1975 48 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-31 19:10
To Richj53,

Can you please tell me if your flying the Inspire 1 or the Inspire 2 ?

That's actually a great question ... it has been bugging me for a while.

I'm confused how some report zero negative impact from the June 2017 update. Seems people who have been affected had purchased their hardware all through the product life, so I'm guessing it isn't due to a particular version of some hardware component ... but maybe it is due to that?

I couldn't imagine I did something wrong during the firmware update, it is very straightforward.

Is there a way to check certain components version in the hardware?

Also, maybe a lot of people don't notice the issues if they fly within just a few hundred meters. That range could easily satisfy a wide range of use cases for Inspire 2 owners. But then we get into the discussion about the promised range capabilities ...

Anyway just really hoping for a solution soon. I know this issue is not just Impacting Inspire 2. There's Magic Pro and Phantom owners suffering the same.

So with that, my belief is that the problem is extremely widespread, affecting many of DJI's current products, and has got to be something they are very aware of. Whether a change made on purpose or on accident (ahem QC), it is a bad firmware in my opinion, and it is a bit discouraging how long we have been dealing with this without at least a proper confirmation/acknowledgement from DJI

It feels like our boat sunk and we are now stuck in a life boat in the middle of the ocean, hoping someone comes by, somehow sees us ... and rescues us!
2017-9-1
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

I wonder whether these issues are widely curriculated and reported in the industry magazines. Without media pressure users concern seem to be fallen onto deaf ears.
2017-9-1
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 12:56
It's odd to me, that DJI the most popular drone company, on the tiny spinning planet, continues to put out faulty firmware, or buggered drones themselves.  What happened to discriminating techs who test their products thoroughly before shipping?  Same with the app/s, who's testing this stuff?
Why has there been so many drone pilots sharing their horror stories, and it's across the board.
I had secretly hoped it was only a few Phantom drones affected but we see similar negative experiences after updates, in the Inspire forum and others as well.

RHP

I think DJI is moving to fast sometimes (light speed) and mistakes are being made in the FW. I do not see how it is possible to have so many drones with different features all be  controlled with one App.  On top of that they keep tweaking the editing side of the software.  I like the good old days of the simple pilot app   I wish DJI would come out with a DJI Go Pro App for the pros that would like great quality flight controls!!  but do not want all of the other stuff.
My drones are working with latest FW and the latest DJI Go Apps
my fleet as follows:
Inspire 1,   iPad mini 4
Inspire 2,   iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro 10.5  
P4P,          iPad mini 4
Mavic Pro,  iPhone 7
Spark,        iPhone 7

All of these are doing fine
Problems that I have noted

1) Mavic Pro, you can not toggle on or off the radar chart on the screen for OA

2) Spark  has some time lag on Wi-Fi HD down link sometimes during flight (even when it is close to me)

3) Inspire 1 after starting up the DJI Go App and the aircraft, the home screen flickers between Phantom and Inspire series. Sometimes you cannot get it to go into the App at all, I reboot the device and then it works.  CPU overloaded sometimes, but not after clearing the cache files from my device. I have not seen this for several flights now. *****

4) Inspire 2 you can not toggle on or off the radar chart on the screen for OA (same condition as the P4P) HD video can be problematic at times, but in custom (manual mode) it works great for me everytime. I tend to stay on 2.4G instead of 5.8G at this time.  IPad mini works great for me but the iPad Pro 10.5 is super fast and very sweet!  *****

5) P4P works very nicely in all respects and sometimes the camera gimbal struggles at high speed.

*****   Please note that I run my HD video in custom mode / manual  (not automatic) and select the clear channels for my HD video streaming in the areas I fly. Once DJI fixes the FW then I will try to go back to automatic again.

Rich
2017-9-1
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-31 19:10
To Richj53,

Can you please tell me if your flying the Inspire 1 or the Inspire 2 ?

Hi Neil
I didn't see your question until today. I am flying both the Inspire 1 and Inspire 2. They are both running the latest FW and running the latest Go Apps. I updated the Inspire 2 using my iPad mini 4 with the USB A to A cable to the aircraft with the remote turned on. After the update was completed. I needed to update the GEO NFZ  maps and then it has not bugged me anymore.

I have calibrated the IMU and compass cold (this is SOP for me) and checked all of my settings etc. Please note that I run my HD video in custom mode / manual  (not automatic) and select the clear channels for my HD video streaming. Once DJI fixes the FW then I will try to go back to automatic again.

Rich
2017-9-1
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:57
That's actually a great question ... it has been bugging me for a while.

I'm confused how some report zero negative impact from the June 2017 update. Seems people who have been affected had purchased their hardware all through the product life, so I'm guessing it isn't due to a particular version of some hardware component ... but maybe it is due to that?

I understand your frustration and do not think you did anything wrong installing the FW. I am not sure why some are having more trouble than others, its a mystery to all of outside the DJI circle of trust.

I wonder if you have a bad encoder board on the Inspire 2?  or the FW update caused damage somehow?

I can tell you that my Mavic Pro  works perfectly and easily can go over 6000 feet (VLOS) with the goggles in a controlled airspace it will hit the maximum distance... Also, my P4P can do the same VLOS without any video break up.   My Inspire 1 never goes out that far, but I have not had any issues lately with it either. I just checked my flight records and the top distance is 10,656 feet on my Inspire 2, but keep in mind that I do not need to push the limits on my Inspires.

Rich
2017-9-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-1 21:21
RHP

I think DJI is moving to fast sometimes (light speed) and mistakes are being made in the FW. I do not see how it is possible to have so many drones with different features all be  controlled with one App.  On top of that they keep tweaking the editing side of the software.  I like the good old days of the simple pilot app   I wish DJI would come out with a DJI Go Pro App for the pros that would like great quality flight controls!!  but do not want all of the other stuff.

The idea of a specific app for each DJI model seems like a best wished for scenario.
Will it ever happen? Perhaps if HQ would wake up and realize the bloat, may eventually sink the boat.
Why the Go app is controlling so many different drones and devices is beyond me. Developers should be hired for specific models, and write script for those models alone, not jumble it altogether.

Obviously, some drones, don't work well, with others, and must be kept seperate and true to their self.
I would have hoped for more, for everybody. Having a trouble free drone has been great. If only the pilot were more professional!! Ha
Lessons learned. ;-)

It surprises me, to read about troubled drones, throughout the forum, all various models have issues.
Just as you have so eloquently noted.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-2
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-1 21:50
I understand your frustration and do not think you did anything wrong installing the FW. I am not sure why some are having more trouble than others, its a mystery to all of outside the DJI circle of trust.

I wonder if you have a bad encoder board on the Inspire 2?  or the FW update caused damage somehow?

Yea, it would be great to know the inside info from the circle! Until then, who knows.

It would be great if someone at DJI could acknowledge it publicly. Even tho many people are not having issues, it does seem "interesting" to me that we don't have an official acknowledgement for those of us that are all but 100% confident that our problems are due to the recent firmware and/or app updates.

Just want to know they are working on getting this sorted out, or that we aren't going crazy.
2017-9-2
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

i am starting to wonder if dji has an unknown code in their firmwares that they cannot find. that could be possibly attacking older birds?
2017-9-5
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-1 21:21
RHP

I think DJI is moving to fast sometimes (light speed) and mistakes are being made in the FW. I do not see how it is possible to have so many drones with different features all be  controlled with one App.  On top of that they keep tweaking the editing side of the software.  I like the good old days of the simple pilot app   I wish DJI would come out with a DJI Go Pro App for the pros that would like great quality flight controls!!  but do not want all of the other stuff.

Went do some flying today.  Nice cool day in the mid 70's. Put the iPad Air in Airplane Mode and made sure nothing else was running. Also used a custom HD channel instead of auto, but the iPad still ended up giving me a CPU overload warning.  At least I got 16 minutes out of it before that happened.
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules