Warm Batteries when stored
5823 10 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

I charged all of my batteries and put them away a few days ago. First thing I noticed today (about 4 days later) was the battery sitting in the MP was warm and the battery level was a little lowere than full charged - I then checked the other 3 batteries and they were also warm. Is this normal when not in use? Thanks. I wonder if the batteries are still 'on' but I'm sure I did turn them off. Also, shouldn't the battery turn off if not connected and not being used after a period of time just in case they are not switched off properly?

2017-8-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It depends on how long you have your auto-discharge set for.  If they were self discharging per schedule, they will run very slightly warmer than normal until they get down to around 50%, and then will cool down again.  I haven't taken the temp on my Mavic, but my Phantom batteries run about 1 degree C warmer during self-discharge.  It takes about 3 days to discharge to around 55% for those.
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Do not worry, it is a normal phenomenon. Please check below:
Battery Storage.png
2017-8-15
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-15 19:32

Thank you for this information - I have only had the MP for a couple of days and trying to learn all of it as quick as possible. Honestly have never heard of this being a feature of other batteries but I like the safety aspect of the design that helps prevent swelling.

Really appreciate your response.
2017-8-15
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

The batteries have the auto-discharge ability even when not plugged into the Mavic, right?
2017-8-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Correct.  Pull the batteries and let them sit and they will still discharge after the timer runs down.  IF YOU PUSH THE BUTTON BEFORE IT STARTS TO DISCHARGE, it will reset the timer and you'll not start discharging until the same amount of time passes again (time set in your menus).  In other words, if you set it for three days and you test it before the three days is up, it will be another three days before it discharges.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Doots Posted at 2017-8-16 11:34
The batteries have the auto-discharge ability even when not plugged into the Mavic, right?

Yes, the battery has the auto-discharge ability. I would recommend you to check the battery guidelines for  better understanding: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... tery+Safety+Guides+(EN).pdf
2017-8-17
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-8-16 19:39
Correct.  Pull the batteries and let them sit and they will still discharge after the timer runs down.  IF YOU PUSH THE BUTTON BEFORE IT STARTS TO DISCHARGE, it will reset the timer and you'll not start discharging until the same amount of time passes again (time set in your menus).  In other words, if you set it for three days and you test it before the three days is up, it will be another three days before it discharges.

Thanks for this really interesting information.
2017-9-8
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I wouldn't let fully charged battery sit around that long that's just going to kill your batteries in the long run I would set it to discharge most two days if you're not going to use them
2017-9-8
Use props
FlyTheGlobe
New
Sri Lanka

Awesome, thanks for the info.
2022-7-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

FlyTheGlobe Posted at 7-26 19:33
Awesome, thanks for the info.

No problems. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
2022-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules