intermittent streaming video - works 20% of the time - how to fix?
3917 13 2014-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ecotope123
lvl.1

Canada

Hi. I bought the vision+ a few months ago. It's been great experience, and it an excellent product. Thanks.

However, there is one issue that I have had right from the beginning. The FPV video streaming to my phone/tablet rarely works properly, maybe about 20% of the time. I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others. I've tried 2 different android phones, and a nexus 7 tablet. All of them have worked sometimes, and then not, and then worked again. When it works, it's amazing. When it doesn't, it's extremely frustrating. I have been able to work around it a bit when taking pictures by downloading (using app album) the image from the phantom while it hovers, and then adjusting position/angle if I need to. Then try again and repeat reviewing image... I have everything updated to the latest version/firmware etc.

But it's very frustrating. Is there anything I can do to improve the streaming reliability? According to the app reviews on Google Play store, it seems to be a common issue with the vision+. I really like the simplicity and compactness of the current system, and the easy to use phone app. Which is why I didn't go for a separate gopro, monitor, iosd etc....

Is this a warranty item?

If I 'modded' a better antenna to the wifi booster, would that help? If so, what antenna would anyone recommend, if any? Any other suggestions to improve the reliability of the streaming video? If it would solve the problem, I would be happy to purchase a new wifi extender, but I'm not sure where the issue is.  

Thanks for any help,

dave
2014-10-16
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Hi Dave,
Please offer me more details about the FPV video streaming .
Any picture or video will be much appreciated.
Here is our warranty policy details:
http://www.dji.com/service
2014-10-17
Use props
ecotope123
lvl.1

Canada

Hi Blair,

I'm not sure what type of video you would like. The problem is that the streaming will likely start out fine when I turn on the phantom and the vision app (Android version). But once I take off, the FPV streaming will last about 5 seconds and then freeze. All the other flight data (satellites, battery, distance etc.) all continue to work fine. If I go back to the album to look at the pictures I've taken, when I return to the main camera screen it just remains black (but with flight info).

I've tried all the different preview settings, 30 and 15 fps. Not sure what else to do. Maybe I should 'rebinding' the camera, although I'll have to look at what that means exactly.

Would you like me to try to video the actual loss of the streaming video? I might be able to try that over the weekend.

thanks

dave
2014-10-17
Use props
ecotope123
lvl.1

Canada

I should mention that all the controls for the camera and gimbal continue to work fine as well. It's just the FPV streaming that is the problem.
2014-10-17
Use props
rhesus1
New

United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

I'm having exactly the same issue, I had put the problem down to a possible busy 2.4 spectrum when flying in my back garden, but had the same issue flying on a beach recently. Bringing down the resolution and frame rate however does seem to improve the video a bit. I'll be interested to see if you have a faulty product, before I go doing any antenna modifications, which I thought would be the only way to fix the issue. I too have had the P2V+ for a few month and had been concentrating on "line of sight flying" rather than FPV, so whilst annoying wasn't stopping me enjoying the P2V+ so much.

Please let me know how you get on, looks like it will be a nice sunny day in the UK tomorrow so I will go out and do some testing and share my results.

Thanks

Rhesus.
2014-10-17
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

ecotope123@gmai Posted at 2014-10-17 22:52
I should mention that all the controls for the camera and gimbal continue to work fine as well. It's ...

What preview quality are you using?
did you try with a lower preview quality and if yes did the problem remain the same or was it improved?
2014-10-17
Use props
ecotope123
lvl.1

Canada

I've used all video preview quality settings, with no apparent difference. Like rhesus said above, I've been sticking with line of sight flying because I just don't trust the FPV, even when it appears to be working.

I've just purchased the signal booster app that has been recommended elsewhere on the forums, and maybe it will improve things a bit? I'm going to spend some real time with it over the weekend, and will report back with any new observations.

dave
2014-10-17
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

The FPV booster app ( there is also a free one for android ) and the antenna mods are there to increase the range but IMHO you have a technical issue if you can't get a good video stream while the unit is close and neither of those options will fix this
2014-10-17
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Hi Dave,
That seems to be the wifi module issue.
It is suggested to ask for dealer and send it back for maintenance to our repair center if you still can not fix it.
Here is our support center info: http://www.dji.com/support
2014-10-19
Use props
DiscoDave
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for the responses. I did try a number of flights over the weekend, and it worked everytime! Not sure what to make of that. I ran out of battery juice, so it was just the three attempts. I used the FPV Booster app the last time.

I was away from any wifi signals at the time. Maybe my module is sensitive to interference from other wifi network activity? Tomorrow I am going to be in a good location to test again, and I'll try a number of short flight cycles (although no wifi at that location). If it works fine there, then I'll go to a location where I know I've lost streaming signals before.

thanks again!

dave
2014-10-21
Use props
rhesus1
New

United Kingdom

Dave,

I also tried the FPV booster app for Android, made a huge difference even just testing around the house. Im confused why this feature is not available through the DJI phantom vision assistant 3.2 ?

My only concern is i'm sure there is a reason the power levels are set at the levels they are by DJI, and this experience seems so very common with many V2+ owners to be an isolated fault.

Still interested to see how your testing gets on, too windy in the UK for any range testing at the moment. (Well too windy for me)

Cheers

Jason
2014-10-22
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Jason,  the simple reason why it is not with the DJI vision assistance is that changing the output power also puts the EIRP over the legal limits.
2014-10-22
Use props
DiscoDave
lvl.1

Canada

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-22 22:37
Jason,  the simple reason why it is not with the DJI vision assistance is that changing the output p ...

Now I don't know what to think. I've now had 6 excellent FPV streaming experiences in a row. I'm starting to believe that wifi interference could be a significant component of the problem, because all these recent good streaming events occurred well away from any other wifi networks. However, one of the more recent times where it started ok, but then lost the streaming when the phantom was about 20 m away was out in the woods looking at a forestry site (I'm in central southern British Columbia). No wifi networks there!

I'm not going to shut down this thread yet. I'm going to test again where there is interference, and where I know that I've lost streaming in the past. It might be a week before I get out there and have any new data to add. BUT, I did get a chance to try out the FPV Boost app (Android) with my HTC M8 phone this morning.

I was in probably the absolute best conditions. Up on a small hill above a long agricultural field. I first tested without FPV Boost, and was able to fly the Phantom to 740m distance before I lost the signal. I tried to go further several times, whenever the signal managed to reconnect, but this was the limit. This was farther than I was expecting. There were probably 7-9 satellites. The streaming worked ok the whole time.

I brought the phantom back and set down. I didn't disconnect the wifi connection, but I exited the Vision app. Started up FPV Boost, and let it make its tweaks to the connection with the phantom, and then started up the vision app again. This time I was able to get to 1050 m!! That's a pretty major improvement. Again, the streaming seemed to work fine the whole time - lowest quality settings @ 15fps.

When I brought it back and flew it a bit around the property, I did lose the streaming video a bit (while only 100 m away) when I dropped it down behind a chainlink fence (10 m away). The video didn't completely stop, but it was freezing, then showing a few secs, then freezing again. I could still see the phantom fine, but the fence was obviously interfering. Once I brought it back above the fenceline, the video began streaming smoothly again. Maybe my wifi extender is just very sensitive to interference? I feel that the boost may have helped prevent me from losing the signal entirely. Usually once it starts to stutter, I quickly lose the connection and I can't get it back (black screen). I should have tried again going behind the fence without the boost enabled, but I had to get back to my office and the battery was low at that point. I'll keep that in mind for my next flight session. Maybe an antenna on the wifi extender is the way to go? That should help concentrate the connection and reduce impacts of interference wouldn't it?

I'll report back with new findings in a week.
Dave
2014-10-23
Use props
DiscoDave
lvl.1

Canada

OK. I tried it all again. This time was more representative of a typical attempt to fly the phantom. I tried 3x, doing a full power cycle of phantom, RC, and wifi extender, as well as turning the phone wifi on/off. no luck.

Find below a link to a video I made of the attempt. It's not the greatest, as I was trying to control the phantom etc with one hand while filming the screen of the phone with the other. Fortunately, didn't crash!

http://youtu.be/uw0GVEe7BDs

Not sure if this due to wifi interference and my device is especially susceptible, or something else. It's done this in several locations where there are no other wifi signals, as I mentioned in a previous post. Maybe I need to replace the extender? I purchased in July. Would something like this be under warranty? Should I contact my local rep?

thanks.
dave
2014-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules