1600 8 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Last question for tonight (for me it is nighttime).

I would like to film a moving subject (like a train or car) flying sideways. So with the object entering the frame left to right (or vice versa)
I am not sure if the 2 axis gimbal of the Spark will be able to compensate for the tilt of the drone flying sideways. Especially when the gimbal is pointing down at an angle (like between 30° and 45° or even at 85°).

Does anybody have a shot flying sideways and the gimbal pointed somewhat down?
I think I have to fly somewhat faster to keep the train in the frame for some seconds, so no tripod mode / slow flying.

Thanks again!

Peter

2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Don't have any footage to hand but should be fine but remember the gimbal is only active in normal not sport mode so you won't be able to use that. It's not the fastest of drones for tracking vehicles.
2017-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am aware of the sport mode and lack of gimbal, but still I would like to see how it copes with the sideway motion flying somewhat fast in 'P' mode.
Since the drone is tilting while flying sideways and there is no gimbal y- axis to compensate for that (when the gimbal is pointing down).
Optical stabilization might do the trick, but I am curious if it does.
2017-8-21
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

There are a sideways flying shots in that video I posted although not too many and not very long because the spark doesn't do fast enough in standard mode.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-109732-1-1.html
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-21 13:00
I am aware of the sport mode and lack of gimbal, but still I would like to see how it copes with the sideway motion flying somewhat fast in 'P' mode.
Since the drone is tilting while flying sideways and there is no gimbal y- axis to compensate for that (when the gimbal is pointing down).
Optical stabilization might do the trick, but I am curious if it does.

There is gimbal in X&Y - it's Z that is missing (assuming we are calling roll X, pitch Y and yaw Z like you would on a traditional aircraft). It's roll (x) that is critical in this manouvere. To track something below you whilst travelling sideways the pitch is going to be pointing down, the roll compensating for the drone being at a sideways angle and the yaw not doing an awful lot.
2017-8-21
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

someone posted on the dji owners fb group about doing high speed shots in sport mode flying backwards to keep the props out of the shot.  you can also squeeze a few more mph out in p mode flying diagonal, around 17-18mph full stick in the corner.  can do around 33-34mph in sport mode this way as well.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Ace Flysome
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37671 ft
United States

One option is also to turn off obstacle avoidance (which won't be of any help flying sideways anyway) it apparently speeds up the drone in standard mode. I haven't tried it myself but found a youtube video that showed it basically doubled the speed of the drone. The gimbal was still able to compensate for the movement of the drone at that speed. which it can't do in sport mode. give that a try and let us know how it worked for you.
2017-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Convert Posted at 2017-8-21 13:36
There is gimbal in X&Y - it's Z that is missing (assuming we are calling roll X, pitch Y and yaw Z like you would on a traditional aircraft). It's roll (x) that is critical in this manouvere. To track something below you whilst travelling sideways the pitch is going to be pointing down, the roll compensating for the drone being at a sideways angle and the yaw not doing an awful lot.

True, Z axis it must be.
2017-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ace Flysome Posted at 2017-8-21 16:12
One option is also to turn off obstacle avoidance (which won't be of any help flying sideways anyway) it apparently speeds up the drone in standard mode. I haven't tried it myself but found a youtube video that showed it basically doubled the speed of the drone. The gimbal was still able to compensate for the movement of the drone at that speed. which it can't do in sport mode. give that a try and let us know how it worked for you.

Thanks for the tip. As soon as I buy a drone I will try that.
Not sure if the shot is going to work though, but I will for sure try.
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules