Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hot off the press, Spark firmware
12Next >
3532 73 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's not often that a firmware update hits the headlines:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41011659
2017-8-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think i will pass on this update and just keep flying in airplane mode. I don't like any telling me, do this or else....
2017-8-22
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-22 09:10
I think i will pass on this update and just keep flying in airplane mode. I don't like any telling me, do this or else....

In defense of DJI (and why you may want to consider doing the upgrade):

IF this release is meant to deal with the drops (which DJI has never officially acknowledged, but that's another topic), then forcing an update to address the safety of the craft and public is the right approach.

Lot's of supposition in my comment, but I'd do the update to avoid the fear/anxiety of losing the craft to a drop.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think there was something wrong with spark and they have found the problem but not going to admit to this, so for safety reasons they have waved the big stick , it's a funny way of going about things but no unusual for dji, new Mavic firmware out today is not compulsory, so I think it was and is a real issue with spark.
2017-8-22
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

After the update you can't go back...
There is no downgrade firmware!...
2017-8-22
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I completed the upgrade as I felt it needed to be done.  DJI has forced a mandatory upgrade for a reason.  As pointed out in some of the post (here and other post); dji has found a major issue which maybe related to Spark dropping for no reason.  this can have major affects to the ac, pilot, buildings, others .. ETC.

2017-8-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:22
I think there was something wrong with spark and they have found the problem but not going to admit to this, so for safety reasons they have waved the big stick , it's a funny way of going about things but no unusual for dji, new Mavic firmware out today is not compulsory, so I think it was and is a real issue with spark.

If that's the case then dji should really pay for new spark for all the poor schmucks out there who had there spark drop like a rock from the sky. By waving there big stick is almost an admittion of guilt...come on DJI, pay up cause the truth will eventually come out, it always does....
2017-8-22
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

Whats the big deal ?!

Some people act like they are novelty or something . Firs buy a drone , than whine about update, and if it at last get out  , they want it to stay defective just because they don't like some one to order them . wow..

I am happy it get solved
I don't see need to revert .
I did update and are even more confident to fly it with a smile on my face .
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-22 10:16
If that's the case then dji should really pay for new spark for all the poor schmucks out there who had there spark drop like a rock from the sky. By waving there big stick is almost an admittion of guilt...come on DJI, pay up cause the truth will eventually come out, it always does....

I fully endorse that.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-22 10:17
Whats the big deal ?!

Some people act like they are novelty or something . Firs buy a drone , than whine about update, and if it at last get out  , they want it to stay defective just because they don't like some one to order them . wow..

I imagine people having their Spark fell out of the sky being angry with DJI.
After all they seem to have missed a or some software issue(s).
That is understandable, as no software is without bugs. That is (sadly) close to impossible with humans writing it.
But it of course does depend on how the follow up is from DJI support on these issues (it seems like users complain here but not often come back when the issue is resolved).
If the support is decent, it is fine with me and I am happy with a regular update procedure.

2017-8-22
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

Well, last year I returned two Samsung Galaxy Note 7. First one before the recall, when it looked like only the 1st batch had problems, the second one after the recall started.
While mandatory firmware updates and recalls are bad, I imagine a blowing phone or a drone falling and hurting somebody or destroying property is way less desirable
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-22 12:10
Well, last year I returned two Samsung Galaxy Note 7. First one before the recall, when it looked like only the 1st batch had problems, the second one after the recall started.
While mandatory firmware updates and recalls are bad, I imagine a blowing phone or a drone falling and hurting somebody or destroying property is way less desirable

That is true indeed.
I do however like to keep my devices up to date.
All of them.
And my drone to come won't be an exception.
2017-8-22
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These Forums Like:
"WHERE IS THE FIX DJI!!!!!!"
update arrives
"STUFF YOU DJI I AM NOT UPDATING!!!!!"

You guys really do amaze me at times.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hahahahahaha. Indeed it is amazing.
2017-8-22
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

LOL, really some stuff is hilarious! 200 threads asking for new firmware, a fix, etc, and when DJI have a firmware available, "no %$% , I am not going to apply". Anyways, I really don't care if they say , you need to apply by tomorrow , or SAPRK is not going to fly. If they fix most likely a major issue, I am all forward. I am most of the time "afraid" to fly the bird when I see someone, or a car near by, and have the bird drop and hit someone or someone's property, if that happens here , I can start selling my soul to pay all the lawyers.

So, if they fix the major drop issue, kudos to DJI. I care less for palm control, I always use the remote, I never fly indoors, even because, most of the time is not allowed.
2017-8-22
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1552 ft
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-22 09:10

That's a stupid and dangerous decision. What if your drone falls straight into someone's head because you "don't like people telling you what to do"? How old are you, 11?

Update your freaking drone for God's sake.
2017-8-22
Use props
LeeWireless
lvl.4
United States

felipaopldji Posted at 2017-8-22 16:06
That's a stupid and dangerous decision. What if your drone falls straight into someone's head because you "don't like people telling you what to do"? How old are you, 11?

Best reply I've seen all day......    
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't think it's about updating, there are many here across the forums who have a particular FW which they are happy with.
I've seen it to often around here and you will see yourself over the coming weeks, many will be here complaining about the new firmware and how it has bricked their drone or something is no working as it used to.
Yes if this is a compulsory update, then dji shouldn't be so vague, when telling customers who paid a lot of money why they must update or render their Drone useless. There is nothing wrong in looking for the correct information.
I myself have always updated and always will, sometimes it gets better but not always, but for me I like to be on the latest firmware, but I do understand from being around here others need to be able to roll back a FW that suited them,  so spare a thought because someday you might just want to roll back and suddenly find you can't , and then you may ask the question what did I pay for here.
Fly safe...
2017-8-22
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 16:20
I don't think it's about updating, there are many here across the forums who have a particular FW which they are happy with.
I've seen it to often around here and you will see yourself over the coming weeks, many will be here complaining about the new firmware and how it has bricked their drone or something is no working as it used to.
Yes if this is a compulsory update, then dji shouldn't be so vague, when telling customers who paid a lot of money why they must update or render their Drone useless. There is nothing wrong in looking for the correct information.

It's all about updating. If you look back at this same forum a few days ago, there's quite a few instances where people were complaining about Sparks falling out of the sky after 50, 60 hours of smooth sailing and absolutely no issues. Then suddenly, it happened.

I completely understand the disappointment with DJI in regards to why this is a compulsory update, but the fact that it *is* compulsory speaks for itself, there's no need to get all "touchy" just because the company decided to not explain in detail what was fixed or not. Common sense is enough to realize that this firmware is, before anything, a safety measure that must be taken by anyone who owns this thing.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Let those who cheer the updating do the updating. They are happy to do so. For those who are happy with the nonproblem of current firmware just do not update the Djo Go 4 and fly in airplane mode. I have tested. You are not grounded. Let the beta testers do their job. Wait until the smoke is cleared the make your decision.
2017-8-22
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Australia

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 16:58
Let those who cheer the updating do the updating. They are happy to do so. For those who are happy with the nonproblem of current firmware just do not update the Djo Go 4 and fly in airplane mode. I have tested. You are not grounded. Let the beta testers do their job. Wait until the smoke is cleared the make your decision.

Jesus Christ.
2017-8-22
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

The mandatory part of this upgrade tells us that thy found something, fixed it and consider it a must.

I am a big fan of ... if it ain't broken, don't fix it. But in this case something is broken... we re not talking  minor glitch with some non critical cool  feature like lift your pinky to make spark dance here.

Mine performed flawlessly for 33 flights up to 4000'  then it disappeared on flight 34. I waist that mandatory update came out a week ago....
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Do not buy another Spark then.
2017-8-22
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:22

sometimes it isn't a conspiracy, sometimes it's just what it appears, a way to improve flight safety.  My guess is someone found a way to exceed the flight safety parameters and they are grounding the aircraft until the hole is plugged.
2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Then why don't just say so. "This firmware is for protect Spark from security breeach". I will do update immediately.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

phatav8r60 Posted at 2017-8-22 21:28
sometimes it isn't a conspiracy, sometimes it's just what it appears, a way to improve flight safety.  My guess is someone found a way to exceed the flight safety parameters and they are grounding the aircraft until the hole is plugged.

I have no doubt your right, my point was to try understand why some particularly those who have been dealing with firmware updates for many years maybe miffed by being told they must update without proper explanation, after all these people have shelled out a lot of money to own this product, so give them some respect because they have experience and know what they are talking about.

Fly safe...
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

If I wanted to wait and see if the new FW contains major bugs, I would just wait a couple of days and don't fly.
Do the update some days later when the big issues will have surfaced.

But I certainly would not go into airplane mode and hack my way around a mandatory update.
The damage caused in a possible crash is totally on you.

You will have a serious problem when you fly into somebody and cause permanent injury.
I have yet to find an insurance covering such stupidity.

So, I would use my common sense and wait for some days if I like a certain version of your firmware and want to avoid new issues

2017-8-23
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Australia

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-22 23:25
Then why don't just say so. "This firmware is for protect Spark from security breeach". I will do update immediately.

So you literally won't update it because DJI was unable to "please you" with the firmware notes? Haha.
2017-8-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't fly over peoples heads, if this is something that concerns you then you should thumb thru the owners manual for the first time....
2017-8-23
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-23 02:51
I don't fly over peoples heads, if this is something that concerns you then you should thumb thru the owners manual for the first time....

Are you particularly forgetting about possible fly aways? If you're not in control of the damn thing, it has the potential to fall anywhere, so unless you're flying in the middle of a desert or a big ass field, yes, it's a problem.

But you know what, don't do it then. Your risk, not mine.
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-23 02:51

When you don't have controle anymore due to this 'bug' we don't know about, you can't be sure it won't fly into somebody or something and cause damage.
Sure if you only fly in a location with no property and no people in the next 5 km or so.

So it is just an advice from my side, we have our own ability (and responsibility) to choose.
2017-8-23
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

You might probably hit someone's head flying new firmware that you have never flown with while hit nothing with 0500 firmware that you have been flying for sometime without any problem. It has been ok for very long time to wait and see. Why rushing so hard? Moreover you keep talking about flying away and falling down. You can not be certain that it will not occur in new firmware. DJI proves this will always happen. They have been making firmware and hardware for very long time and still can make a flyaway drone for you.
2017-8-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-23 03:25
When you don't have controle anymore due to this 'bug' we don't know about, you can't be sure it won't fly into somebody or something and cause damage.
Sure if you only fly in a location with no property and no people in the next 5 km or so.

I believe the "bug" you guys speak of is related to a power loss causing the spark to drop from the sky, not fly away. Please don't change the wording to justify your argument... And don't fly over crowds!!
2017-8-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-23 03:34
I believe the "bug" you guys speak of is related to a power loss causing the spark to drop from the sky, not fly away. Please don't change the wording to justify your argument... And don't fly over crowds!!

And read the manual!!!
2017-8-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-23 03:30
You might probably hit someone's head flying new firmware that you have never flown with while hit nothing with 0500 firmware that you have been flying for sometime without any problem. It has been ok for very long time to wait and see. Why rushing so hard? Moreover you keep talking about flying away and falling down. You can not be certain that it will not occur in new firmware. DJI proves this will always happen. They have been making firmware and hardware for very long time and still can make a flyaway drone for you.

If you notice, many on this thread are new to DJI's world with the spark being there first quad and just can't understand why im not jumping on this new firmware. For those of us that have been here for a few years understand why. Not all new firmware updates are upgrades, sometimes they should be considered "downgrades" i could give at least 4 examples but I've already typed more than i wanted to....
2017-8-23
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

DJI is bricking already sold products. Customer its owner of a copter, not DJI.

DJI should get a sales ban from US and UE for that.

Of course in many countries a bricking a device like that will be a basis for return.
2017-8-23
Use props
felipaopldji
lvl.1
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-23 07:26
If you notice, many on this thread are new to DJI's world with the spark being there first quad and just can't understand why im not jumping on this new firmware. For those of us that have been here for a few years understand why. Not all new firmware updates are upgrades, sometimes they should be considered "downgrades" i could give at least 4 examples but I've already typed more than i wanted to....

Nobody needs to be a drone owner for several years to understand the basic message that DJI is trying to send here - if the freaking firmware is mandatory there's a very good chance of it meaning a fix for a potential big issue, like the several reports of drones falling out of the sky around here.

It's "experienced" people like you that contribute for the growing bad rep linked to casual drone pilots around the globe.

Safety should be paramount, and you need to have a really bad mix of stubborness and stupidity to not realize that this is the case here.
2017-8-23
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Suite yourself.
2017-8-23
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Go ahead .... make your days.
2017-8-23
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Trying to avoid the hostilities:

To those who find it offensive that you are forced to adopt the update or be grounded, a question:  If DJI were to come out and say "Hey guys, we've found a real serious flaw that can cause loss of craft or worse, loss of property or injury...  you need to do this update", would you be less offended?

DJI has of course not stated any such thing.  I am supposing that this is the company motivation for the update.  I'm personally not disturbed by "update or be grounded", I'm more disturbed by the obscure (non-direct) communications from DJI.
2017-8-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules