Travelling with Spark
1616 5 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spark93
lvl.4
Flight distance : 646667 ft
Australia

Is anyone aware of issues with travelling with a drone?

I'm going to the US from Australia in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to take my spark, I'll be flying United and American Airlines, does anyone know if these airlines have issues with drones or batteries?
2017-8-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you want to take it in your hand luggage?
2017-8-17
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

As far as I'm aware you need to keep batteries in a bag : http://amzn.to/2wfV9Dh
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to contact the airline company to check their regulations first. As for the battery, discharge to below 5% will be helpful to carry.
2017-8-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Took mine to Lanzarote recently and the general rule for most airlines is - No more than 2 batteries, no more than half a full charge in the batteries, must be in hand luggage due to the pressure and temp changes in the hold of the aircraft. To be double safe - Have Lipo safe bags for the batteries for that worst case scenario.
All I did when I got to the airport was inform them that I had a drone in my hand luggage and they were happy. Even when it went through the scanner, it went straight through with no further checks - which was expected. I did however contact the airline prior to arriving at the airport to confirm the rules and what was allowed.
I think that travelling with drones is now so common that they are used to people carrying them but to save hassle at the airport - check with them in the first instance.
2017-8-18
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I've also read that they want you to have covers on the battery terminals to prevent them from shorting out if they move in the bag. On my third flight now and security was more interested in my corkscrew than the spark.
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules