3890 9 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Hello all,

I'll be transiting between these two airlines via Switzerland end of this year. I was in Geneva few years back but drone wasn't in my air travel list. I'm just wondering if any of you lovely people whom had recently brought your Mavic Pro onto one of these airlines or transited in Switzerland customs would kindly share your experience? Drone wasn't stated in their official site and seems there's not much I can find on the net.

Earlier my agent helped to call the Swiss Air and I was under the impression the guy handling the call was less helpful, somewhat unfriendly as it seems from my opinion. He just replied "No" to both questions regards to drone check-in and carry-on. And finally he said "No cannot" when he was asked "so no as in cannot bring along?". I was stumped after hearing that. My agent than proceed to email their sales representative to get more clarification awaiting for reply and apparently I got to know both these airlines are under the same management.

My preparations are as below;

1. Carry-on: My DJI bag - Mavic without props but battery attached, RC and Sony Action Cam gear stuffs all batteries depleted < 30%.
2. Carry-on: Wife's hand bag - x2 spare batteries with it's tab taped and depleted < 30% in safety lipo bag.
3. Check-in: All spare props and stuffs you would get from the fly more combo.

TIA!
2017-8-21
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

As a Swiss citizen and resident the only thing I can say is that as most airport , security scanning is done the same way for everyone. There is no company-specifc or additional checks.  
Since I have my Mavic, I only took once a flight with my (complete) Mavic in my carry-on from Geneva airport, with absolutely no comments form the security check.

However, the Geneva Airport FAQ page states that drones are a Airline specific issue.
http://www.gva.ch/en/DesktopDefa ... 213/185_read-21194/

And the Swiss "Hand Baggage" forbidden items list does not list drones nor lipo batteries.
https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/prep ... aggage#t-page=pane3
2017-8-21
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-8-21 11:20
As a Swiss citizen and resident the only thing I can say is that as most airport , security scanning is done the same way for everyone. There is no company-specifc or additional checks.  
Since I have my Mavic, I only took once a flight with my (complete) Mavic in my carry-on from Geneva airport, with absolutely no comments form the security check.

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate them. Beautiful country, love it lots while we were in Saint Cergue.

I'm relieved to know from you about the security scanning as I have quite a short transit time. Now left both the airlines, not being clear about it. I'm hoping to get more insights, probably have to wait for an official reply from them through my agent because I really need to get a hard case if they insisted on checking in the Mavic.
2017-8-21
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-8-21 12:02
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate them. Beautiful country, love it lots while we were in Saint Cergue.

Hi.

I have been flying with Lufthansa in Europe and NEVER had any problems so far.
Carry on luggage for batteries and the drone is a must I would say.

Happy flying
2017-8-21
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

Flybee Posted at 2017-8-21 12:06
Hi.

I have been flying with Lufthansa in Europe and NEVER had any problems so far.

Hello Flybee Sir,

Thanks to you too for the valuable feedback for Lufthansa. Very much appreciated. Since I was made aware that they are under the same management, I'm hoping everything is ok too for Swiss Air.
2017-8-21
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-8-21 12:24
Hello Flybee Sir,

Thanks to you too for the valuable feedback for Lufthansa. Very much appreciated. Since I was made aware that they are under the same management, I'm hoping everything is ok too for Swiss Air.

Hi.

Yes the are in a "joint venture" somehow so it would be a surprise to have different rules.
The only company so far I know about that have other regulations are Emirates.
2017-8-21
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

Flybee Posted at 2017-8-21 23:47
Hi.

Yes the are in a "joint venture" somehow so it would be a surprise to have different rules.

Yes Sir, heard about Emirates too. Quite recently I got to know from friend of a friend traveling with Emirates transiting via Dubai. Not sure though the Mavic needs to be checked-in, I think it's with the DJI bag. Probably the bag goes into check-in luggage and batts carry-on.
2017-8-22
Use props
lightspeed998
New
Flight distance : 20876 ft
United Kingdom

My son and I flew Swiss Air between Manchester and Zurich in July this year without any issues. We has a mavic pro and phantom 3 pro in the checked luggage, then 3x mavic batteries, 2x phantom batteries, 3x phone/tablet power bank batteries and a couple of DSLR batteries all in LIPO bags in the carry on backpacks.
2017-8-24
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

lightspeed998 Posted at 2017-8-24 01:24
My son and I flew Swiss Air between Manchester and Zurich in July this year without any issues. We has a mavic pro and phantom 3 pro in the checked luggage, then 3x mavic batteries, 2x phantom batteries, 3x phone/tablet power bank batteries and a couple of DSLR batteries all in LIPO bags in the carry on backpacks.

Hello lightspeed998,

Thanks for the feedback. I would prefer to carry-on the Mavic instead of check-in from past experience where I arrived in Paris with a badly cracked open new luggage.
2017-8-24
Use props
Raven850
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

He wants to know about taking a drone on a plane, not about taxi services
2021-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules