POLL: DO YOU FOLLOW ALL THE RULES ALL THE TIME?
6323 129 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

DJI drones are enabled with GEO Fencing that supports governing laws and rules, helping users fly properly in accordance with most regulations such as keeping under 400 ft, NFZ, obstacle avoidance, etc. Categorically I consider the event of drone crashes to be An Act of God, just like most aviation accidents.   
2018-6-7
Use props
rawright54
lvl.4
United States

Rules are for people who lack the sense to act in a manner that ensures safety for others. I break them at will, when it makes sense to do so.
2018-6-9
Use props
rawright54
lvl.4
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-12 08:02
With age comes common sense and at 59 I fly with a lot of common sense.
I got to much to loose mainly my family plus my wife would kill me.
I hate to have that knock on the door is this drone yours and it hurt someone.

With age comes wrinkles - nothing else. Common sense is, itself, an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Sensible people become more sensible, perhaps, but stupid and thoughtless last forever.
2018-6-9
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-8-18 17:30
Good poll.  Anyone who says "yes all the time" is straight-up untruthful.  The reason why most say "use common sense" is because the rules/regulations as they stand now are FAR too restrictive in most jurisdictions.  I've no desire to normally need to fly higher than say 20m; but I'll for sure fly 10x that if I need to, so long as it is safe- this is where it is nearly impossible to define what is 'safe'.  Recently I had to push well over 300m - over a cliffside where there is no people and no airplanes.  There was zero risk to aircraft or people, if there were I would not have done so.  I've done the same around waterfalls; again if people were in my flightpath it would mean that they were already at risk or worse (  ).  I think noone has any need or desire to be anywhere near an airport...the land around airports are almost always flat/boring- by design no?  That being said, 7/9 or 5 km rules around airports is a joke; 2 should be sufficient as long as you don't go higher than say 400' since no aircraft at even 1.5km distance on approach or takeoff is going to be that low; and UAVs really don't need to be that high to begin with.  As long as the authorities enforce the rules WITH common sense all should be good.  Easier said than done, especially in areas like Canada where they tend to throw the book at you or in the USA where government helis will actually attempt to crash into your drone or blow them out of the ski with their prop's down-draft (without any backlash at all, true story) if you are flying where you should not be.

ya, I also live in Canada and whenever I'm flying it says I'm flying in a "class c airzone" also luckily for us they don't use LOS they just say 500 metres.
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Just another drone guy Posted at 2018-6-9 22:31
ya, I also live in Canada and whenever I'm flying it says I'm flying in a "class c airzone" also luckily for us they don't use LOS they just say 500 metres.

I'm sure that the actual regulation specifies VLOS; they chose 500m b/c that is the upper distance for reasonable LOS.  Everyone knows however that even at 50m it can be hard to spot a Mavic in many situations, therefore the live feed is essential.  I'm in Edmonton, where you at?
2018-6-10
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Just another drone guy Posted at 2018-6-9 22:31

At LEAST our new pending regs permit Urban flights.  The whole 'built-up area' clause was a real dumb thing- pulled straight from general aviation rules and nothing to do with the flight characteristics of UAV's.  I'm glad they expressly permit it now (within the 'Very Small UAV Class upto 1kg".  The lateral 100' distance rule though will be a challenge...
2018-6-10
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-6-10 08:59
I'm sure that the actual regulation specifies VLOS; they chose 500m b/c that is the upper distance for reasonable LOS.  Everyone knows however that even at 50m it can be hard to spot a Mavic in many situations, therefore the live feed is essential.  I'm in Edmonton, where you at?

I'm in Surrey BC
2018-6-14
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

sweet, my folks live in White Rock and brother in Abby
2018-6-14
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-6-14 14:05
sweet, my folks live in White Rock and brother in Abby

Nice!
2018-6-15
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Sadly yes. The rules in many cases are very restrictive and nonsensical.  That being said drones are here to stay regardless of regulation. The tech is out of the box so to speak and no amount of regulation can really stop it.
2018-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules