Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disable USB charging?
12Next >
31155 47 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

Hi team!

Probably an old question. :-)

My remote charges my phone which means the remote battery drains quickly.
Is there any way to disable USB charing on an Android phone? It seems not from what I can find on the Internet.

However, another option is maybe to use an USB cable that does not allow (provide) charging. Does that exist? Does it work?

Regards
Georg
2017-8-22
Use props
Dread-Pirate-Ro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same question but, I can put up with it for now.
2017-8-22
Use props
Airloop
New
Flight distance : 11542 ft
United States

Use the connection in the bottom of the controller instead of the side. The bottom connection still charges but it is only a very slow trickle charge.
2017-8-22
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

Airloop Posted at 2017-8-22 14:13
Use the connection in the bottom of the controller instead of the side. The bottom connection still charges but it is only a very slow trickle charge.

Cool. Can I use the USB-to-micro-USB cable that is meant for charging the remote?
2017-8-22
Use props
Dread-Pirate-Ro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

Airloop Posted at 2017-8-22 14:13

Is there anyway to completely stop it from charging even from the bottom usb?
2017-8-22
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

There's a app for it but the device need to be rooted.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

For now, Mavic Pro's RC might charge the Android device, there is no option to disable it on the DJI GO 4 app. We had forwarded the users need of charging and not charging the RC during flight. Hope our engineers find a balance for this case. Thanks for your attention.
2017-8-22
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-22 20:59
For now, Mavic Pro's RC might charge the Android device, there is no option to disable it on the DJI GO 4 app. We had forwarded the users need of charging and not charging the RC during flight. Hope our engineers find a balance for this case. Thanks for your attention.

thanks, i would also like a toggle for charging on and off in app (for both android and iOS) as well.. when i plug in devices, i do find sometimes they boith fighting each other a bit and just end up draining each other faster.  depends on the device, like my iPad mini, no way in hell the RC has any chance of even trickle charging my iPads, so ends up draining RC down unnecessarily just trying....

i dont know if the reason power output is because of older OTG standard being used or not.. just it would be nice to have the option if it is possible.  
2017-8-22
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Have you tried pulling down the top-curtain (or what ever the pulldown is called) on your Android device after connecting it to Mavic?
Usually this gives you a choice of different usb-modes like enabling/disabling charging?...

I haven't tested this myself. I kind of see it as a nice feature that the remote helps keeping my phone charged. Without that help I'm not sure I could fly with all my three Mavic batteries without charging my phone at some point in between. But now the phone ain't a problem, and remote still has enough power for three flights (and probably four if I had another Mavic battery).
2017-8-22
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-8-22 22:09
Have you tried pulling down the top-curtain (or what ever the pulldown is called) on your Android device after connecting it to Mavic?
Usually this gives you a choice of different usb-modes like enabling/disabling charging?...

The USB option menue in Android does not provide the option NOT to charge. You can pick other options but Android will always charge your phone if it can. No way to turn that off unless you root your phone and download a specific app.

I think the solution will have to be on the DJI side as DJI Thor states above. Being able to disrupt charging from DJI GO 4.
2017-8-22
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-8-22 22:09

Hello there,
It's not selectable, the options are greyed out. Even if it's selectable, the charging will still occur.
The phone despite being charged by the RC, is still draining although slowly. It's similar to plugging the phone into a laptop's USB2 500mA at the same playing extensive games. The phone battery level will still drop due to the workload and heat. We usually try not to use the phone extensively, put in airplane mode or best switch them off while charging on a 500mA port.

Unfortunately there's no way to overcome this (Edited: Not even DJI Android devs can do anything) unless the phone is rooted. I have the USB charging disabled, 3 batts around 20mins+ (AC 30% at landing, I usually don't fly far) flight time each and the RC batt level last I recall dropped to 74% from 100. Without disabling the USB charge, IIRC it's at around 25%. Based on this, it would be risky for those who likes to fly far especially on the 3rd battery worst dependent on the smart return home.

From my 2cents, if you guys have a phone/tablet that's long out of warranty, no harm rooting them. It's easily done, fast few mins job depending on your device model and most of all completely safe. Then download the free app from the store to disable the charging. If you want to go crazy like me, spend more time on the phone like flashing kernels/recoveries/roms/undervolting etc. My phone can still last the full day after flying 3batts.
2017-8-22
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

george_007 Posted at 2017-8-22 14:28
Cool. Can I use the USB-to-micro-USB cable that is meant for charging the remote?

Dear george_007

Just to remind: the USB cable tends to be longer than the side one. It should affect stability of the app or functioning of all features.
Cheers.
2017-8-23
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

May I suggest you to connect your mobile device to left usb port and powerbank to buttom usb port for now.
2017-8-23
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

I believe that according to the manual you can't charge your RC via the bottom USB so I don't think that connecting a power bank to it will make a difference.

Am I right?
2017-8-23
Use props
Bitmaster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5596070 ft
Netherlands

It helps to start flying with your phone 100% charged. That way, the RC only charges your phone for the power it uses while flying. If necessary, you could use a powerbank to arrive fully charged at your destination, but that may also be a bit of a hassle (only worth it if the RC discharge is really a problem for you).
2018-2-10
Use props
Gigabello
New

Italy

I guess DJI should enable this feature in next update, it's very helpful in plus I think the battery of remote can live longer if doesn't charge smartphone each time it's connected.
2018-3-11
Use props
djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95807 ft
Canada

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-8-22 16:05

OK,sorry for a dumb question  from a non-computer programmer.....what does 'rooted' mean in this regard?
I can't believe there has not been a simple app developed for this problem.  I'm not sure where or how others use their drone, but from my phone in my field work, the battery on the controller is drained quite quickly trying to keep the phone charged....really dumb and it would seem (from a non-programmer perspective), a rather simple fix.

Thanks
GS
2018-6-1
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml Posted at 2018-6-1 17:18
OK,sorry for a dumb question  from a non-computer programmer.....what does 'rooted' mean in this regard?
I can't believe there has not been a simple app developed for this problem.  I'm not sure where or how others use their drone, but from my phone in my field work, the battery on the controller is drained quite quickly trying to keep the phone charged....really dumb and it would seem (from a non-programmer perspective), a rather simple fix.

Rooting is a process that allows you to attain root access to the Android operating system code (the equivalent term for Apple devices is jailbreaking). It gives you privileges to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn’t normally allow you to
2018-6-1
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-1 17:28
Rooting is a process that allows you to attain root access to the Android operating system code (the equivalent term for Apple devices is jailbreaking). It gives you privileges to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn’t normally allow you to

What he said!
2018-6-2
Use props
djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95807 ft
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-1 17:28
Rooting is a process that allows you to attain root access to the Android operating system code (the equivalent term for Apple devices is jailbreaking). It gives you privileges to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn’t normally allow you to

OK...thanks a lot.  Probably something I should stay away from -sounds  dangerous  given I didn't even know what it was!!
2018-6-6
Use props
wolframmitbach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 157379 ft
Austria

I would ask DJ Thor to give us an update regarding this issue. He promised 1 1/2 years ago to forward the problem to the technical people. Obviously the problem persists until now. Please help.
2018-12-22
Use props
djiuser_nwuNt80T0qou
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15889 ft

Hungary

I am quite new to this but it seems my RC controller battery level goes down quite the same as the drone battery. I understand it is bc of the usb charging thing but I was wondering maybe that fast bc of my phone can have the fast charge option? I think I cannot turn fast charge off. P20 pro. Anyway. How long your rc battery can last? Is the lower usb plug really different that much? Thanks.
2018-12-23
Use props
Kozjegyzo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7999 ft
Hungary

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-8-22 16:05

Please link the app. I rooted my phone just to get the charging to stop. On my Mavic it ain't an issue, but on the Osmo Pocket this makes the charge level drop like a rock
2018-12-24
Use props
mmoci
lvl.1

Croatia

Is there any news on this? Any comments from DJI?
2019-1-24
Use props
djiuser_2frVggtucB6h
New
Germany

Oh yes... on the Osmo Pocket it really is an issue. My phone quick charges from the Osmo. In 15 minutes the Osmo is down to 50%. We have so much technology and development here... but this side effect is a major thing restricting usability. Please find a solution asap.
2019-2-5
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

I use the bottom and get a slow charge... I though about a battery pack plugged into the side, but even after two full battery flights the controller is still 60 to 70%.... maybe in the extreme cold it is more of an issue, don't have that problem here in TX ;)
2019-2-6
Use props
djiuser_YVFCAOW0p13d
New
Malaysia

Hello. This problem still occur with my mavic pro and huawei mate 20 x. Android pie 9.0. I use side and bottom both is still charging my phone. There an a option in drop down bars to choose charge or transfer file. Etc. Whichever I choose it will change back to charging mood. Please help
2019-3-8
Use props
djiuser_u0JUQFE0A67J
New
United States

Am I missing something here? I just saw a YouTube video, admittedly older (August 2018), where the host clearly showed an option to disable the charging from the controller to the device. This is displayed at 2:35 in the video.

I cant post links but the channel is "Ed Ricker" and the video title is "One week with the Mavic 2 Zoom - What I Learned"

Now to be clear, I am using the large USB port on the underside of the controller so I'm not sure that makes a difference but where did this option go??!!??
2019-3-18
Use props
zigggy1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331 ft
United States

I have an S8 and my controller would be drained to near nothing while my S8 stayed 100% after one Mavic battery flight. After searching for solutions and fixes or how to root my phone to disable USB charging I stumbled upon a way to disable my USB charging on my unrooted S8 phone. This may not work for all android phones but it worked for me. All I had to do was punch up my phone pad and dial ##DATA# (##3282#). This opened a list of hidden settings to be viewed and/or edited. To edit these setting you will have to enter a six digit MLS PIN number. Mine was '000000' (default for some android phones from what I've read) otherwise you can obtain your MLS PIN number for your phone by contacting your carrier (which could be hit or miss depending on how nice they are). Once the MLS PIN number is entered you can go to the USB Charging setting in the list and disable it. My phone no longer charges from the controller and I was able to get all three of my Mavic battery flights in with 40% -45% battery left on controller and phone when done. You will need to re-enable the USB Charge setting before you charge your phone even if you charge wirelessly like I do. But it's so easy to do IF you have your MLS six digit PIN. Hope this helps some people.
2019-7-8
Use props
crosswired
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264380 ft
Ireland

Theres a option in 'Developer option' called 'Default USB configuration' which allows to change USB modes

2019-7-12
Use props
zigggy1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331 ft
United States

crosswired Posted at 7-12 00:04
Theres a option in 'Developer option' called 'Default USB configuration' which allows to change USB modes
[view_image]
[view_image]

Yes you can change the USB configuration but you can NOT turn off USB charging. You phone will continue to charge using any one of those options.
2019-7-18
Use props
Levreault
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489111 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-22 20:59
For now, Mavic Pro's RC might charge the Android device, there is no option to disable it on the DJI GO 4 app. We had forwarded the users need of charging and not charging the RC during flight. Hope our engineers find a balance for this case. Thanks for your attention.

More than two years later, Is there still not a way to stop the controller from charging the phone. A phone will literally last 6++ hrs. A controller, 1 hr. I fully charged my controller, flew around the living room for 10 mins total, and went thru the settings on the quad, and now my controller is at 83%.

With my Phantom 3 Pro, which I sold to get a Mavic 2 Pro, my controller battery would last at least 9 drone batteries worth of flights. (3 x 3 batteries of flights)

If my controller battery can't last long enough to go thru the 3 batteries that I have for my Mavic, that's a huge problem.
2019-11-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Levreault Posted at 11-23 16:53
More than two years later, Is there still not a way to stop the controller from charging the phone. A phone will literally last 6++ hrs. A controller, 1 hr. I fully charged my controller, flew around the living room for 10 mins total, and went thru the settings on the quad, and now my controller is at 83%.

With my Phantom 3 Pro, which I sold to get a Mavic 2 Pro, my controller battery would last at least 9 drone batteries worth of flights. (3 x 3 batteries of flights)

Hi there, charging the Android device on Mavic 2 Pro controller is not able to disable. As it needs a certain amount of current to maintain the communication between the controller and mobile device. Thank you for your understanding.
2019-11-25
Use props
Inde333
New
Japan

10 milliamps, it's absolutely nothing and works perfectly with all devices. Resistor 39 Om.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6lmrI0_RE
20200625_204127.jpg
20200625_204139.jpg
20200625_204215.jpg
2020-6-25
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Inde333 if that is in the +5v wire I tried something similar but was using a Fluke 87 meter and a decade box. The analogue display/barchart went crazy once the resistance was over, from memory, a pretty low single digit ohm resistance. If you have access to one it might be an idea to put an oscilliscope across the resistor to see if there are any peculiar voltages being applied
2020-6-25
Use props
Inde333
New
Japan

I don't know what's going on there, but all the options I found on the internet don't work for me. Huawei will not connect unless there is a full USB pinout. It works with a resistor and the consumption from the control is only 10 mA, which means that charging is not performed.
For now, I also don't want to root my tablet.
2020-6-26
Use props
Inde333
New
Japan

Maybe it also fits larger resistor, I did not try, no have many time. wonder where the border is?
2020-6-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Inde333 Posted at 6-26 02:47
Maybe it also fits larger resistor, I did not try, no have many time. wonder where the border is?

From memory I went up to a couple of 100 ohm on the decade box and still saw the same thing. Oddly if I severed the -ve the current in the +5V did not drop so I guess it was dumping current down the signal -ve wire or perhaps the sheath. But what ever was happening I wasn't happy messing with it for any extended period of time.
Realistically what's going on has to be known to USB/Android people but it seems that they have either have not been asked or don't like divulging the info.
2020-6-26
Use props
MontaukDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

Inde333 Posted at 6-25 11:16
10 milliamps, it's absolutely nothing and works perfectly with all devices. Resistor 39 Om.
[view_image][view_image][view_image]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6lmrI0_RE

I'm flying the Mavic Mini and I wound up using a 47 Ohm resistor (Yellow, Purple, Black bands) + 10 Ohm (Brown, Black, Black bands) in the Red ( +V) wire of an OTG cable and saw a drop from 70~90mA current down to 10~15mA  ( referencing the red 15 scale at 150mA range on meter ), which as Inde333 points out is really next to nothing.

Incidentally, while researching a solution to this issue I saw lots of posts referring to using 390-470 Ohm resistors in the Red or Black wire, but I could NOT get the mobile device to recognize the RC was connected with any more than 57 Ohms of resistance ( using a 47 Ohm + 10 Ohm as mentioned above. )

Also wanted to mention:
  • Tried using MM controller and OTG cable with Red wire clipped: Android device would not recognize controller being connected
  • Tried using cable with Micro-B end  connected to MM controller: again, Android device would not recognize controller being connected
  • Tried using the recommended 470 Ohm resistor in the Black ( ground ) wire: still, Android device would not recognize controller being connected

2020-11-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

In the Fly App for the Air 2 and Mini there is a toggle in the setting to turn on phone charging which as to be done each time the controller is started.  It sounds like it is a hardware design.  Some circuits for USB data that are older designs require power from the device to active or power passthrough to activate.  
2020-11-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules