Phantom V2+ ground station fly aways
1409 19 2015-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesmason1972
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi Guys
I thought I would get my Vision 2 plus out as a break from my Inspire as I wanted to try out the ground station app.

I went through the usual pre flight checks and calibrated the craft. Set the craft to fly a short triangle autonomous path..........maximum of 60-ish metres altitude and a flight distance of about 400m.

I also use FPV booster app.

Took off on the first flight and on its journey to the first waypoint, my iphone said that connection had been lost. I had at least 7 satellites and up to 9 at a point. After much flustering and flicking of switches, the app managed to reconnect and I then activated the RTH.......the craft then returned.

Thinking this was just a glitch, I changed battery and decided to plot a smaller path for the second flight. The same thing happened again and I saw my craft flying off in the opposite direction to the plotted flight path and heading for a jungle covered mountain side. With the RTH disabled because it had gone into a fly mode of which I cannot remember now......I had resigned to the outcome of losing it. With another flip of switches on the range extender and on the RC........the app came back online and got the RTH available.

Everytime I fly this craft it makes me so nervous as I am never sure of what it's going to do. This has happened even on manual flying.

The Inspire is such a different craft to fly and soooooo much easier.....I have confidence when I fly it, comfortable in the knowledge that the craft responds to what I do and the failsafes work flawlessly.

I wanted to have the Phantom as a back up to doing photography or video but now it's either for Ebay or the cupboard!
2015-3-29
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I don't understand how it could happen when flying manually.  

When you say 'another flip of switches' what do you mean?  How many times did you flip switches?  Which switch?
2015-3-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

James,
Inspire is nice for sure,
My brother had his up for her maiden voyage the other day and said he absolutely loved it, he has a couple of Phantoms, well maybe 1.5 Phantoms anyway and I will see him in May for a little four for sure.
That said,
What software/firmware are you on and are you sure all your calibrations are up to snuff, I presume so as you have the Inspire and that I know has had a bevy software/firmware glitches from start-up which I also understand are now stabilizing...
Look at the second post in this thread with screens I posted of my set up, I have been flying the balls off my P2V+ v3.0 without any issues and have flown it so far out it should have contacted ET! And it always comes back.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... %2Bpost&lang=en
As for ground station I have not tried it as I want a bigger screen than my iPhone before I do that which is imminent!
I know there were some shielding issues/fixes etc. for some of the earlier Phantoms, not sure if any of that would be applicable but might be worth looking into....
2015-3-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really need to read the manual.  Understand how to initiate a mission and how to cancel one without just "flipping switches".  At some point that will guarantee that you will not recover.  As far as lost signal, is your wifi extender pointed toward the Phantom?  If it is not that is probably part of your problem.  How far out did you set your mission up for?  Just a note, once the mission is loaded into the Phantom it will continue to run until canceled.  The 5.8gHz RC tx does have a limited range and it is possible to plan a mission beyond its range.  Read the manual.  It does explain it.
2015-3-29
Use props
jamesmason1972
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-30 00:27
You really need to read the manual.  Understand how to initiate a mission and how to cancel one with ...

Thanks....i do RTFM as it is affectionately known. The mobile device lost connection....i wasn't 'just flipping switches'...i was toggling the S1 switch. i will go through the manual again and maybe read more thoroughly!.......likely my cock up!

I was perfectly fine in setting up the mission, initiating it and also cancelling the mission and then RTH.

I have had this issue before with it just going off on it's own when not in autonomous mode.....but I have always managed to get it bak...thankfully.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
2015-3-29
Use props
wwwDAVEHUMPHREY
New

Canada

My phantom 2 was hovering 20 feet from me and friends when it took itself over and flew out over a lake a drown itself.  All emergency tactics did nothing!
Lost $2700. and company basically said "too bad, not our problem".

Obviously NOT impressed. Will never buy another DJI.
2015-5-1
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

wwwDAVEHUMPHREY Posted at 2015-5-1 18:06
My phantom 2 was hovering 20 feet from me and friends when it took itself over and flew out over a l ...

"too bad, not our problem" is what has to change. DJI you are heading down the wrong road with this attitude. These things are doing unexplained things resulting in a loss to the customer. This is where DJI can make a difference and acknowledge the technology is not perfect and be prepared to help the few that suffer a loss.

Yug
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:23
"too bad, not our problem" is what has to change. DJI you are heading down the wrong road with this ...

Without the Phantom, all you will be offered is 30% off a new one.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they replaced every Phantom that flew away and lost and unrecoverable,  EVERYONE would be doing just that and have a whole squadron of these in your home.
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:46
Where have you been?

Yug

Getting the Drive In ready to open tonight.  Busy, busy, busy!
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:48
Axe and I have been doing your job. You had better have a good excuse!

Yug

I'm quite sure you guys can handle it!  
2015-5-1
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 18:49
I'm quite sure you guys can handle it!

We did our best

Yug
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:50
Excuse accepted.

We are experiencing bad weather at the moment. Flooding etc. Should be over tomo ...

Flooding is not good,  here has been good flying weather, but I've been at the drive in every day this week, painting the screen, remodeling the snack bar, yard work and anything else we can do.
2015-5-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 18:47
Getting the Drive In ready to open tonight.  Busy, busy, busy!

Just not the same around here when your gone.
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:52
We did our best

Yug

Some you win, some you lose,  that's just the nature of the game.
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-1 18:53
Just not the same around here when your gone.

I haven't even had the time to test the batteries yet.  Maybe this weekend after we settle in to a set evening work schedule.
2015-5-1
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 18:55
I haven't even had the time to test the batteries yet.  Maybe this weekend after we settle in to a ...

Hope you saw the charging idea. I think that is the safest. Put simply the bigger the tank the longer it takes to fill.

Yug
2015-5-1
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 18:54
Some you win, some you lose,  that's just the nature of the game.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... id=8726&lang=en
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-5-1 18:59
Hope you saw the charging idea. I think that is the safest. Put simply the bigger the tank the lon ...

They are fully charged now,  going to run them down until the alarm forces it to land,  I'll get the flight time, and then the time to recharge them full.  I'll have 2 numbers to use.
2015-5-1
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 19:02
They are fully charged now,  going to run them down until the alarm forces it to land,  I'll get t ...

Gotcha

Yug
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Well, I just heard the boss drive by blowing the horn.  Got to unload 80 bags of popcorn weighing 50 pounds each.  We'll use most of that this season.
2015-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules