Crystalsky 7,85 Compass Problem (Jerking)
123Next >
5844 81 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Roli6 Posted at 2017-9-23 01:38
My 7.85 does also still jerk like crazy after Update.
For nearly 700€ this is not acceptable.

Have you calibrated the compass in CrystalSky Settings?
2017-9-25
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-25 21:04
Sorry for the late response, please post the case number here, I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you, no worries.
It is case # CAS-1019297-F4Q8V4

Best Regards,
Rick
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Keule Posted at 2017-9-21 10:58
After updating to V02.03.00.00, the compass jerking is gone on my 5.5". It's not 100% perfect, but waaayyy better than the previous firmware version.

OK, please keep us updated if there is further question.
2017-9-25
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1104157 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I think I could reproduce the jerking by increasing the ambient temperature and get rid of it by cooling CS down. I placed two Crystalsky on dual remote and conclude that it could occur it all CS. Here is my link:

https://youtu.be/KjJV53ZBDSs
2017-9-30
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

Agreed,  this morning it was cooler and the compass was performing normally. I did also calibrate both the mavic and the CS, but pretty sure the ambient temp is a factor.
2017-9-30
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Under high ambient temperature compass calibration also fails more often whele jerking occurs. This could consistently solved by cooling down with air conditioner and reproduced by heating up. 31C seems to be a threshold when it is under direct sunlight.
2017-10-1
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

fans48950774 Posted at 2017-10-1 08:12
Under high ambient temperature compass calibration also fails more often whele jerking occurs. This could consistently solved by cooling down with air conditioner and reproduced by heating up. 31C seems to be a threshold when it is under direct sunlight.

Mine jerked around in the house at room temp, 72 F / 22 C.
2017-10-1
Use props
edaniels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3436519 ft
United States

My 7.8" Compass still bouncing all over....
2017-10-1
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-19 21:36
Have you calibrated the compass in Settings of CrystalSky?

Yes, every time. Calibration works only when temperature below 31-32 celcius and fail or behave oddly when above 35C
2017-10-1
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

rparge Posted at 2017-10-1 10:39

The circuit seems to produce low frequency oscillation and it seems under influence of electromagnetic interference and physical influences especially temperature. It is more likely a hardware problem with the circuit design. Its only my theory.
2017-10-1
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

rparge Posted at 2017-10-1 10:39

The circuit seems to produce low frequency oscillation and it seems under influence of electromagnetic interference and physical influences especially temperature. It is more likely a hardware problem with the circuit design. Its only my theory.
2017-10-1
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

fans48950774 Posted at 2017-10-1 20:09

so if you have true, DJI cant fix it.. right?
2017-10-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans48950774 Posted at 2017-10-1 19:59
Yes, every time. Calibration works only when temperature below 31-32 celcius and fail or behave oddly when above 35C

I'm so sorry for the late response because of Chinese National Day Holiday.
Thanks for your findings, will feedback to our engineers to see if this issue is caused by temperature.
Will keep you updated.
2017-10-12
Use props
fansecb32bb5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4288 ft
United States

I have the same problem with major jerking on the radar. After installing a " parabolic radar antenna range booster"  from Amazon, the jerking seems to have stopped. Perhaps the range booster keeps the RF  from bleeding into the CrystalSky. This needs more testing as I am skeptical but hopeful.
2017-10-15
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

today i fly in morning  9 celosius temp and compas was ok.
2017-10-17
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

One more bit of data on the issue. I did the calibration of the CrystalSky 7.8 then powered it down. I then started the Inspire 2 remote, which triggered power up of the CrystalSky. After boot was complete, started the Inspire 2. With the remote sitting on a table, the compass was rock steady. Tapping lightly on the remote caused the radar to jump with every light tap. Also picking up the remote and moving it cause the radar to display the jumping. Putting the remote back on the table, radar was rock solid again. Justs reporting observations on my end. One question on calibration though - I would think the compass calibration for the CrystalSky should be done attached to the remote to factor in the metal presence. Is that correct or should it be detached?  Thanks!!
2017-11-1
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

amorrison Posted at 2017-11-1 06:55
One more bit of data on the issue. I did the calibration of the CrystalSky 7.8 then powered it down. I then started the Inspire 2 remote, which triggered power up of the CrystalSky. After boot was complete, started the Inspire 2. With the remote sitting on a table, the compass was rock steady. Tapping lightly on the remote caused the radar to jump with every light tap. Also picking up the remote and moving it cause the radar to display the jumping. Putting the remote back on the table, radar was rock solid again. Justs reporting observations on my end. One question on calibration though - I would think the compass calibration for the CrystalSky should be done attached to the remote to factor in the metal presence. Is that correct or should it be detached?  Thanks!!

I have tried it both ways, still jerks around.
Have not tried the antennae booster that was mentioned in this thread.
Would be interested in confirmation of that.
2017-11-1
Use props
fansecb32bb5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4288 ft
United States

rparge Posted at 2017-11-1 15:58
I have tried it both ways, still jerks around.
Have not tried the antennae booster that was mentioned in this thread.
Would be interested in confirmation of that.

The antenna booster from Amazon helped but only to a certain point. After testing, the radar was slightly more stable but still suffered from jerking motion and was not reliable.
2017-11-2
Use props
BlueBird1
New
United States

I have this same issue with the 5.5" display and a Mavic. Calibrating the compass hasn't helped to fix it.
2017-11-2
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI...any update for this problem and the Strong Wireless Interference? Seems like it is being going on for while. I wish I had seeing the threads about all the problems before purchasing, got yesterday (7.85") and already clocked 5 plus hours wasted searching the boards for answers.  I have a $600 paper weight at moment

I noticed that if I put the monitor way back, meaning the CS battery is closer to the RC antennas it even get worst as for wireless interference....I wonder if the CS battery have something to do with it
2017-11-3
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

HDPS Posted at 2017-11-3 07:31
DJI...any update for this problem and the Strong Wireless Interference? Seems like it is being going on for while. I wish I had seeing the threads about all the problems before purchasing, got yesterday (7.85") and already clocked 5 plus hours wasted searching the boards for answers.  I have a $600 paper weight at moment

I noticed that if I put the monitor way back, meaning the CS battery is closer to the RC antennas it even get worst as for wireless interference....I wonder if the CS battery have something to do with it

I have 5.5 and was having interference but when I switched to the mavic dji bracket the interference has been much less.  I think it has something to do with the crystal sky being too close to the antennas and with the mounting bracket being farther back it appears to help.  
2017-11-3
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129754 ft
United States

Visualkaos Posted at 2017-11-3 10:09
I have 5.5 and was having interference but when I switched to the mavic dji bracket the interference has been much less.  I think it has something to do with the crystal sky being too close to the antennas and with the mounting bracket being farther back it appears to help.

I moved mine off the controller (Inspire 2) with a 3 foot cable and still had the issue.
2017-11-3
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Orind, thanks for the post...saved me to buy a longer cable as I was going to do that next.......and, where is DJI Support?
2017-11-3
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rparge Posted at 2017-9-23 08:56
I sent mine in for repair, will update my results upon return of unit.

Have you got it back??........... actually repaired??????
2017-11-4
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rparge Posted at 2017-9-23 08:56
I sent mine in for repair, will update my results upon return of unit.

2017-11-4
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

HDPS Posted at 2017-11-4 16:47

Thanks for the reminder, my unit was sent back to me, and it still does this - no improvement.
At this point I am resigned to waiting for an app update hoping it will fix this issue.
2017-11-4
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, they just sent back and said no issue found?

I have sent my P4P RC and the part#54 (HDMI Module) to the Service center because my DJI Goggles would not work plugged to the HDMI port, only works via USB port....but then I cannot use the USB for the iPad4 Mini...so, after 2 months waiting, it all come back and they said, No problems found.......but, the HDMI port is just for looks, still not working......so it was never fixed, whatever the problem is.

THAT was the reason I end up buying the CS....so I can plug the DJI Goggles to the HDMI port  from the CS...it works, but Goggles vid is not 1080  
2017-11-4
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, the Pilot App Beta on the Crystalsky does not have the jerking issue with its Radar display. The radar is very stable, so I don't think it is a hardware issue with the Crystalsky. Actually I would be fine with the Radar display just being locked on true north until a permanent fix was found.
2017-11-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I have received my CS 7.85 last Saturday. At my first flight I noticed that the compass was about 90° wrong. After calibration of the CS compass the issue was solved. So far I have not experienced that other problem  of a "jerking" compass.
2017-11-7
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Any news Mindy??
2017-11-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Mindy has today responded in two other threads that a new firmware version is out and ready for download.
2017-11-9
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I just updated it with the newest fw today and the jerking disappeared although there is still a systemic error in the anti-chockwise direction of the radar of 20 degrees after all the calibrations of compasses. One word of caution for older P4p fw. If the CS is switched on followed by the remote and lastly the bird, the bird will lost connection with the remote. It took me half an hour in the field trying to rebind. Just switch on CS after switching on the remote and the bird solves it.
2017-11-10
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

Well, now it is totally useless. The radar pointer just points one direction, and does not reflect the direction of the AC.
I have reset to default and re calibrated the compass too many times to count
I tested on an Android device, and the radar pointer is perfect, it turns with the AC, and works as designed.
2017-11-10
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
United States

Can not get my crystal sky compass to calibrate--start rotating--sometimes it accepts the first rotations and changes the axis, but never completes--never throws an error, but man my hands get tired--any suggesitons?  Tried restoring the crystalsky and working form fresh--no change.
2017-11-10
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
United States

Never mind--user error on my part--got it.
2017-11-10
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Orind Posted at 2017-11-10 20:20
Can not get my crystal sky compass to calibrate--start rotating--sometimes it accepts the first rotations and changes the axis, but never completes--never throws an error, but man my hands get tired--any suggesitons?  Tried restoring the crystalsky and working form fresh--no change.

After some trial and error, I found that the steps are important.
1. Turn on the remote.
2. Turn on the bird.
3. Connect the CS to the remote to turn it on and start DJI Go 4.
4. Calibrate the compass of the bird.
5. Calibrate CS compass. If the first beep occur before a complete 360 degree turn in the first axis, or the second axis turn do not result in the second beep after 90 degree of turn, the calibration is considered failed and need to be repeated. The CS will not calibrate properly if there is magnetic interference nearby or when it is hotter. Calibration shortly after turn on appear more easy than when it heats up.
2017-11-10
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Orind Posted at 2017-11-10 20:20

1. Turn on the remote.
2. Turn on the bird.
3. Connect the CS to the remote to turn it on and start DJI Go 4.
4. Calibrate the compass of the bird.
5. Calibrate CS compass. If the first beep occur before a complete 360 degree turn in the first axis, or the second axis turn do not result in the second beep after 90 degree of turn, the calibration is considered failed and need to be repeated. The CS will not calibrate properly if there is magnetic interference nearby or when it is hotter. Calibration shortly after turn on appear more easy than when it heats up.
2017-11-10
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans48950774 Posted at 2017-11-10 20:52
1. Turn on the remote.
2. Turn on the bird.

so.....did you calibrated the CS alone so you detached from the controller correct...did not see this step

I tried that, compass still miss behaving.......and the Warnings about Radio Interference every 4 seconds as well...new firmware did nothing for the 2 issues.
2017-11-11
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HDPS Posted at 2017-11-11 13:45
so.....did you calibrated the CS alone so you detached from the controller correct...did not see this step

I tried that, compass still miss behaving.......and the Warnings about Radio Interference every 4 seconds as well...new firmware did nothing for the 2 issues.

Could be a faulty unit.
2017-11-24
Use props
tokon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1732707 ft
Germany

What about this problem? Should that be fixed in the actuel firmware?

Today I have used my Crystalsky 7,85 the first time with DJI Go 4 and the P4P and I have still noticed this problem.
2018-5-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules