The latest firmware update(s) that slapped us in the face
5848 103 2017-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

fans3d037974 Posted at 2017-9-4 10:00
I didn't see anything for Inspire 1 Pro?

Hey there,

I would assume that this would apply for Inspire 1 Pro as well, but you'd have to already have the firmwares.

Personally, I am holding my breath (face was purple about a week ago) for DJI to help us out. Though who knows how long I'll be able to hold out. Luckily I have been super busy with work and the kids to keep me occupied ...

I don't think it is fair that DJI puts us in a position where we are actually considering doing unsupported things to get back into the air proper. I know they disapprove of this, but I'd have to say, for those who have resolved their issues this way, DJI definitely pushed them in that direction. It has been over 2 months now that we have been in this situation.

Crossing fingers that the cooler fall temperatures will help DJI get this fixed. Or maybe they just need someone to buy them all a beer.
2017-9-4
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone running older .0330 firmware with their Inspire 2? If so could you back up your I2 and RC firmware with digdat0's youtube video on youtube "How-to rollback to any firmware on Mavic, P4, Inspire2, Spark"? I tried backing up with no issues and even found the older V01.00.0330_I2_dji_system firmware from the video but found nothing for older RC firmware. From what I read and watched this software backs up and installs the dji firmware with bin files. I haven't tried it ,but if nothing get released soon, I am considering using it to go back one version but obvious nervious about breaking somthing. The Mavic guys have been using it with little issues.
2017-9-5
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

JohnnieYaz Posted at 2017-9-5 18:58
Anyone running older .0330 firmware with their Inspire 2? If so could you back up your I2 and RC firmware with digdat0's youtube video on youtube "How-to rollback to any firmware on Mavic, P4, Inspire2, Spark"? I tried backing up with no issues and even found the older V01.00.0330_I2_dji_system firmware from the video but found nothing for older RC firmware. From what I read and watched this software backs up and installs the dji firmware with bin files. I haven't tried it ,but if nothing get released soon, I am considering using it to go back one version but obvious nervious about breaking somthing. The Mavic guys have been using it with little issues.

Check the other thread I replied to you. The RC is still updated using the DJI GO 4 app.
2017-9-6
Use props
fansc10fe6bc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 501493 ft
United States

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I posted on the 1.11 thread since the 1.11  down load the video feed has became so bad on my Inspire1 V2 the craft is grounded right now.

Perfect conditions I get about 350-500 meters tops before all video is gone and it starts cutting out at less than 100 meters a lot  of the time. Remember the Inspire 1 V2 spec list 3.1 miles in perfect conditions 100 -500 meters is a joke I would have never have paid 3K plus for my Inspire 1 V2 setup with those current specs.  The V1 V2 had awesome range and strong video signal until the last update.

A lot of Inspire 1 users feel DJI cut the range purpose. I'm not sold on that yet and believe it's just a firmware related issue. If they did want a bad business decision I won't buy another V1 or V2 at the current performance level ever again.

I bought the inspire 1 V2 for use with the XT thermal camera but had to cancel my XT order after the update because at this point buying the 8-10K XT for my Inspire 1 V2  is pointless it doesn't work worth a damn with the X3.

I really hope DJI can resolve the issue soon having thousands of dollars in a drone that worked great and now doesn't is very upsetting and forcing me to look at any company for my drone purchasing moving forward. If the issue can't be video range resolved on the Inspires I'm taking my XT camera money and having a custom Typhoon with thermal camera built since that's the only choice left for me at this point.

On a positive note my Mavic Pro works awesome it's been a fantastic drone for me.
2017-9-6
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

fansc10fe6bc Posted at 2017-9-6 06:33
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I posted on the 1.11 thread since the 1.11  down load the video feed has became so bad on my Inspire1 V2 the craft is grounded right now.

Perfect conditions I get about 350-500 meters tops before all video is gone and it starts cutting out at less than 100 meters a lot  of the time. Remember the Inspire 1 V2 spec list 3.1 miles in perfect conditions 100 -500 meters is a joke I would have never have paid 3K plus for my Inspire 1 V2 setup with those current specs.  The V1 V2 had awesome range and strong video signal until the last update.

Yea, many many people have the same opinion, that DJI did this on purpose.

I couldn't say one way or another ... But from my perspective, I really couldn't believe that they would turn such a beautiful piece of technology into a crippled hobbling bird on purpose. That would be flat out wrong in so many ways.

But on that same note, I couldn't possibly believe that they could really "oops" this bad, as an honest mistake. At least without acknowledging it to some degree. Maybe an urgent notice to all owners not to upgrade, or even pulling that firmware from the public immediately and offering a downgrade to those who were unlucky enough to upgrade.

So, who really knows. Until DJI does acknowledge it in one way or another, the only thing we can know for sure is that it happened, and we're all suffering. It really is a bit discouraging.

Regarding $8-10K cameras ... I would love to get my hands on the Zenmuse Z30. ;)
2017-9-6
Use props
fansc10fe6bc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 501493 ft
United States

Very true statements, I also can't see why DJI would cripple their own technology( light bridge ) that is one of the top things that distance them from the competitors.

When I looked for a drone for thermal use the Inspire 1 V2 listed 3.1 miles of range vs only 1 mile on Typhoon H. I know from real world use you will be lucky to get half the listed range around here so DJI won big there in my choice.

If both the Inspire 1 and Typhoon H where listed 1 mile I may have choose different. DJI's huge edge has been video stream range the last few years without that edge you open the doors for more competition.
2017-9-6
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

fansc10fe6bc Posted at 2017-9-6 11:33
Very true statements, I also can't see why DJI would cripple their own technology( light bridge ) that is one of the top things that distance them from the competitors.

When I looked for a drone for thermal use the Inspire 1 V2 listed 3.1 miles of range vs only 1 mile on Typhoon H. I know from real world use you will be lucky to get half the listed range around here so DJI won big there in my choice.

Well, aside from the latest firmware ...

The technology that we purchased from DJI is *ABSOLUTELY* un-freaking-believable. Such a beautiful piece of engineering. I didn't know much about Lightbridge at the time, but the specifications were very attractive.

And for the most part (until the new firmware), we have never had issues with range. Every once in a while might lose VLOS for a few seconds, which would cause a momentary hiccup in HD feed, but that was pretty much it. I don't recall ever losing control of the aircraft for more than a second.

Now, with the new firmware, something must have changed with Lightbridge functionality. At about 400m away, we start seeing terrible video feed. Even closer than that, we start getting disconnects from RC and actually have no control over the aircraft. So, realistically, it isn't even safe to fly anymore unless we stay inside of a very tight area.

And the Inspire 2 is not a little sparrow that wants to fly in small areas. It is a beast that needs room to spread its wings. So whatever happened is just unfortunate. Anyways.

All of this aside, I would actually like to learn more about the technology, since it is really impressive when it works.

I wonder if the Matrice series has any of these issues? It seems the M200 models are designed with very similar technologies as the Inspire 2. You'd have to think that that series would also have problems if they did have a firmware update around the recent months.
2017-9-6
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

paraviz how much range had you been getting I am able to go out quite a ways before I have much issue unless I have a tree or populated area give me issue.
2017-9-14
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

EagleEyeUAV Posted at 2017-9-14 12:06
paraviz how much range had you been getting I am able to go out quite a ways before I have much issue unless I have a tree or populated area give me issue.

Oh, I got maybe 1500 feet away before my feed was total garbage. The black/green and overheating iPad etc.

At that point, the RC would even be losing connection as well. It was a huge drag ...
2017-9-14
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

really sorry to hear these continuous issues with FW. We are still talking to a wall and not getting DJI's support.
2017-9-14
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

wow thats actually very bad
2017-9-15
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

DTK Posted at 2017-9-14 15:14
really sorry to hear these continuous issues with FW. We are still talking to a wall and not getting DJI's support.

Well, I'll say that DJI is definitely (silently) working on the issues. Hopefully will see a proper update soon!
2017-9-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
United States

Let's hope that is the case, without DJI making even a slight hint. I am for one deferring my upgrade to 2. Gives me time to look around for others offering.
2017-9-15
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OK after Saturdays heart attack getting disconnects at 100' I did some testing and did 3 things today to see why others are OK some were not, such as me,

1) Uninstalled the DJI Go 4 app's off my ipad mini 2's and re installed.
2) Set Ipad mini 2 in Airplane mode, and went down  one line and turned on wireless. - NEW
3) Reinstalled the latest software on I2 with my X5S installed, same as before.
4) Set main RC in OFF not Master - NEW - had it in Master even if I only used one RC
5) IMU Calibration  _ New, hadn't done since last update, but all showed OK.
6)Tested two RC's Master/Slave for video and CPU overload exc and all looked OK like before upgrade of this FW release, but I didn't fly it that way, Dual RC Master switched to OFF and flew it.
7) Test flew with one RC, NO CPU overload, no breakup of video, no aircraft disconnected.

Next to test to fly with two RC's. I couldn't, It got close to civil twilight.
2017-9-25
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-22 03:20
Interesting Video,  Has anyone rolled back using this procedure ?

Yup, I seen it first hand and it works fine if you do it right but will cause other issues such as "You are restricted to fly no further than 50 metres distance and 30 metres height" mesage to keep poping up and screaming at you although it lets you fly past it.  It also has trouble taking multiple photo wityhout frezing the video. With this old firmware and combo of the new release DJI go 4 IOS app It's not worth the headache to downgrade the app too especialy if running a apple monitor.
2017-9-25
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnnieYaz Posted at 2017-9-25 19:55
Yup, I seen it first hand and it works fine if you do it right but will cause other issues such as "You are restricted to fly no further than 50 metres distance and 30 metres height" mesage to keep poping up and screaming at you although it lets you fly past it.  It also has trouble taking multiple photo wityhout frezing the video. With this old firmware and combo of the new release DJI go 4 IOS app It's not worth the headache to downgrade the app too especialy if running a apple monitor.

DJI  MINDY ,

Any ideas when DJI will be releasing the newest firmware for the Inspire 2 ?

It has been months now without hearing any positive news ?

2017-9-27
Use props
Privateer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117493 ft
United States

I just bought a used Inspire 1 v1 with a X5 camera. I noticed a huge reduction in apparent range over my Phantom 4 Pro. I was receiving the weak/no signal warning no more than 30 meters away. Also the video on my ipad mini 3 was completely unusable with the green/black/freezing screen. Yesterday I moved to a manual channel choice and flew for the whole battery with no issues of range (only went about 200 meters out) and video feed worked perfect the whole time. Weird.
I'm wanting to use this commercially and I'm worried about reliablity
Edit - I had already tried all the of Ipad app fixes before I ever flew this ship
Here's my version:
App 3.1.15
Aircraft 1.9.1.30
RC 1.6.0+
Camera 1.9.1.10

2017-9-27
Use props
davidseeds
New
Flight distance : 4078 ft
Israel

Hi Dji,

any update ? when will it be fixed ? the drone is loosing signal after 500 meters
2017-10-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing happened to the original inspire 1, when I received it the inspire was an animal, the thing flew great, all sorts of power and range. After a few firmware “downgrades” the inspire range was cut in half and it now sounds like a v-8 engine running on 3 cylinders......
2017-10-14
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

These upgrade sure cause a lot of problems with our Inspires.  I stayed with V 1.1.2 on my old I1 and will never upgrade.  It works perfect as is, except there are a few features it would be nice to have, but sure not worth the pain of the unwanted part of the upgrade that I do not want.  I want to upgrade to the I2 but won't do it until Donnie upgrades.  Then I know its safe.      : )
2017-10-14
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

My Inspire 1 V1 also has upgraded to X5 camera. FW 1.10. I fly it with manual channel. The range is around 1km and video image starts breaking up. However, it is reliable and very stable. A bit wobbly while in flight because of the weight of the X5 camera. I heard that FW 1.9 is the best version so you can be sure to rely on your inspire one. I have just ordered some 3510H motors and ESC to upgrade it to V2. I have also had the antenna mod to be completed in the pipeline. So it will be a whole lot better Inspire One when the mods are finished. For I2, it still just a promise, I will not spend money on a protype product. It looks very good on paper but also lead down by its software.
2017-10-14
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just may have to upgrade to 1.9 someday but in no hurry to do it at this point.  I was wonder what version would be the best for my old bird without getting all the bad effects of some of the newer versions.  The old " If it's not broken, don't fix it".  I have two remotes and have used just one 99% of the time and the other one just sits there.  I did mod the one to use with better antenna's and I can easily get a mile range with it but most of the time I am in close.  I did put the V2 gimbal  mount and longer legs on it but that's all, so it stays lighter in weight.  With the old FW version, it really gets out and moves if needed.
2017-10-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

The main thing is that you cannot cross the line with FW 1.11. It the current one that DJI implement compulsory No Fly Zone and other goodies. It is also announced specifically that once upgraded to FW 1.11, there will be no return. The reason is that they don't want upgraders to go back once they see all this inconsistent OFZ implementation. They want to lock them in and let DJI rectify any issue later. So the side effect is that other than inconsistent OFZ and safety range, there is now weak transmission, ipad heatup and crashed. But sorry, there is no going back and just ground the bird and wait for new FW. Have a look at the forum, that is really kept us busy.
2017-10-15
Use props
Mr.Mister
lvl.3
Flight distance : 862854 ft
United States

Figures... I ordered my Inspire 2 yesterday and read this thread TODAY!?!

I learned with my Mavic to only update firmware when absolutely necessary.  Depending on what version comes on my new bird, if I can't downgrade using Digdat0's tools, I'll send it back.  
2017-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules