POLL: Would you purchase a harness to fix TB-47/8 batteries??
24806 137 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eric.perry169gmail.com
lvl.1

United States

eric.perry169gmail.com Posted at 8-21 17:54
Rich, thanks.... I didn't mean to hijack your post, I just wanted to share in case someone makes the stupid mistake that I did.  Currently I'm in the process of (Crossing my fingers) relearning my smart controller.  I drained the battery to 3.3 Volts on the lowest cell, and I'm now charging it with the DJI charger.  We'll see in an hour.

To note, I would have much rather had your charging cable, this would have saved me a lot of grief....

And a final note:  My TB-47 is back in operations.  The smart board is recalibrated after draining the battery to 3.3 (on the lowest cell), and charging with the DJI charger.  It now balanced charges within .02 of each cell.  All I need to do now is fly with it a couple of times and see if it keeps working.

Oh and almost forgot, i managed to get the balanced lead that I soldered in under the lid, so if I ever run into this issue again, i can just pop the top and balance charge the battery again... Completely serviceable now!
2020-8-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

eric.perry169gmail.com Posted at 8-21 17:54
Rich, thanks.... I didn't mean to hijack your post, I just wanted to share in case someone makes the stupid mistake that I did.  Currently I'm in the process of (Crossing my fingers) relearning my smart controller.  I drained the battery to 3.3 Volts on the lowest cell, and I'm now charging it with the DJI charger.  We'll see in an hour.

To note, I would have much rather had your charging cable, this would have saved me a lot of grief....

No worries its all good...

I answered your PM but I thought I would share that information here too.  

The intelligent circuit will reset once the battery drops to 7-5% of charge state. Not sure if  soldering your wire leads to the cell tabs will  completely isolate the cell voltage. I have not looked into this.  Also, if you damaged the pin-outs on the socket the DJI circuit may not work correctly anymore because of missing information getting to the chip.

These batteries have a lot of energy stored in them and care needs to be taken when working on them. Sorry you had so much trouble and I understand wanting to fix things whenever possible.  I still think DJI should provide the engineering data to other third party battery manufacture's so these batteries can be produced for all the Inspire 1 owners out there.!!

End of Life forced by a company wanting you to buy new stuff..... when the old drones are still operational sucks
Rich
2020-8-22
Use props
DaFred
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3830781 ft
Belgium

RichJ53 Posted at 2020-8-22 20:00
No worries its all good...

I answered your PM but I thought I would share that information here too.  

The solution : buy the TB47 S or 48S for the matrice. Change the cover and also the connectors (important, if not the app gives faulty battery)  to the inspire. The batteries 47S/48S are even cheaper then original inspire 1!!
2021-1-3
Use props
delboy1
New

Cyprus

keithatrochdaleUK Posted at 2019-8-21 05:25
Hi Rich

Well as far as my research shows the first one should fit the DJI battery end and the others are the same as lipo battery packs have, so should just plug in as you would to charge/balance a normal pack.

Did you ever figure out which type of connector it is on the tb47 or 48 for the balance cable. Have readt its JST GH 1.25 7 pin, or JST SH 1.0 7 pin and even a DS13 7 pin? Did you get one to work?
2021-3-12
Use props
Flippigan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 837021 ft
United States

eric.perry169gmail.com Posted at 2020-8-21 19:35
And a final note:  My TB-47 is back in operations.  The smart board is recalibrated after draining the battery to 3.3 (on the lowest cell), and charging with the DJI charger.  It now balanced charges within .02 of each cell.  All I need to do now is fly with it a couple of times and see if it keeps working.

Oh and almost forgot, i managed to get the balanced lead that I soldered in under the lid, so if I ever run into this issue again, i can just pop the top and balance charge the battery again... Completely serviceable now!

Hi Eric,
if this message reaches I wanted to say thank you to everyone for documenting your process on restoring these I1 batteries. I started the process a few days ago and the info has been invaluable. I did the same thing you did and shorted a connection causing the bottom port to be useless after balancing the cells so when I finished balancing and plugged in the top board I got a critically low bat warning. I just finished hardwiring the cells to the intelligent top board to fix the above issue. The problem i’m having is when I plug in the top board i get 4 flashing LEDS and and a message in DJI go saying “check if he battery is genuine”. this has happened almost every time I unplug the top board and plug it back in and is fixed after a few minutes of unplugging and replugging. however this time it’s been an hour and I can’t get the board to return to normal. Have you experienced this? from the sound of your post a fix might be to discharge the battery cells to 3.3V however i’m not quite sure how to do that since the bird won’t spin the motors. But of a chicken before the egg problem.
2021-8-16
Use props
Flippigan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 837021 ft
United States

Flippigan Posted at 8-16 09:37
Hi Eric,
if this message reaches I wanted to say thank you to everyone for documenting your process on restoring these I1 batteries. I started the process a few days ago and the info has been invaluable. I did the same thing you did and shorted a connection causing the bottom port to be useless after balancing the cells so when I finished balancing and plugged in the top board I got a critically low bat warning. I just finished hardwiring the cells to the intelligent top board to fix the above issue. The problem i’m having is when I plug in the top board i get 4 flashing LEDS and and a message in DJI go saying “check if he battery is genuine”. this has happened almost every time I unplug the top board and plug it back in and is fixed after a few minutes of unplugging and replugging. however this time it’s been an hour and I can’t get the board to return to normal. Have you experienced this? from the sound of your post a fix might be to discharge the battery cells to 3.3V however i’m not quite sure how to do that since the bird won’t spin the motors. But of a chicken before the egg problem.

*Solved* Discharged using the built in function on my standard Lipo charger and that did the trick.
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_5LtcG5M1ezmk
New

United States

Hi rich I was wondering if you are able you sell me one of these balancing lead for tb47 / tb48
2021-9-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_5LtcG5M1ezmk Posted at 9-6 18:55
Hi rich I was wondering if you are able you sell me one of these balancing lead for tb47 / tb48

Hi
I still can make this special harness, but as you can see I do not get on the forum much these days. PM me with your email and I will provide you some information

Rich
2021-9-20
Use props
fans08001703
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459626 ft

United States

So what is the pinout on the TB47/48's ?  To connect them to the balance charger.  Just picked up the Tenergy T180 and I don't know where this info is hiding ?

The connector on the TB47/48 side is a MX1.25 7P.  I purchased a kit cheap from 2P tp 10P.  I would like to connect the harness and run down the rabbit hole....lol
2021-11-8
Use props
fans08001703
lvl.1

United States

Oops, posted under the wrong account.  Hit login with Google by mistake...   Weird it allows 2 accounts with same gmail?
2021-11-8
Use props
Cire3_PC
lvl.1

United States

For the life of me I don't see the pin out for the balance harness ?  Did I miss something, or someone know it ?
2021-11-16
Use props
Cloudsurfer
New

United States

Replying tpo an old post and hoping you are still around and doing well. Your electronics skills are excellent and yout insights and Youtube video is appreciated. I tried the jump starts and they never work. My latest 2 cents... I had 3 that went down due to over storage (1 1/2 lights) and began the jump start. Checking voltage prior, they were all above 22 so I cycled them through the bird and then on the 6 bank charger. Where they would not charge before, one did. As an experiment I left the other one on. Charger green light blinking fast green, battery powered on. I turned the battery off and left it on overnight. it came back. My Yuneec batteries never have this problem and I have a Venom for them. Even the OEM Yuneecs are balance chargers. Oh BTW improper disconnect of the battery motherboard (via screwdriver) led to audible shorting and killing that one.
2022-1-7
Use props
jfouch
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2021-9-20 19:08
Hi
I still can make this special harness, but as you can see I do not get on the forum much these days. PM me with your email and I will provide you some information

Rich,

I know it's been while since you've been here. I have 4 batteries I'd like to try to restore. I'm interested in your harness if you still have any.
2022-3-28
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Rich!

I realize this is an OLD posting...but I have an OLD drone...and Inspire 1 X5R. I currently have three batteries that the cells' voltage have dropped. They appear fine on takeoff but within about 10 seconds i get the "Critically low volage" warning and end up having to land. I'm assuming rebalancing is the handling, but have no clue how to get there.

Best,
Gavin
2022-3-30
Use props
farkasa
lvl.2
United States

We have made a harness for external charging.
2023-4-16
Use props
farkasa
lvl.2
United States

Using the harness fabricated, we connect our external balancing charger to + & - terminals and to the 7-pin TB48 battery bus board connector.
Then the battery is discharged to 3.58V on all cell pairs using the balancing charger and parallel loading bulbs.
We then balance charge with external balancing charger to 4.09v on all 6 cell pairs.
The process is repeated at least twice.

We are now in the process of fabricating a TB48 where no disassembly is needed for balancing with external balancing charger.
2023-4-16
Use props
farkasa
lvl.2
United States

Individual battery pair IR readings in older batteries are often deviating from each other significantly.
The outer pairs (+ & -) are the ones that seem to deviate the most.
Once rebalanced, the IR readings get much closer.
2023-4-16
Use props
farkasa
lvl.2
United States

Using the harness fabricated, we connect our external balancing charger to + & - terminals and to the 7-pin TB48 battery bus board connector.
Then the battery is discharged to 3.58V on all cell pairs using the balancing charger and parallel loading bulbs.
We then balance charge with external balancing charger to 4.09v on all 6 cell pairs.
The process is repeated at least twice.

We are now in the process of fabricating a TB48 where no disassembly is needed for balancing with external balancing charger.
2023-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules