Blade Stuck on Phantom 2
2270 18 2015-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arrowflinger80
New

United States

Hi Folks,

I am new to this game and just recently took my Phantom 2 on its first three flights and all went well until the final landing. As I was attempting to shut down the blades the copter tipped onto its side and one of the blades dug into the ground and broke.

This should not be a big deal as I have replacement blades. The issue arrose when I found that the blade was stuck. I can turn the blade by grasping the motor but it turns very hard and does not loosen from the spindle.

Hoping I dont have to replace the motor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You!

2015-3-29
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Didn't you get a small wrench to hold the motor from turning?  It fits over the lugs on the top of the motor.
2015-3-29
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

I did. That does not help. The motor does not turn when I am attempting to take the blade off. The blade turns but does not loosen up.
2015-3-29
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

Gerry . . . I appreciate any input you have! Thank You!
2015-3-29
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Perhaps you are turning it the wrong way!
2015-3-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

arrowflinger80 Posted at 2015-3-30 07:58
I did. That does not help. The motor does not turn when I am attempting to take the blade off. The b ...

the silver tipped capped blades turn one way and the black tipped capped blades turn the other way,
Be certain you are turning the blades in the correct direction while holding the motor with the wrench, the opposing blade if not broke off will give you the indication of the turning direction. One direction is lock and the other is unlock with a symbol on the blade.
2015-3-29
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

When I first got my Phantom, mine did the same thing.  Once I opened it up and took the motor out, the little c-clamp holding it down had come off and stuck to the inside of the motor. Perhaps when the blade hit the ground, the little c-clamp popped off and is now stuck in there.
2015-3-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-3-30 08:07
When I first got my Phantom, mine did the same thing.  Once I opened it up and took the motor out, t ...

Interesting find, will have to file that one just in case, thanks for sharing.
2015-3-29
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

arrowflinger80 Posted at 2015-3-30 08:04
Gerry . . . I appreciate any input you have! Thank You!

Well, if you have 1 blade already broken, you can cut the plastic off the screw insert inside the blade and use the wrench you got with it to hold the motor and pliers to turn off the insert.  Silver tipped ones turn counter clockwise as you are looking at it from the top.
2015-3-29
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Arrow, When I first received mine I flipped it over when trying to shutdown also.  I now shutdown the left stick only going straight back.  Before it was with both of the sticks going down and to the inside.  That caused it to flip.
2015-3-29
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-30 08:05
the silver tipped capped blades turn one way and the black tipped capped blades turn the other way, ...

Thanks Man! I appreciate you input. I will give that a try and see what happens. I know I am spinning it in the right direction.

I will let you know how it goes!
2015-3-30
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

Quick Update

I was able to remove the blade from the copter. Unfortunately I had to cut the plastic away from the metal sheath that screws onto the motor.

When the blade stuck in the ground it did so with such force that the sheath screwed do over the shaft of the motor. I have tried about everything to get it to screw off of the shaft.

Looks like I will have to purchase a new motor.

How much will this run me?
2015-4-5
Use props
ceilingtilemake
lvl.2

United States

arrowflinger80 Posted at 2015-4-5 22:42
Quick Update

I was able to remove the blade from the copter. Unfortunately I had to cut the plastic ...

Less than $25 for new one. You need experience in soldering and you will be working on a very small circuit board. Make sure you order the right motor and right direction.
2015-4-5
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

Thank you for the quick response. Can they be ordered right from the DJI website?
2015-4-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

arrowflinger80 Posted at 2015-4-5 22:51
Thank you for the quick response. Can they be ordered right from the DJI website?

Pretty sure you cannot order internals per se from DJI, I have looked before but found nothing.
Best to take motor out and verify if it is 2212 or 2312, phantomhelp.com has some links under replacement parts I believe to motors, ESC's etc. but any good quad shop could help you out as well..
There are Counterclockwise motors (Silver top) and Clockwise Motors (Black top).,.,be sure to order the correct one!
2015-4-5
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

2015-4-5
Use props
arrowflinger80
New

United States

I have attached a picture of the bad peg and a good peg.

blade.jpg
2015-4-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

arrowflinger80 Posted at 2015-4-5 23:17
I have attached a picture of the bad peg and a good peg.

Go here on Phatomhelp.com as suggested...You need the CW Motor...click on the link!

AND YOU MUST BE SURE IF YOUR MOTOR IS A 2212 OR 2312!...THEY MUST MATCH!!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/#ReplacementParts
2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
2015-4-5
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Contact any repair facility. You can purchase motors from those places. I use www.uavdirect.com  like someone stated, be careful as you need skills to solder them properly or you can run into trouble.
2015-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules