972 9 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spoon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9436 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

Had my Spark a few weeks now and with bad weather and other things not had the chance to test it yet. Been reading lots of things on here and FB groups about best practices etc.

One seems to be to redo a compass calibration each time my question - is the calibration data stored in the Spark itself or the battery, i.e is it a calibration each time you use a new battery or just one from each new flight location?
2017-8-15
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

you should never re calibrate unless the app tells you to, doing calibrations can lead to problems if not in the right environment. as for where it is stored. i suspect in the drone its self.
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I go with Thor 1, here.

Actually, the "every flight" and the "not at all, before app tells you" groups are quiet strong with there opinion.
I have calibrated my compass (I am a newbie too, got it last week, but flew it a couple of times already) on a promissing remote field, no wifi around, no antennas, no nothing.
And have no intention, to do it again in this area.
Not before the app tells me or before the drone is acting different to the flighing at that location.
But I have in mind, b/c I am planning to fly somwhere with the drone in my luggage, to calibrate it again if some flight hours away frome "home".

Not sure if that is needed, but there I say: better safe than sorry
2017-8-15
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-15 03:31
I go with Thor 1, here.

Actually, the "every flight" and the "not at all, before app tells you" groups are quiet strong with there opinion.

i am unsure if you should calibrate in different places. if you do calibrate though make sure you are at least 10 meters away from any metal, concrete, cell phones(including your own) and the dji spark controller. all of these things can cause errors in your compass and confuse the drone.
2017-8-15
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-15 03:38
i am unsure if you should calibrate in different places. if you do calibrate though make sure you are at least 10 meters away from any metal, concrete, cell phones(including your own) and the dji spark controller. all of these things can cause errors in your compass and confuse the drone.

If you go far enough away, you should recalibrate. This is to reallign with the earths magnetic declination.

And by far enough away, I mean a hundred km or so.

As for 10M from everything....just make sure you are away from significant sources of ferrous metal (iron or steel) or AC power lines. Those will throw off the calibration. This includes concrete (usually contains rebar), near overhead power lines, park picnic tables with metal frames, or carbon surfaces.

Note that depending on your home construction, it may not be good to do it indoors, as you may have a steel frame or support beam, or there could be a power line just under the floor.

Your phone and RC will have no effect on calibration unless you are holding those devices on the drone when doing it. In reality, being more than 1-2M from any metal should not have much effect, but better to be extra careful when calibrating.
2017-8-15
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-15 04:32
If you go far enough away, you should recalibrate. This is to reallign with the earths magnetic declination.

And by far enough away, I mean a hundred km or so.

i agree but i say 10 meters because some people think 2 inches look like 12 if you know what i mean.
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"This is to reallign with the earths magnetic declination. "

That's what I had in mind.  
Fly an hour south or north, or 2 or 3 h (with a jet lol) of the last drone-flight position, there is a chance, the drone is reading the information a bit different!

As I wrote: Better safe than sorry.
2017-8-15
Use props
Spoon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9436 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone
2017-8-15
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's not a bad thing to calibrate compass every time. A good habit is always important. Calibrating compass must be required when the message pops up.
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules