-30
Use props
rustysilverwing
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7962966 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-28 11:16
We are doing a large scale test right now by enlisting 200 Inspire users.  I would assume that as so ...

Any idea on when the beta might start? My flights are pre-disasters now because of the incessant GPS and compass difficulties.
Thanks.
2015-3-30
Use props
cbcirrus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9121 ft
United States

At the risk of erring on the side of safety,  just wondering if anyone here noticed the flight takes place on the approach end of an airport with the prevailing wind (check the weathervane) potentially placing the Inspire directly in the path of landing aircraft.  I would take video down before you get a not so pleasant visit from the local FSDO.
2015-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules