Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mounting larger DSLR cameras
4286 10 2015-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have seen a YouTube video of a guy testing the payload of the Inspire attaching additional weights.

Do you think the Inspire has enough lift to carry a fullsize DSLR such as the Cannon 5D mark III  to allow increased quality of still images.  Would be good if it could and DJI were to offer a suitable gimbal.

have a look at the link above adding 1460 grams and still appears to be stable.

Cannon  5D mark III = approx 950grams body

Obviously there will be compromise in battery/ flight time but considerble increase in photo quality.

2015-3-29
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

I'm sure it will start flying like a pig.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dundee Posted at 2015-3-29 22:54
I'm sure it will start flying like a pig.

Would be nice though.  

I guess you would also have to maintain the forward and aft centre of gravity unlike the YouTube clip just hanging the weight below which may induce soem stress.
2015-3-29
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-29 22:58
Would be nice though.  

I guess you would also have to maintain the forward and aft centre of grav ...

Yeah, now you need a build in gyroscope to correct that.
I think the Inspire can carry (safely) an extra 600 gram of payload within acceptible side effects.
Over 600g, better choose another platform.
2015-3-29
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Based on the thrust specs of the 3510/350's running a 6s pack and swinging 13/4.5 props you will get another 5kg of lifting capacity out of the Inspire but....... You would not want to do that as it will barely be able to fly and controllability would be troublesome.
I think another 500 - 800g would be accectible (you could lose nearly 100g of that running the lighter TB47's)
Diminished flight times would be another matter!!!!

2015-3-29
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This is what the DJI S1000 does so well. If the mission calls for hoisting a full SLR into the sky then best to approach it sensibly. The electronic controllers are always silently adjusting the props to keep the aircraft stable, they will be working outside their design limits with an SLR affecting weight and balance. My view is that even if you can get an aircraft off the ground does not mean that it will remain controllable in all phases of flight. I am a pilot and I have witnessed first hand the smoking hole left by someone leaving the envelope.
2015-3-29
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The regulations in the UK are preferential to <7kg aircraft ... so I was doing some investigation into what would be the best weight ratios for aircraft vs payload and what cameras were available.

My conclusion:
As soon as better cameras are created at lighter weights then <7kg aircraft will be a serious option for professionals.

I'm guessing that this is why DJI are now part of the micro 3:4s group http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/

2015-4-2
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Have a look at the

Aerialtronics Altura UTX8

The numbers seem insane on this! Prices start at around €15,000 though and I saw jello in their promo videos -

http://aerialtronics.com
2015-4-2
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

supasympa Posted at 2015-4-2 20:03
Have a look at the

Aerialtronics Altura UTX8

Yes I have seen these, they look good.

I considered these for commercial use, but couldnt justify the price tag, which is rediculous and was told by another dealer that the gimbals on these are of an older generation/ design.

2015-4-2
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Check this out:

IXU180:

http://industrial.phaseone.com/iXU_camera_system.aspx

2015-4-2
Use props
Karman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1972 ft
Canada

If you have a Gopro but don't like the distorted look then you can mod it with these guys - stick a f1.4 50mm and your golden!

http://www.back-bone.ca
2015-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules