Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Spark - Weird Motor Sound
4892 21 2017-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182562 ft
Malaysia

Hi Spark owners

I was wondering if anyone had experienced such acceleration/deceleration on the DJI Spark before?

Flew it in an open field with no metals around apart from the goal post which can be seen on the video and it was 25metres away.

The link to the video footage with sound extracted from the DJI Go app:

Your views are appreciated.

Thanks!

2017-8-19
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

should get it checked... also check if all the props are installed correctly or not.
2017-8-19
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Check the props carefully, I found one on mine that had a decent size cut in it.
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Malaysia

This video is from a reoccurrence.

My spark sort of crashed (from 1 1/2 feet height) without any apparent damage two weeks ago. I consulted DJI immediately. Initial advice given from DJI technician a week ago was also to have the old set replaced to a new one which I did two days before i recorded this footage.

I actually went to the extent to carefully observe both sets of propellars with a magnifying glass on a white background to check if there were any inherent damage on them when DJI informed me that it was due to faulty props. No irregularities on either set.

Just a day before the video footage, I flew the Spark(with new propellars) flawlessly.  I thought the issue is finally resoluved until what happened as can be seen on the video a day after.

I have since returned the Spark to DJI for it to be physically examined. Waiting time is 1 month 1/2. The duration was quite a disappointment as I only own the Spark for barely 3 weeks.

Just starting this thread to highlight that such issue exist and on the other hand, I am rather curious in finding out what exactly is the problem as my two other DJIs did not have such problem before.   

Thanks eylneb and Rawsome for your inputs above.
2017-8-19
Use props
Anuvis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

Sport mode?I can hear my spark comming in sport mode foul throtle forward from 50 meters high and 200 meters distance no problem no warnings..Without wind or other sound.
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Malaysia

It was not on sport mode.

I moved the ascend stick upwards and maintained that joystick position throughout. I let go of the stick when it bounced off the floor once and did an emergency shutdown by tilting immediately thereafter.
2017-8-19
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Check on probs, if all shoes are there.
Maybe one piece is inside a motor?
Saw a couple of posts about that issue, lately
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Malaysia

There wasnt any rattling sound within the motors which suggest foreign object being stuck in between.

Rotation of the motors done by twisting them with my fingers was smooth like how it should be.
2017-8-19
Use props
QHovey
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_saQ7SrE Posted at 2017-8-19 17:19
There wasnt any rattling sound within the motors which suggest foreign object being stuck in between.

Rotation of the motors done by twisting them with my fingers was smooth like how it should be.

Wait, how smooth? The props should rotate a bit jerky when rotated manually with aircraft off. Every 30 degrees the prop should "snap" into a place where the servo motor catch is.
2017-8-20
Use props
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Malaysia

Yes Hovey.

The magnets within the motor does produce that "snap" feeling.
2017-8-23
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

check in DJI assistant if there is a calibration for the downward vision positioning sensor.  a guy on youtube had a similar bouncy/wobbly issue with his P4p and had to do the recalibration.
2017-8-23
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I haven't experienced any weird sounds.  I do hear motor pitch noises when it's a bit windy; but related to spark trying to maintain position and fighting the winds.
2017-8-23
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

Someone recently mentioned loose screws in the bezel kinda area under the props. I think they're a torx head size 4 maybe.
2017-8-23
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-23 10:57
I haven't experienced any weird sounds.  I do hear motor pitch noises when it's a bit windy; but related to spark trying to maintain position and fighting the winds.

I hear this as well. At first i was concerned, then i think its normal.
2017-8-23
Use props
djiuser_saQ7SrE
lvl.2
Malaysia

An update.

The technician updated the firmware to V1.6 and the weird problem seem to have gone.

Hopefully it stays this way.

A happy DJI owner again.
2017-8-24
Use props
killers.jayanth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33419 ft
India

I Had the Same issue when i Try to Fly Indoors and Few times Outdoors also . But After Few Trials I found a way to avoid it by Restarting the Drone and the App and by changing the Battery , It Flies Normal . And Be careful Next Time when you Fly the Drone and it shows Similar Issue Try Landing it as soon as Possible to Prevent any Crash. As i Made a Mistake Flying it more further with the same acceleration/deceleration issue and Thinking it would not have a problem IT CRASHED . So Don't repeat My Mistake
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to know that the issue has gone. Enjoy it and happy flying.
2017-8-27
Use props
JasonMY
lvl.2
Malaysia

I was wrong, the issue has been around and today, the Spark almost sliced my son's head when my Spark tried to descend with the motor power losss sound when i pushed the ascend/descend joystick upwards. Two of the batteries which came with the bundle is giving this problem but my third battery purchased separately does not have this problem.

In fact, the problem with the two batteries have been around since i posted this. I have been discreetly communicating with DJI technical team without posting any further thread to identify the root of this problem. However, after multiple uploading of data, analysis of data and with multiple diagnosis from DJI technical team, the problem is still around. The diagnosis and rectification measures since i posted this thread are as follows:-

1) Replace faulty propellers (early August);
2) Firmware refresh;
3) Firmware downgrade and upgrade;
4) IMU calibration;
5) Compass calibration;
6) GPS signal weak.

It feels to me that DJI is refusing to take these two batteries back to test it but to continue to run this trial and error diagnosis tests where I feel a like a guinea pig. My fear is that by condoning to these type of rectification method by DJI, a serious accident might just be around the corner.

I hope DJI admins here could foresee the gravity of any impending accident that could happen when i fly the two faulty batteries and to assist me on this.

Note: It flies perfectly well on the third battery.

2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JasonMY Posted at 2017-9-26 10:32
I was wrong, the issue has been around and today, the Spark almost sliced my son's head when my Spark tried to descend with the motor power losss sound when i pushed the ascend/descend joystick upwards. Two of the batteries which came with the bundle is giving this problem but my third battery purchased separately does not have this problem.

In fact, the problem with the two batteries have been around since i posted this. I have been discreetly communicating with DJI technical team without posting any further thread to identify the root of this problem. However, after multiple uploading of data, analysis of data and with multiple diagnosis from DJI technical team, the problem is still around. The diagnosis and rectification measures since i posted this thread are as follows:-

First:  That sound is not normal (at least in my experience).

Second:  A suggestion for you to try.  Others have reported that they have resolved their battery issues by fully discharging the battery in question and then recharging that battery to full charge.  I don't have any clue if this will work for you, but until DJI offers to take back the batteries, you have nothing to lose.
2017-9-26
Use props
JasonMY
lvl.2
Malaysia

I have tried discharging the batteries previously as advised by another Spark owner on Facebook but the problem still persist.

This thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-114192-1-2.html is exactly how my drone is acting if i have a camera recording it flying.
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JasonMY Posted at 2017-9-26 10:46
I have tried discharging the batteries previously as advised by another Spark owner on Facebook but the problem still persist.

This thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-114192-1-2.html is exactly how my drone is acting if i have a camera recording it flying.

Well bummer.  It was worth a shot.  Not my area of expertise, but your method of testing strongly indicates that the problem can be narrowed down to the batteries.
2017-9-26
Use props
JasonMY
lvl.2
Malaysia

It was a good suggestion to get a third battery by that Spark owner. Besides 20minutes of flight time would never be enough if my Spark is working at its optimum.

For now i am forcefully confining myself to only flying my Spark with one battery out of three batteries so prevent the same incident from happening when my kid get all excited looking at the drone take its flight.

2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules