DJI: Smoke coming from Mavic "Not a product malfunction"
2298 7 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa5957cce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330302 ft
United States

Yet another Gimbal Overload thread, only this time with smoke!I've had my Mavic for 2 months. Never crashed it, always kept it in a hard case with gimbal lock and cover in place. Worst I've done is trim some leaves with it.
One day I take out and it flies super-erratically. I can barely control it enough to get back on the ground. I look at it after landing and the camera is jammed hard to the right and seems to be fighting against the stop. I get "Gimbal Overload" caution on my display. I try to calibrate the gimbal and it freezes at 30% complete. So I shut down the controller and the aircraft and restart them. When I power on the aircraft smoke starts pouring out of the chassis and the gimbal goes nuts. I'm no engineer but I'm pretty sure this isn't a software issue. So I box it up and send it to DJI. Few days later I get a $200 repair quote to replace the Gimbal Arm Module and this:

damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy.

Let's hear your warranty horror stories...

2017-8-16
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'd ask for clarification -- which reason are they claiming makes the repair of a two-month old product exempt from their after sales policy?
2017-8-16
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Let's hear your warranty horror stories...

So, are you trying to get help, or is this just another pitchforks and torches thread? The DJI reps here are typically excellent about sorting this kind of thing out.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear this case, could you please provide us with your case number so I can check the info for you?
2017-8-16
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

That was a funny excuse. So smoke coming out of the chassis is NOT a malfucntion??? Wowww. Everyday you learn something new lol! Good luck dude!
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the trouble you have been caused, I've forwarded this case to our appropriate team to look into it, will review it and make it clear. Please wait patiently while we are reviewing this case, we'll do our best to get it sorted out shortly.
2017-8-23
Use props
jkuo
lvl.1

United States

This exact same thing happened to me, smoke came out of the Mavic for a gimbal overload and it's not a "product malfunction".
What was your outcome?
2017-8-29
Use props
vertibird
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330302 ft
United States

jkuo Posted at 2017-8-29 10:12
This exact same thing happened to me, smoke came out of the Mavic for a gimbal overload and it's not a "product malfunction".
What was your outcome?

I was sent a replacement at no cost. DJI ended up doing the right thing, but not without making some noise.
2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules