Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suspect fake battery, any way to tell?
12042 34 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nothos
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Folks,
Recently purchased a " Genuine 15.2V 4480mAh Battery Pack DJI Phantom 3 Professional Advanced Standard" from an ebay seller who state they are an authorised DJI reseller.  This wasn't one of the cheap ones - I expected those to be fakes.

The box arrived damaged, and the battery was damaged too - the top had been cracked off. I am tossing up between disputing for damaged (which means I'll get a replacement) or counterfeit. The reason I suspect counterfeit is that the plastic is missing some of the finer details, and the build quality is just a bit... off. The crease in the metal side also looks like it was there from factory - but it may be damage. I've attached some pictures - my main question is if DJI ever use green circuit boards? All the other ones I've seen are black.
Cheers Ash

circuit board

circuit board

crease

crease
2017-8-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I would not be concerned, there have been almost no real cases of counterfeit batteries, and the few that turned up were obvious fakes, you could tell by the look of them. And green solder resist on a PCB is standard. DJI may not even make their own batteries.
2017-8-14
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha nothos,

You can always post the serial number for the battery and one of the moderators can check it for you.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Generally, there will be serial number on the bottom of the battery. Please PM me the SN, I'd like to check it.
2017-8-15
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-15 23:59
Generally, there will be serial number on the bottom of the battery. Please PM me the SN, I'd like to check it.

Aloha Susan,

Mahalo for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-16
Use props
MaxP4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Me also i have some doubt... i have some batteries for Phantom 4 with different layout, one with screw and one without, and different warnings...
DJI - Susan i send you my serials, Thanks.
IMG_3286.jpg IMG_3285.jpg
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MaxP4 Posted at 2017-8-16 01:10
Me also i have some doubt... i have some batteries for Phantom 4 with different layout, one with screw and one without, and different warnings...
DJI - Susan i send you my serials, Thanks.
[view_image][view_image]

Received with thanks! I have checked the SN in our system, confirmed that both are DJI batteries. The layout will be different due to different batches. No worries.
2017-8-16
Use props
nothos
lvl.1

Australia

Hi folks, an update : The vendor sent me a replacement for the damaged one, but the new one has turned up with this serial on the outside : 6171152826860 but the dji go app says it is : 6171160627108. Putting that second serial number into google comes back with results from someone else who had that serial number.... not inspiring confidence. Has anyone else got a genuine battery with different serial numbers being shown on the app? My two known genuine ones have the same number on the sticker and the app.

Cheers
Ash
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

nothos Posted at 2017-8-29 16:59
Hi folks, an update : The vendor sent me a replacement for the damaged one, but the new one has turned up with this serial on the outside : 6171152826860 but the dji go app says it is : 6171160627108. Putting that second serial number into google comes back with results from someone else who had that serial number.... not inspiring confidence. Has anyone else got a genuine battery with different serial numbers being shown on the app? My two known genuine ones have the same number on the sticker and the app.

Cheers

Could you post the picture SN of battery bottom and APP? I'd like to look into it.
2017-8-31
Use props
nothos
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-31 19:21
Could you post the picture SN of battery bottom and APP? I'd like to look into it.

Hi agian,
Hopefully they attached, first is the sticker, then the app. The next two are some casting differences between the batteries, might be just different versions... The slot picture is on the side, at the end of the battery - the known genuine one (on the right) has a retaining bump, but the questionable one doesn't. The last picture is looking at the ribs on the connector top - the one on the right is the known genuine one.
Cheers
Ash
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1745.PNG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

nothos Posted at 2017-9-1 03:45
Hi agian,
Hopefully they attached, first is the sticker, then the app. The next two are some casting differences between the batteries, might be just different versions... The slot picture is on the side, at the end of the battery - the known genuine one (on the right) has a retaining bump, but the questionable one doesn't. The last picture is looking at the ribs on the connector top - the one on the right is the known genuine one.
Cheers

I have forwarded to our engineers for further review, and will come back soon.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-1 23:58
I have forwarded to our engineers for further review, and will come back soon.

May I know which dealer did you get the battery? It looks very strange and suspicious. I would recommend you to contact the dealer for double check.
2017-9-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

My question is :

Does the battery work ?

Nigel
2017-9-14
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Susan..there are already ppl in China Cloning it..but it fails after a few times which my friend used it..and never ever try it again...
Screenshot_2017-09-01-19-08-04.jpg
2017-9-14
Use props
nothos
lvl.1

Australia

Hi folks, With the question of "does it work"  - I don't know, haven't been game to try it more than just powering up the quad before I got word back from Susan.
Not sure If I can post a link - but here goes: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genui ... :g:HhwAAOSwzWpZjnAO

If that didn't work - the seller is moluo2017

The seller is adamant it is not counterfeit...

The picture in the post directly above is an obvious counterfeit one - my one looks much closer to genuine... just not perfect.
2017-9-14
Use props
PoZZyy
New
Flight distance : 8724 ft

Australia

Don't buy a battery from: eshop-best, 15-2V-4-5Ah-for-DJI-Phantom3-Professional-Standard-Advanced-Intelligent-Battery with 36 months warranty

I have no idea why i bought it the front lights aren't the same. First battery went in and came up reading battery cell has failed. Put the second one in and it kept saying image transmission has failed even though the camera was working fine and i could see the image
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Siambuddhas Gro Posted at 2017-9-14 08:43
Susan..there are already ppl in China Cloning it..but it fails after a few times which my friend used it..and never ever try it again...

Sorry about this. Does anybody hurt? A tough lesson...
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

nothos Posted at 2017-9-14 16:09
Hi folks, With the question of "does it work"  - I don't know, haven't been game to try it more than just powering up the quad before I got word back from Susan.
Not sure If I can post a link - but here goes: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-15-2V-4480mAh-Battery-Pack-DJI-Phantom-3-Professional-Advanced-Standard-/272842214992?hash=item3f86a9ce50:g:HhwAAOSwzWpZjnAO

Sir, I have received your message in PM. For the battery cell broken, please try to drain the battery and fully charge to see any difference. As for the image transmission failed, it might be the misinformation. If you have the third battery, please try and verify.

Also, according to all details you offered, I can not confirm whether it is DJI's battery or not. For fake DJI battery, we are sorry DJI will not offer aftersale service, please contact the seller to arrange return.
2017-9-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

general rule of thumb here is listen to your gut, if your gut is screaming its fake, its fake..just looking at the battery i can tell you it doesn't strike me as DJi quality..

i would file dispute for counterfeit/dangerous product and get your money back.. even if the battery turns out to be legit, it is peace of mind putting your money into known real battery in the meantime..

clone batteries are very dangerous! specially lithium based!  most batteries that fail catastrophically tend to be cloned batteries or batteries that are horribly engineered.  they may not blow up or catch fire while in use, but rather fail on a charger or something while you sleep, which is by far the most dangerous..and it happens alot, alot of house fires occur because of batteries failing/protection failing on cloned products, specially around holiday seasons when the rate of fakes increase dramatically....
its not worth the money you could save, better off slowly aquiring legit Dji batteries from legit sources like DJi themselves.. not spending money on potentially dangerious clones that could burst into flames mid air or burn house diown when ur sleeping ..
2017-9-27
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-27 18:39
Sorry about this. Does anybody hurt? A tough lesson...

nobody..luckily the kids were sitting away from the drone bag.. but still freak out.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Siambuddhas Gro Posted at 2017-9-27 21:18
nobody..luckily the kids were sitting away from the drone bag.. but still freak out.

Thank God! Wish you have a great time to get rid of psychological shadow.
2017-9-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-27 19:54
general rule of thumb here is listen to your gut, if your gut is screaming its fake, its fake..just looking at the battery i can tell you it doesn't strike me as DJi quality..

i would file dispute for counterfeit/dangerous product and get your money back.. even if the battery turns out to be legit, it is peace of mind putting your money into known real battery in the meantime..

Can I ask what Beer you are drinking ?

I am definitely interested in your claim about clone batterys ! It certainly does not agree with anything I or any of the many users of LiPo's I know ...

In fact the only P3 battery I know to have failed for reason other than crash / user error - has been a DJI original !

The saga of the anti 3rd Party Batterys continues ......

Nigel
2017-9-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-9-29 05:24
Can I ask what Beer you are drinking ?

I am definitely interested in your claim about clone batterys ! It certainly does not agree with anything I or any of the many users of LiPo's I know ...

well, maybe you didn't hear about the old news with hoverboards and stuff..  back couple years ago especially, those bursted into flames from lack of protection or poor quality protection.  that's an example of how poorly engineered batteries are dangerous.  

and most people making clones dont care because catching them is hard.   not to say that isnt companies that maybe reputable making alternative battery options and do take care, however a random seller on ebay with mismatched serial numbers and non matching labels, doesn't sound like that type of company.

dont get it mixed up, alterntive battery options vs cloned is differant.... cloned typically = poorly engineered and not reputable, sloppy, like this guy's example.  too many red flags here.

im not on any badnwagon for or against 3rd party batteries, im just agaisnt poorly engineerred batteries specially lithium batteries being poorly engineered..
2017-9-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The Hoverboard fiasco was NOT about battery alone ... in fact most checks of 'cheap' HB's showed it was not the battery - but the electronics associated with the power side.

Even the Nokia and recently Samsung fiascos - were about control SW not the batterys themselves.
The trick is not to read the 'Newspaper articles' but dig deeper - often a different story comes out.

LiPo batterys are not as some people think manufactured in a thousand different factories - its actually far less than you imagine. Factorys manufacture on contract and battery labeled out as per Brand Contract. Same factory produces same battery but sells out to clone seller.

I agree that there are some highly dubious items - but luckily very few. Even recognised brands get it wrong and a batch can come of the line with faults .... happens with every manufactured product.

You think that DJI make their own batterys ?? No they don't - they are contracted batterys. I spend a reasonable amount of time in China as my business requires it. Believe me - you can see items coming of line one direc tion for labelling ... with same going another direction for different label.
Because the Brand name is 'economically challenged' to stop it - it continues. It relies on Brand name to sell its labeled products.

A good example is in Sport Shoes. For many years - Marathons required Sport Shoes to be inspected before race to ensure OEM, why ? Because of possible injury to runner in substandard shoes. So why did that stop in many places a few years back ? Because it was shown the 'fake' shoes were in fact same as the OEM's .... PLUS the fact that awareness campaigns to convince users to buy only OEM by the Brand names, regardless of whether substandard or not.

As regards Alternative vs Cloned ............. there is only one way to produce a battery to work in DJI .... CLONED or COPIED .... alternative is a vague non-specific term.

I too am against poorly engineered batterys or any item in fact .... but am also a realist.

Nigel
2017-9-29
Use props
fansc46bc539
New
Sri Lanka

@dji susan I bought a spark battery can I check whether its genuine or fake?
2017-12-17
Use props
kentatas
lvl.1

Vietnam

solentlife Posted at 2017-9-29 06:24
The Hoverboard fiasco was NOT about battery alone ... in fact most checks of 'cheap' HB's showed it was not the battery - but the electronics associated with the power side.

Even the Nokia and recently Samsung fiascos - were about control SW not the batterys themselves.

Any way to check this out?
2018-1-10
Use props
mazo78
lvl.4

i need help
is it battery original or fakr ??
2019-9-23
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

mazo78 Posted at 9-23 11:00
i need help
is it battery original or fakr ??
[view_image]

The serial number you gave is real and it's in DJI's database, however you need to check the serial number of the battery inside the DJI GO 4 app, while the drone is powered, or at the very least the sticker serial number that is stuck to the battery.
2019-9-23
Use props
djiuser_mlRnSAplcnAa
New

United States

Susan, I sent the serial number of three batteries via PM.  Curious if they are genuine DJI.  Having issues since firmware update.  The GO App doesn't report any battery info.
2020-1-24
Use props
djiuser_uD2XVz8UHyKz
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-15 23:59

Hi Susan I just purchased two Mavic mini batteries off of Amazon and the label is not exactly the same has a web link to an India government website on it, it has also a serial number listed on it and wanted to check to see if it was legitimate.
2020-9-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_uD2XVz8UHyKz Posted at 9-22 16:14
Hi Susan I just purchased two Mavic mini batteries off of Amazon and the label is not exactly the same has a web link to an India government website on it, it has also a serial number listed on it and wanted to check to see if it was legitimate.

You may send me PM of the serial numbers to double confirm.
2020-9-23
Use props
Havoc481
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 9-23 06:19
You may send me PM of the serial numbers to double confirm.

I did earlier thank you in advance
2020-9-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Havoc481 Posted at 9-23 19:20
I did earlier thank you in advance

Received and replied.
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_ZXmUZ3TRL6z9
New
Flight distance : 28123 ft

Austria

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-16 18:16
Received with thanks! I have checked the SN in our system, confirmed that both are DJI batteries. The layout will be different due to different batches. No worries.

Hey there,

Could you please check this serial number of one of my batteries for the phantom 3:

Thanks!!
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_ZXmUZ3TRL6z9 Posted at 4-26 06:42
Hey there,

Could you please check this serial number of one of my batteries for the phantom 3:

Hi there, as per the serial number, the battery is legit. Please rest assured.
2023-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules