Pan wobble
5121 11 2015-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arthurchays
lvl.1

France

Hello everyone,

I'm a fresh new owner of a ronin, and I spent a lot of time on forums, watching videos, and balancing my BMCC on the ronin.
Here's my test shoot with BMCC and tokina 11-16
(some walk, some running, some briefcase mode)
- As you can see, a lot of unwanted little pan wobble form left to right....
- And every time I start my ronin, the pan axis seems to drift slowly...

>Do you have any clue ?
I'v tried a lot of parameter combinason in the software, with same results... My ronin firmware is 2.1 (received with this firmware), and as some user reported some issues with 2.3, I don't really want to update it.

Maybe i'ts my fault, and wrong balancing, but all my 4 axes are pretty right balanced IMO

Thanks a lot for any answer. I'm sure it's a beautiful tool, just need to make it working like a charm !

2015-3-29
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.2

United States

Hi arthurchays , It would help us if you post the settings used in the DJI Assistant app.
Thanks
2015-3-29
Use props
arthurchays
lvl.1

France

Hello, thanks for your prompt answer.

All the shots use different setting, and apology, i don't remember which settings correspond to each shots.

here's the most commun setting I've used:
After balance, a system calibration, and a auto tune stability.
- Result:  61 for each motor stifness. Need to lower tilt stiffness to avoid too much sound from tilt motor.
- For smoothtrack, Speed between 18 and 50 (depend of shots) Deadband 0 to 20, and accel 0
And I'v also tried with smooth track and briefcase mode disabled.

I've tried to restore default setting many times, and rebalancing the cam often.

Hope this help
2015-3-29
Use props
agnon
New
Canada

arthurchays@wan Posted at 2015-3-30 01:03
Hello, thanks for your prompt answer.

All the shots use different setting, and apology, i don't re ...

Hi, is this similar to yours?

Password: ronintest
2015-5-1
Use props
digitalmedia.te
lvl.1
Belgium

I have exact the same problem on my Ronin M! is there a solution?, camera is perfect balanced. I don't have this problem on my Big Ronin.
2015-5-22
Use props
AndersMontgomer
lvl.1

Norway

I would try turning the stiffness down on the Pan motor. Mine is at 40, and it seems to work for me.
2015-5-23
Use props
fans3527ab9c
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Hey this thread is 2 years old, but it seems I have the same WOBBLE problem with my ronin (the original BIG Ronin).

I have 3 years of experience shooting with the thing, so no I know all the methods around. The unit is 100% balanced, all knobs secured, software updated. Camera is BMPC 4K.

The PAN axis always wobble, when I am walking. Indeed the problem lies in the relevance of the ROLL axis and the PAN. If I turn the ROLL axis left-to-right, the PAN axis also turns. When a person walks, it is natural to have some roll, so I think that is why I have the wobble.

Anyone with a solution yet?
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans3527ab9c Posted at 2017-4-25 14:20
Hey this thread is 2 years old, but it seems I have the same WOBBLE problem with my ronin (the original BIG Ronin).

I have 3 years of experience shooting with the thing, so no I know all the methods around. The unit is 100% balanced, all knobs secured, software updated. Camera is BMPC 4K.

Just to clarify, do you have IS enabled on your camera?
2017-4-25
Use props
fans3527ab9c
lvl.2
Bulgaria

No, of course there is no IS involved. I am using the BMPC 4K with Samyang/Rokinon manual cinema lens.

Here is the video test, its like the footsteps are causing wobbles, but I can assure you, my stance is very stable:

The sounds are coming from a Follow Focus system, not from the Ronin. For clarity, please watch the video without sound.

There is one odd thing to note:

I can NEVER balance the PAN axis for both the underslung and the upright position. The balance is good for either one or the other, but never for both modes. Is that normal?
2017-4-25
Use props
icegnat
lvl.2
Canada

Hi all. I'm having the same problems myself. My Ronin-M worked like a charm for about 6 months. Over the past month or so however, I struggle to get any usable footage. I can't use the raw footage out of camera anymore. I have to apply a warp stabilizer filter in Premiere, otherwise the shake is too noticeable. I have all the recent firmware updates and have tried various stiffness settings and nothing seems to help. Am wondering if I have to ship it off for repair. I used to love using my Ronin and now I dread it because the results are so mediocre.
2017-5-24
Use props
Lytle
New
United States

I have this problem that seemed to appear randomly. Sent my Ronin M in for repair and DJI claims that it's normal. It's not normal as none of my gimbal footage is now usable.
2017-5-28
Use props
tecel8
lvl.1
Germany

My suggestion is that your walk is far to unsteady and there is nothing to compensate that. Any horizontal or vertical movement of the whole ronin of course is in the footage. If you watch skilled people using the ronin they dont walk but shuffle at any speed without any movement of the gimbal - the optical axis is always in a straight line, no ups and downs, no lefts or rights...
Btw a deadband value of 20 is very, very high.

Regards
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules