BETA TESTING
2323 31 2015-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

So they bring out a Beta testing...Umm were we not allready beta testing without the knowledge and no offers of rewards

2015-3-27
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

The biggest reward is the knowledge you get
2015-3-27
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I like that they are doing this... Wish they had done it from the start... I won't be doing it...Just to much work involved with the flight logs and 3rd party recording requirements. But I am glad that they are enlisting the help from the community. Maybe the next firmware release will go over with fewer problems.  Word of advice for forum: make the announcements easier to find. The sticky thing is a joke. I just scroll right past that junk thinking its the same stuff I've seen every day.
2015-3-27
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's great that DJI is offering this program. The greater community will benefit from it.

However, I recommend that those of you that are interested in being beta testers make your decision with your eyes wide open. You will be testing firmware that is not yet considered ready for release and can contain issues ranging from small to fatal. Even though DJI is graciously offering repairs due to crashes from beta issues, I have learned from experience that they are overwhelmed with repairs and you may be without an inspire for at least a month from the time you send it in for repairs. It took three weeks before I found out mine was not repairable. And it will take a few more (I don't know how many yet) to get a replacement.

Having spent my entire career in the software business I've learned to not use beta software on anything where I can't afford catastrophic failure. And I've found that even when I can afford catastrophic failure, it can be so unpleasant that I just don't beta test anything anymore. So, word of advice -- yes, you get to see and play with the coolest new features first, but you also risk being the pioneer with the arrow in your back. Proceed with caution. And for those of you that choose to be beta testers -- I want to personally thank you. You will help all of us have a better experience with our Inspires.

2015-3-27
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Wise words Abe...I worked in R&D with Nortel Networks for 10 years as Design Support and while Beta testing is essential and I applaud the  folks doing  it...I think I will take a pass on it this time....Got my hands full with  version 17...Its become an every flight occurrence where it drops out of GPS and into Atti mode...Sometimes momentarily sometimes longer...Good luck guys and gals...
2015-3-28
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

i posted similar views on the actual beta thread  about beta testing  my post was deleted  :-( i am not a sucker for pain thankyou very much..i will pass
2015-3-28
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to think that if your craft crashes while testing for THEM with YOUR craft, that you would move to the front of the line for repairs. If not, why take the risk. The benefits to DJI are great, but the cost to those who dare tread in dangerous waters are potentially fraught with disappointment considering what's at risk. I agree with Dundee about the knowledge being the great benefit, but there is a point at which knowledge become a diminishing return for your risk.  As beneficial as this will be in the long run for all of us who have made this investment with DJI, there could be a lot of collateral damage.

Its a bit of a conundrum for DJI. Keep putting out under tested firmware only to painfully learn at a snails pace the errors while customer relations plummets to the ground like a fly away drone, or speed things along at the risk of loosing a few test pilots as customers.

It will be interesting to see how this goes but like  Abe and Marktho1 say, it is a step forward for us all if it works out.

Still patiently waiting for the return of my bird.

Houston
2015-3-28
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Why do they make you upload s picture of your passport, is there anything else you can upload?
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

tpallai Posted at 2015-3-29 23:22
Why do they make you upload s picture of your passport, is there anything else you can upload?

What do you need your passport photo for and who has asked for it ????
2015-3-29
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 00:08

In the instructions of how to sign up for the program it says that you have to upload a picture of your passport to your account and then in the registration form paste the link to that picture.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tpallai Posted at 2015-3-30 05:54
In the instructions of how to sign up for the program it says that you have to upload a picture of ...

Can you not provide your forum avatar ??
2015-3-29
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 05:57
Can you not provide your forum avatar ??

No you have to upload you psssport to your account not as your avatar. If you read the document with the instructions in how to sign up for the program it explains the steps.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tpallai Posted at 2015-3-30 06:04
No you have to upload you psssport to your account not as your avatar. If you read the document wi ...

Cant understand why they need a personal photo
2015-3-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since I did not set up the program I cannot comment on the issues of required documentation.  I will pass on your concerns to DJI.  However, since I have been flying this firmware for close to a month, I can say that we have discovered no fatal flaws in a limited global test.  That is why it is being expanded.  You can never duplicate the conditions of a release but we are trying to minimize any negative impacts on our customers.
2015-3-29
Use props
mlebout
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80635728 ft
Canada

Where is the "Beta Testing Program Page"?
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-28 23:04
Wise words Abe...I worked in R&D with Nortel Networks for 10 years as Design Support and while Beta  ...

Nortel? Keltron?
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-3-29 23:22

Any legit ID, Drivers License, etc. They just want to make sure you are who you say you are.
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 00:08

Not specifically a Passport upload. Any recognized ID, Drivers License, etc,
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-30 08:09
Since I did not set up the program I cannot comment on the issues of required documentation.  I will ...

Great thoughts and the best move. Everyone is not alike.
2015-3-29
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mlebout@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-30 09:18
Where is the "Beta Testing Program Page"?

At the top of the menu.
2015-3-29
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Thank You Tahoe Ed for the input...Its a smart approach and reassures me that DJI is trying to put in the Due Diligence...However, the operative word is "MAY"fix your bird and assumes no liability if it is due to the Beta Testing....I'm still a NO for a Beta Tester..

.And Rodger, during its heyday Nortel Networks employed over 100,00 people worldwide with 95% of all calls in Canada and 75% in the USA calls handled on its switches...  At one point CISCO and Nortel were looking at merging but both CEOs egos got in the way...Then Nortel shot itself in one foot and then the other and 100,000 + people lost their jobs.
2015-3-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-30 10:32
Thank You Tahoe Ed for the input...Its a smart approach and reassures me that DJI is trying to put i ...

If you read the test agreement, we cover damages caused by firmware issues.  We do not cover pilot error.  Fly safely and you are covered if the firmware misbehaves, crash based on pilot error is on your dime.  Remember the flight data logs are available to see exactly what happened.  I would not advise the beta test for a beginning pilot.  You need to have some experience to be able to provide valuable feedback.
2015-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-3-28 11:49
The biggest reward is the knowledge you get

Hey Dundee, Have you tried the latest version of Beta (firmware) software yet. Can you say what some of the changes are?
2015-3-29
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-3-30 11:49
Hey Dundee, Have you tried the latest version of Beta (firmware) software yet. Can you say what so ...

Hi Rich,
Users who joined the beta test are not allowed to reveal the firmware or the methods.
Hope you understand why DJI put this condition in place.
2015-3-29
Use props
Minmim81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7780965 ft
Australia

it is still the 30th of march in Sydney, and was hoping I didn't miss the deadline for beta testing... can I do it DJI?
2015-3-30
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Tahoe Ed ...I did read the agreement and under Responsibilities..article 1. it clearly states the following: DJI may, at its discretion, the operative word is May and not Will  cover repairs and damages with the context being the Inspire 1 only.  While I have no doubt that DJI under the majority of circumstances will uphold the spirit of the agreement in good faith...It is what happens when things go South that such simple but key words speaks volumes...It is obvious that the agreement has been sanitized by the legal types to cover such circumstances. This is as it should be, DJI is looking after DJIs interests...Also under Article 3 paragraph 2 DJI states the following: Under the aforementioned circumstances, DJI may assist with the costs of maintenance and repairs for a damaged Inspire 1, but shall not bear any further liability. There is that little word May again and it also states that DJI assumes no further liability other than repairs and damages to the Inspire 1...My interpretation of the context is that if things go South even if its due to the Beta software damages to the Inspire 1 are covered but assumes no liability...Again, this is as it should be and DJI is looking after DJIs interests...Participants would be well advised to check with their insurance companies to see if they are covered for liability in Beta testing...Also they should see what the regulators in their respective countries feel about  being Beta testers ...As my dear old grandmother used to say "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  If an Inspire 1 owner has factored those thing in to their decision then go for it and you will have every Inspire 1 owners repect and thanks for making the world a safer place for us all...
2015-3-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-3-30 12:27
Hi Rich,
Users who joined the beta test are not allowed to reveal the firmware or the methods.
Hop ...

Thanks Dundee, I thought this might be the case.

Well we look forward to the fixes they have in store for us.
2015-3-30
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Haven't we BEEN beta testing already? Seems to me we have.
2015-3-30
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

No...We are not Beta Testers but First Adopters...There was it appears some Beta Testing prior to the release of the product ....It may seem like parsing or playing with words but if things dont work out there can be lots of issues around this. .With Beta Testing it is all about making your product better and safer because you are having or have had issues...Try asking Transport Canada  or your insurance company and mention Beta testing...At the very least it will raise a few eyebrows...The first people adopting new untested software prior to release to the general public  at the very least will probably attract more scrutiny no matter how noble the cause...That might be enough to invalidate your exemption and move you up to an SFOC which is a 125 page document with the Beta test being long gone before its approved...As first adopters Transport Canada is allowing us to operate under exemptions and I have been able to convince my insurance company that I will be flying in a safe manner...This is based on the premise that a Billion dollar company like DJI has done their Due Diligence ...It might also be enough to significantly bump up my insurance premiums...Why do think DJI will not cover liability for Beta Testers and use words like May instead of Will or Shall...From the first letter to the last word the Beta test is a Legally binding document which also implies an NDA or Non Disclosure Agreement...As a First Adopter I am not signing on to this document and as a Beta Tester I am assuming greater Risk and liability...
2015-3-31
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

They say they ( may ) cover damage to aircraft? More than likely will and you would get the $500 dollar reward for destroying your $3500 Inspire. But I question the disclaimer that states they aren't responsible for any third party damage ie, your Inspire goes berserk and smokes into someone's car causing a fatal accident 5 km away? You may have a fatal flaw in your firmware? Perhaps, people should rethink the legal side of of liability before venturing into an agreement like this? Clearly DJI did when then wrote the disclaimer. Sure they worded it a tad differently but that's what it means they waive any liability beyond the damage to the aircraft, you are responsible for all other damage or death or disfigurement. For some reason this doesn't sound like a favourable arrangement for the beta tester? This is more akin to guinea pig. I have a business and a family to protect and this contract is a definite red flag for me.
2015-3-31
Use props
ruddy951
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59324 ft
United States

You won't see me as a beta tester... Rewards for finding bugs .. That's funny!  How many of you got a reward on the Easter egg event? Hmmm sounds like a hollow promise to me and a chance to loose a 3k+ bird .
2015-4-1
Use props
ruddy951
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59324 ft
United States

Matter of fact I will give anyone here 300 dollars for your inspire right now and I will save you the crash.
2015-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules