2986 43 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

DSaunders Posted at 2017-8-20 15:05
Installed new firmware in my P4 last week. Hadn't flown since June so it seemed logical that I should have to update. Everything looked fine and no indication anything could go wrong. Hadn't heard there was a problem because I've never had a problem. It would have been nice for DJI to PULL THE UPDATE so nobody else experiences problems if they knew there were issues. Flew it Friday evening and didn't get more than 1:45 into the flight - straight up to 255 ft - and suffered a major malfunction, accelerating straight down in less than 2 seconds onto my neighbors tile roof and smashing it to pieces. May be a total loss. I AM BESIDE MYSELF THAT DJI WOULD ALLOW A DEFECTIVE UPDATE TO FLOAT OUT THERE, AND ACTUALLY REQUIRE YOU TO UPDATE OR BE RESTRICTED IN YOUR FLIGHTS. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

I agree with the idea to pull the DJI update once complaints start rolling in and investigate it further.

Microsoft does that with their software updates for Windows if they begin to see a trend with some bug.   Microsoft will pull the update within hours and it will not reside on their update servers for others to get.  I got caught in one bad MS Tuesday update once where the update was pulled later that same day after I already got it.  Luckily, I had a Macrium Reflect image and could reinstall the old OS and programs prior to the buggy one.

The DJI rollback "as new" needs to be an option as well since DJI doesn't address the firmware or software matters for months, or until the next update.  A refresh of the same version thing doesn't always work.
2017-8-20
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-20 14:25
Aloha Duchunter,

As you note, all the doors are open.  I am not saying that the bottom line is you or others are doing anything wrong.  What I am saying is that you and others should not give up and just leave it in DJI's hands.  My first lesson using a DJI product was when I screwed up my first firmware update.  Nothing worked right.  But, I did not give up and I kept at it until after about five or six update efforts (what today is called refreshing), eventually everything worked (finally).  Then there were other challenges.

They actually did say that they are aware of the issue and that their engineers are working on the problem. They have also sent out emails asking for beta testers. Its all they're in the links I posted.
2017-8-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-20 19:55
They actually did say that they are aware of the issue and that their engineers are working on the problem. They have also sent out emails asking for beta testers. Its all they're in the links I posted.

Aloha Duchunter,

Mahalo!  There is hope apparently!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-20
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

I just text flew my P4 std after downgrading to the prior version, 602. Its back to the way it was.....perfect! I didn't need to downgrade the RC either.
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules