123456Next >
31420 218 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

DJI will be releasing a new firmware update today to further enhance flight safety and performance of the DJI Spark.

The new firmware update enhances Spark’s battery management system to optimize power supply during flight . In addition, the new firmware has added support to fully integrate Spark with the DJI Goggles, optimized the PalmLaunch function for better stability after takeoff, improved the accuracy of controls under the QuickShot Dronie mode and enhanced the compatibility of the remote controller when syncing up with new firmware updates.

When prompted on the DJI GO 4 App, users with internet connectivity will be able to download the new firmware to update their aircraft’s and battery's firmware. The aircraft and battery firmware updates can also be done via the DJI Assistant 2 desktop software. If the firmware of either the aircraft or the battery is not updated by September 1, Spark will not be able to take off. DJI decided on the option of a mandatory firmware update in order to maximize flight safety and product reliability which we consider as top priorities.

The update comes after DJI released new features for its Spark in early August to deliver a more powerful combination of video and photo improvements including a new gesture to start and stop video recording and enhanced QuickShot video features for more cinematic control.

2017-8-21
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

finally no more falling spark hopfully
2017-8-21
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

is there an RC update?
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh ... unable to take off by Sep. 1 st if not updated . No choice?
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 02:32

I'd imagine it would need an update of dji go to enforce so you could avoid that way but I can't imagine a reason why you would not want the new firmware. Companies don't brick their own products without a good reason as the mere act of doing so calls into doubt the validity of their earlier releases. In term of PR it's not a million miles better than Gopro's Karma recall in terms of egg on face.
2017-8-21
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 02:32

Sounds like they have found an important bug.
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Convert, probably you have never encounter a version of firmware that gives you more trouble than the one you have. Dji once gave customer choice to revert to good firmware or stay with current one to continue using the aircraft as was. But now you cannot take off. Dji should put in the advertised specification regarding this enforcement for the customer to decide to buy or not.
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-21 02:47
Sounds like they have found an important bug.

if so...Great job DJI and thank you for the update.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

And if I will not connect to the Internet, not use Your app, and not update, then what?
Force me to do this.
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:00
@Convert, probably you have never encounter a version of firmware that gives you more trouble than the one you have. Dji once gave customer choice to revert to good firmware or stay with current one to continue using the aircraft as was. But now you cannot take off. Dji should put in the advertised specification regarding this enforcement for the customer to decide to buy or not.

i highly doubt we will ever know what bug they found but im glad it was a software problem if this FW prevents fly aways and drops.
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Well, my 3 Sparks work perfectly. No trouble at all. Any choice to leave them as they are?
2017-8-21
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-21 03:05
And if will not connect to the Internet, not use Your app, and not update, then what?
Force me to do this.

Then when you put in a claim for repair they will say it was running an unsupported software version.
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:17
Well, my 3 Sparks work perfectly. No trouble at all. Any choice to leave them as they are?

no choice at all. some people had 70 flights over 7 hours with no falls until it did fall so i think maybe dji is making the right call.
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Lets see!...
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

They will do the same for other birds. Its not about safety nor bugs. DJI just do not want f/w modifications and force upgrades for users to make that not possible in future.
DJI GO also pushes through the net an f/w blockade i think, and i also think it could be reflashed, but i am happy i not connected to dji since activation.

I am curious about falling sparks bug - they fixed it by a software or its just a bait.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-21 03:16
Then when you put in a claim for repair they will say it was running an unsupported software version.

They will also refuse warranty when my bird gone by flyaway or fallinggate and i not find it.
I do not care specially of dji warranty. I would like to have a freedom of choice and i do not like when someone is trying to impose something on me. DJI want to impose on me where i can fly and when, and want to brick a devices You bought. Its Your choice and Your business what You want to do with your copter. You paid for it.
Only my government can do this, not DJI.

Unfortunately i need to admit - DJI is making great drones, thats why i bought it. Besides of that i do not like that company because of their agressive and ugly policy.
2017-8-21
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

How about connectivity improvements for us in Europe (CE) in this FW update?
Does it also include things like:
- Option to manually select 2.4 or 5.8Ghz wifi band (saved after poweroff)?
- OTG support?
- More stable connection (5.8Ghz "Signal Weak " warnings)?
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-21 03:25
They will also refuse warranty when my bird gone by flyaway or fallinggate and i not find it.
I do not care specially of dji warranty. I would like to have a freedom of choice and i do not like when someone is trying to impose something on me. DJI want to impose on me where i can fly and when, and want to brick a devices You bought. Its Your choice and Your business what You want to do with your copter. You paid for it.
Only my government can do this, not DJI.

you have to realize that if they don't do this and the drone flies into a moving car and causes an accident, etc... DJI will be in big trouble so yes, they have to do this for public safety(so they do not have some lawsuit against them)
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Thor1....Even perfect aircraft running perfect firmware can go into trouble anytime. They are electronic, very complicate one. I can live with that.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:28
you have to realize that if they don't do this and the drone flies into a moving car and causes an accident, etc... DJI will be in big trouble so yes, they have to do this for public safety(so they do not have some lawsuit against them)

They may recall and inform about potential danger, but they have no right to brick already sold device.

Operator is responsible for flying decisions, not DJI.
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:33
@Thor1....Even perfect aircraft running perfect firmware can go into trouble anytime. They are electronic, very complicate one. I can live with that.

You have to see there is a difference between an issue with a perfect aircraft and perfect FW having a problem and an aircraft with known imperfect FW having an issue directly causes by that imperfection. As the maker of that aircraft if you know of an issue it would be pretty irresponsible to not ensure all of them were flying with the imperfection corrected.
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:33

i agree but if they know it is not perfect than it needs to be fixed until it is as perfect as possible because then there is less chance of a problem occurring. its all about public liability and DJI don't want the governments of countries banning their drones because they gave consumers a choice. this would be bad for business.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-21 03:32
They may recall and inform about potential danger, but they have no right to brick already sold device.

Operator is responsible for flying decisions, not DJI.

i don't believe that is true when there is a higher potential for the general public to be affected(hurt). as for rights DJI certainly does have the rights to do this, legally at least.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Its the same as in the car case.
Car manufacturer may recall cars and inform an user, but have no right to brick a cars.
It happen many times in the past when things was recalled, but always its up to end user to decide he will use his own stuff as it is or go to the service.

And we are talking about 300g toy falling from  max 100 meters in most cases, not a 1500kg car moving 100-200 km/h.
Even a rock or stick may be deadly. Let's not go crazy.
2017-8-21
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-21 03:42
Car manufacturer may recall cars and inform an user, but have no right to brick a cars.
It happen many times in the past when things was recalled, but always its up to end user to decide he will use his own stuff as it is or go to the service.

I think you have to consider that this is a global forum and what happens in one country when a manufacturer knows of a issue is different to what happens in another country. Therefore they are taking the cautious approach

Just take a look at the "Firestone tyres" and "Ford Pinto fires" cases to see why manufacturers are careful once they are aware of an issue.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Yepp, thats right. Its global. Thats why i live in my country (and love it) to not be under of laws of other ones, and thats why i do not want DJI or someone else to impose 'not my rights', on me.
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Thor1, @Convert... Then why don't they spell clearly those serious problem that they found and let customer make decision.
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 04:01
@Thor1, @Convert... Then why don't they spell clearly those serious problem that they found and let customer make decision.

Yepp.

Car manufacturers are saying in straight - go to service because your airbag/brakes/throttle is faulty and you may die. Go or not, its up to you.

Many of sparks are flying well. Mine also. I know from the past a new f/w bringed more troubles than good. I would like to stay on what is stable for me.
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

In the EU manufacturers can make a compulsory recall notice if there is a risk to third parties. Unlike an advisory notice if the risk is more mitigated. As you say they can't brick your car....at the moment. If/when cars are more interconnected and 'phone home' more than they do now it will be interesting if we get to this stage too. DJI are in the position to do it now, cars may be just a few years behind.

It may only be 300g and only falling a 100m but it would give an innocent third party a hell of a headache!
2017-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Convert Posted at 2017-8-21 04:02
In the EU manufacturers can make a compulsory recall notice if there is a risk to third parties. Unlike an advisory notice if the risk is more mitigated. As you say they can't brick your car....at the moment. If/when cars are more interconnected and 'phone home' more than they do now it will be interesting if we get to this stage too. DJI are in the position to do it now, cars may be just a few years behind.

It may only be 300g and only falling a 100m but it would give an innocent third party a hell of a headache!

yes, it may. A rock or stick also. Lets not go crazy
2017-8-21
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Come on, guys!

DJI will NEVER tell exactly what are the problems being fixed on software updates, especialy the high danger problems ( like what cause Fall of sky).

Why? If DJI publicly admit the cause of fall of sky sparks, EVERY SPARK OWNERS , even the ones that spark fall on water and get lost WILL START A LAWSUIT and WIN ( because will have proof thats DJI fault).

Do you think DJI will make proofs against herself? never.

2017-8-21
Use props
mightyarrow
lvl.1

United States

In the words of someone else....

"These mandatory firmware updates or else you're grounded are an absolute evil. Why should I have to be grounded for a bird I own that flies fine for me right now? This has to end."
2017-8-21
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm glad DJI is stepping to the plate and releasing a new update.  I have not experienced any of the major issues that some of you have, so for me it will be a regular update.  I have not had the chance to test any of the features like, rocket, dronie ... etc as I have not gone anywhere without trees.

It would be nice for DJI to list the changes and to identify any issues the found causing them to do a mandatory update.  DJI???
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-21 04:03
yes, it may. A rock or stick also. Lets not go crazy

If you can throw a rock or a stick up to 100m in the air I suspect there is someone from the Polish Olympic  selection committee that would like to have a word with you
2017-8-21
Use props
mightyarrow
lvl.1

United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-21 04:05
I'm glad DJI is stepping to the plate and releasing a new update.  I have not experienced any of the major issues that some of you have, so for me it will be a regular update.  I have not had the chance to test any of the features like, rocket, dronie ... etc as I have not gone anywhere without trees.

It would be nice for DJI to list the changes and to identify any issues the found causing them to do a mandatory update.  DJI???

If this firmware is for flight safety, then DJI has a responsibility to list what that safety issue was.

Instead, they've opted not to, and forced a firmware update, which only builds more distrust with the community.
2017-8-21
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32641 ft
United States

Let’s just wait and see what the release notes say when the update is pushed. This is my 1st new dji drone. My last one was a used P2 non vision and I flew the props off of it. Lol
2017-8-21
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32641 ft
United States

Also , will there be a DJI Go 4 APP update for iOS and android today that goes with the sparks update.
2017-8-21
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

mightyarrow Posted at 2017-8-21 04:04
In the words of someone else....

"These mandatory firmware updates or else you're grounded are an absolute evil. Why should I have to be grounded for a bird I own that flies fine for me right now? This has to end."

my guess on this one is DJI uncovered a major flaw in their software/firmware that needs to be fixed.  This is either to avoid legal issues or to protect the spark owners of liabilities.  In either case this is good news from DJI.
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Convert .... you do not need 100 m for a small stone to do harm. As I said in this forum when someone complained hardly about the Spark problem. Dji has sold more than 100,000 Sparks and very few of them has problem. Even Dji support posting in this forum said that Dji made thousands of testing before each release of aircraft and firmware to give confidence and best experience to their customer. So that said, still some aircraft went into trouble while majority of them do their job well. I am so confident in Dji product but enforcing me to update firmware without good reason is not a choice.
2017-8-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

if 300g falling 100 meters, that will be over 3 KG of force on top of a persons head. that can do some damage.
2017-8-21
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules