31489 218 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

fabcarb Posted at 2017-8-21 16:57
It can be only my impression, but I've also found that it was less stable while hovering at 2m. I just tested it indoors and will wait until Saturday to let the bird fly again.

Anyway, I'm happy that this firmware update is being taken so seriously by DJI and will force all users to fix the issues we've been reading here in the past weeks. Hopefully all owners realize it before getting the road to fly it!

It was noticably shakey when before it was rock solid stable when hovering! Cheers for the reply and couldn't agree more glad they're taking these updates seriously.
2017-8-22
Use props
DMY
lvl.2
Philippines

Retroglide08 Posted at 2017-8-21 05:52
I don’t mean to talk out of turn here. I’ve had my Spark for three weeks with the worry that it might fall or fly away. So far I’ve been lucky but it is a worry. Nearly every day I see a story about a fall or flyway. If this update remedies those issues or make them as rare as possible then I’m pleased about that. I don’t care about the fact DJI haven’t told us what the problem was. I just want to enjoy flying the Spark. As for making it a compulsory update, then why not especially when it concerns safety. That’s just my view and I don’t mean to insult anyone

Agree 100%, I had the same apprehension ever since I heard about the cases of Spark falling out of the sky. DJI probably has a good reason for mandating firmware update (even if they don't specify what it is). My guess it that it has something to do with this problem. I am definitely updating before I fly my Spark again.
2017-8-22
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DMY Posted at 2017-8-22 00:17
Agree 100%, I had the same apprehension ever since I heard about the cases of Spark falling out of the sky. DJI probably has a good reason for mandating firmware update (even if they don't specify what it is). My guess it that it has something to do with this problem. I am definitely updating before I fly my Spark again.

I agree too, My Spark fell from the sky a few weeks ago and I've been aprehensive about flying it since. If this update fixes that it'll be a massive relief. I'm guessing it's those who have been lucky enough to have perfectly working sparks are complaining about the updates.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197 ft
United States

Tim1985 Posted at 2017-8-21 04:18
Also , will there be a DJI Go 4 APP update for iOS and android today that goes with the sparks update.

It's been out, for iOS at least

IMG_5860.PNG
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Thank you Mr.Dji for not grounding my Sparks after Sep.1st
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 02:48
Thank you Mr.Dji for not grounding my Sparks after Sep.1st

Why would it be grounded then?
2017-8-22
Use props
Trident
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6716 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I have just purchased spare batteries for my spark but the problem is I have no guarantee they will be with me before the September 1st deadline. My question is will they still brick my drone if they arrive after the !st. or will they update due to the fact the spark has been updated?
2017-8-22
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Trident Posted at 2017-8-22 03:21
Hi I have just purchased spare batteries for my spark but the problem is I have no guarantee they will be with me before the September 1st deadline. My question is will they still brick my drone if they arrive after the !st. or will they update due to the fact the spark has been updated?

You are reading this the wrong way around. After 1st September the spark will only take off with new firmware. It won't just brick it for good if it's not updated before that. After 1st Sep it will just ask you if you want to update it and if you do you are good to go. If not you will stay in on the ground!
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Montfroij ... as said in the release note, if you do not update Spark firmware by September 1st it cannot takeoff. Today I turned off all internet connections, set the mobile device date to Sep.3rd reboot mobile device, and with 0500 fw my Spark can still fly. That gives me a break. It allow me to decide whether I should update or not. It is normal that every firmware will contains error(s) and it will show up as time goes by. I can wait and see now.
2017-8-22
Use props
Trident
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6716 ft
United Kingdom

Convert Posted at 2017-8-22 03:25
You are reading this the wrong way around. After 1st September the spark will only take off with new firmware. It won't just brick it for good if it's not updated before that. After 1st Sep it will just ask you if you want to update it and if you do you are good to go. If not you will stay in on the ground!

Perfect buddy. Thanks for the quick response.
2017-8-22
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I'm a bit disappointed in this thread.  I was expecting to be given some details on *what* changes in the new firmware had been made that makes the new firmware so much safer, instead it is basically the same information from the new firmware release announcement thread.  

DJI should be honest with their loyal customers, instead of trying to hide what people already knew, that there was a flaw in the old firmware that had caused issues for some people.  
2017-8-22
Use props
Jestered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16112 ft
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 03:30
@Montfroij ... as said in the release note, if you do not update Spark firmware by September 1st it cannot takeoff. Today I turned off all internet connections, set the mobile device date to Sep.3rd reboot mobile device, and with 0500 fw my Spark can still fly. That gives me a break. It allow me to decide whether I should update or not. It is normal that every firmware will contains error(s) and it will show up as time goes by. I can wait and see now.

This is very irresponsible.  The update is mandatory for a reason.  More than likely a safety reason.  Possibly to keep them from falling out of the sky.  If you decide to wait to update, that's fine.  To continue flying using firmware that could cause property damage or personal injury is severely irresponsible.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Should DJI state clearly what are a reason of mandatory update and what hazard could cause from 0500 firmware and the owner continue to fly then the owner should be complained for being irresponsible. The flyaway and falling from the sky have been happening to all DJI aircraft even Inspire 2. It is responsibility of the owner not to fly the aircraft in neighborhood or near traffic or properties or out of line of sight. You will see soon after this update there will still be flyaway and falling Spark. Should you complain is DJI for producing and selling Spark. Quad is a very dangerous device by itsself because of its spinning propeller and weight. Put this device in wrong hand can harm people. Selling Spark standard set without propeller guard included while enabling advance gesture like Palm Launch/Landing is very irresponsible.
2017-8-22
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

TexasAerials Posted at 2017-8-22 04:20
I'm a bit disappointed in this thread.  I was expecting to be given some details on *what* changes in the new firmware had been made that makes the new firmware so much safer, instead it is basically the same information from the new firmware release announcement thread.  

DJI should be honest with their loyal customers, instead of trying to hide what people already knew, that there was a flaw in the old firmware that had caused issues for some people.

DJI will NEVER tell exactly what are the problems being fixed on software updates, especialy the high danger problems ( like what cause Fall of sky).

Why? If DJI publicly admit the cause of fall of sky sparks, EVERY SPARK OWNERS , even the ones that spark fall on water and get lost WILL START A LAWSUIT and WIN ( because will have proof thats DJI fault).

Do you think DJI will make proofs against herself? never.
2017-8-22
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 05:09
Should DJI state clearly what are a reason of mandatory update and what hazard could cause from 0500 firmware and the owner continue to fly then the owner should be complained for being irresponsible. The flyaway and falling from the sky have been happening to all DJI aircraft even Inspire 2. It is responsibility of the owner not to fly the aircraft in neighborhood or near traffic or properties or out of line of sight. You will see soon after this update there will still be flyaway and falling Spark. Should you complain is DJI for producing and selling Spark. Quad is a very dangerous device by itsself because of its spinning propeller and weight. Put this device in wrong hand can harm people. Selling Spark standard set without propeller guard included while enabling advance gesture like Palm Launch/Landing is very irresponsible.

Agree.
2017-8-22
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 413835 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Im Carl and new to the forum and recently got a Spark.

I updated to the new FW and it seems to be going great. Just come back from a test flight and I was able to get to 972m range and I believe it would go further (this was using 2.4ghz. I got to 518mm range using 5ghz). Pleased, as previous to this update i wasn't able to get past 200m. I will double confirm when i get home - as the 972m range was done at a different place to where i normally fly. Fingers crossed and i look forward to speaking with you all in the future.
2017-8-22
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-8-22 06:04
Hi all,

Im Carl and new to the forum and recently got a Spark.

and you were in Europe when you flew 972 meters? and were you next to the home point when you read that distance? or were you following the drone on foot or in a vehicle??
2017-8-22
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I am in the UK and I didn't move from the home point. I kept the drone in the straightest line possible. Have i read it wrong then? Apologies if i have.
2017-8-22
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-8-22 06:15
I am in the UK and I didn't move from the home point. I kept the drone in the straightest line possible. Have i read it wrong then? Apologies if i have.

i don't think you read it wrong but it is my understanding is that the spark isn't supposed to be physically capable of flying that distance from the RC anywhere in Europe because of some frequency laws or something. if someone has a better understanding of this please explain as i am from Canada and i do not fully understand.

Good for you if you can actually fly that far though.
2017-8-22
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ahh I see - I just measured the route line on Google Earth and it definitely did go that far.  Hopefully when I get home tonight ill test it there and see what happens
2017-8-22
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1733612 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

RE: DJI Spark Firmware Update Enhances Flight Safety

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-22 06:37
i don't think you read it wrong but it is my understanding is that the spark isn't supposed to be physically capable of flying that distance from the RC anywhere in Europe because of some frequency laws or something. if someone has a better understanding of this please explain as i am from Canada and i do not fully understand.

Good for you if you can actually fly that far though.

The RF regulations will cause it to go much less far than in the US, but 500m on 5.8 and about 900 on 2.4 sounds about correct as far as real world experience goes if you're ok with a crappy broken image.

It's not hardcoded, actual performance will depend on environment and can vary a lot from a day / location to the next.
2017-8-22
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

900m will be great, I hope that is achievable here in the uk.  
I have not tried such distances yet on my Spark as I really wanted this firmware to be done so that it didn't fall.
I did get 1100m with a stock P3S a few months back, so I do know that you can exceed what is expected quite a lot in good flying areas.
2017-8-22
Use props
Wx_Striker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24728 ft
United States

Trident Posted at 2017-8-22 03:21

The mandatory update time is just that - You will just need to update them BEFORE you fly -- You can update them anytime afterwords.  i.e. many sparks sitting on shelf will need this update after they are sold.
2017-8-22
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Monday right after updating firmwares, I just add my longuer range with 5.8 GHz and OTG in France :

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=bdPMbe
2017-8-22
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-22 05:48
DJI will NEVER tell exactly what are the problems being fixed on software updates, especialy the high danger problems ( like what cause Fall of sky).

Why? If DJI publicly admit the cause of fall of sky sparks, EVERY SPARK OWNERS , even the ones that spark fall on water and get lost WILL START A LAWSUIT and WIN ( because will have proof thats DJI fault).

whether they want to or not should have no bearing on whether or not its the right thing to do.  
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 03:30

Not sure why you would prefer flying with software that for sure contains a or some serious bug(s) just to see if the new software might have other bugs.
The new firmware will have other bugs, but not the (serious) ones they fix (so we have to assume....)
I would rather not take the gable and fly with software that is sure to contain bugs that matter to everyone's safety.
And test the new software with caution, also following this forum
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

@Montfroij ... because none of my 3 Sparks has problem and DJI didn't say that this new firmware is problem-free vrsion. So it is nonsense to force me update at limited time. I have my freedom to decide when to update. Until there is no report of serious issue using this new firmware I may decide to do it. For now I prefer flying my Sparks responsibly.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

I get used to the flyaway or falling DJI's quad. It happens to every model. Being well tested by DJI before releasing to customer makes me confident in DJI products. I have almost every DJI 's consumer quads. P3P, P4, P4P, Mavic, Inspire 1 and 2 and this Spark. I have been following the issues of each model. Some of them always flew away or falling. But the problem of some of them do not imply that all of them are having problem. Otherwise you will encounter the problem within a number of flight. But this has never happen to most Sparks. This confirm to me that statistically the current firmware does work well and certainly with my Sparks. Now I know that my Sparks have no issue with current firmware. But will they have problem with new firmware. Should I take any risk flying new firmware into someone's head? Why would I do that? Rather taking risk with unknown problem of the new firmware, I prefer flying with current firmware that I know having no problem with my Sparks. Other people are good beta tester. Until there is no report of serious issue I may consider the updating.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

To be honest. I will not buy DJI's quad anymore. Spark will be the last. If DJI can remotely controlling the use of my properties then someday, when in need, I may not be able to use it. Today DJI can stop my Spark from taking off. What's next? To what end?
2017-8-22
Use props
tllong
New
United States

Just completed the mandatory update. Now my Spark is unstable and erratic and drifted by itself into a wall. Thanks, DJI.
2017-8-22
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

tllong Posted at 2017-8-22 14:16
Just completed the mandatory update. Now my Spark is unstable and erratic and drifted by itself into a wall. Thanks, DJI.

Have you tried recalibrate the IMU and compass?
2017-8-22
Use props
crypiehef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47707 ft
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-21 02:41
I'd imagine it would need an update of dji go to enforce so you could avoid that way but I can't imagine a reason why you would not want the new firmware. Companies don't brick their own products without a good reason as the mere act of doing so calls into doubt the validity of their earlier releases. In term of PR it's not a million miles better than Gopro's Karma recall in terms of egg on face.

DJI got in trouble with Apple (at least) by baking in an updater to the DJI Go app. Therefor the app doesn't need to be updated from the App store. They can update it on the fly from their servers. The Android version also has this capability. Therefor the app was likely already updated to enforce this decision.
2017-8-23
Use props
crypiehef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47707 ft
United States

jh8 Posted at 2017-8-21 03:28
How about connectivity improvements for us in Europe (CE) in this FW update?
Does it also include things like:
- Option to manually select 2.4 or 5.8Ghz wifi band (saved after poweroff)?

In this update they said it now supports DJI Goggles therefor wouldn't it have to support the OTG cable?
2017-8-23
Use props
Jestered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16112 ft
United States

crypiehef Posted at 2017-8-23 11:07
DJI got in trouble with Apple (at least) by baking in an updater to the DJI Go app. Therefor the app doesn't need to be updated from the App store. They can update it on the fly from their servers. The Android version also has this capability. Therefor the app was likely already updated to enforce this decision.

Where did you hear that they got in trouble with Apple?  There are plenty of apps that do the same thing and I don't ever remember reading anything in the ADP agreement that says you can't do this.
2017-8-23
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-21 04:23
if 300g falling 100 meters, that will be over 3 KG of force on top of a persons head. that can do some damage.

It can. Everything can. Life is dangerous, $hit happens.

I got hit by a rock falling from the sky when i rode a motorcycle. I had helmet. Hit was so strong i almost crashed.
I just saw a blink in sky then got it just on the helmet visior.
Do not ask me what a rock did in the air, we both know a rocks have no wings.
2017-8-23
Use props
New
Flight distance : 2598 ft
Germany

DJI, that's it! As it seems some of your programmers didn’t do their job (again). My Spark has been working perfectly so far, but you want it to become a paper weight. Next thing I will do is to contact my local dealer and return the Spark, because it won’t be any good for me after the first of September. Why should I do an update when the company that caused the problem doesn’t tell me what’s wrong with it? Imagine your car been called to the next garage because reasons.  Congratulations DJI! You do the worst communication in the world. You really know how to destroy trust! The Spark was my second and for sure the last drone I bought from you.
2017-8-23
Use props
TheFlyingDutchm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 717336 ft
Norway

I would say DJI IS saying what's wrong with it. Flight safety. They just choose their words carefully. If an Airline manufacturer like Boeing found a flaw in their aircraft and issued a mandatory fix for it. Would you like to be the passenger on that plane that the airline didn't fix because it had been flying fine so far? Don't think so.
2017-8-23
Use props
DjTaz
New
Flight distance : 2270 ft
Ireland

I've installed this but havent flow since as it was late.  I was having some issues with communications but hopefully its resolved now , ill update when i try it
2017-8-24
Use props
SafariMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

TheFlyingDutchm Posted at 2017-8-23 22:15
I would say DJI IS saying what's wrong with it. Flight safety. They just choose their words carefully. If an Airline manufacturer like Boeing found a flaw in their aircraft and issued a mandatory fix for it. Would you like to be the passenger on that plane that the airline didn't fix because it had been flying fine so far? Don't think so.

Point is why did they then sell the spark if it had safety issues. Then why it took them so long to react. And why are they not more transparent?
I guess those updates are more here to react on the latest modifications happening on some forums...
Same is valid for the mavic as well
2017-8-24
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1733612 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

TheFlyingDutchm Posted at 2017-8-23 22:15

The official release notes that you see on the site and app do not clearly mention a flight safety issue.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules