Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-3 09:40
In the Fly App for the Air 2 and Mini there is a toggle in the setting to turn on phone charging which as to be done each time the controller is started.  It sounds like it is a hardware design.  Some circuits for usb data that are older designs require power from the device to active or power passthrough to activate.

Where is that? I don't see it.
2020-11-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 11-3 07:34
I'm flying the Mavic Mini and I wound up using a 47 Ohm resistor (Yellow, Purple, Black bands) in the Red ( +V) wire and saw a drop from 70~90mA current down to 10~15mA  ( referencing the red 15 scale at 150mA range on meter ), which as Inde333 points out is really next to nothing.

[view_image]

I did the same tests many months ago and reported a different result. My limit was 5 Ohms for the Samsung S6, not very helpful. But I am not sure if that was in this forum.
2020-11-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-3 09:40
In the Fly App for the Air 2 and Mini there is a toggle in the setting to turn on phone charging which as to be done each time the controller is started.  It sounds like it is a hardware design.  Some circuits for usb data that are older designs require power from the device to active or power passthrough to activate.

Ditto Gary's question, where are you seeing that switch?
Also, in what firmware version are you seeing it?
Thanks
2020-11-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Here is a link to forum article: Charging phone from controller

For the iPhone or iPad the toggle is in the Setting tab under remote or controller.  It is below the signal strength meter.

Android devices cannot shut off charging as it is a current requirement of the USB/USB C protocol.  It is a hardware limitation/requirment.  While, Apple devices Lightning Port does not require a current passthrough to enable data transfer.

Modifing the USB may cause Android devices to randomly shutoff the USB interface.  Even if it os on the cable side it is a requirment of the USB protocol and there maybe unforseen consequences.

This is not a DJI design or feature.  It is hardware dependency of the the attached device.

2020-11-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes we already know that the iPhone does not draw as much power. It is even in the drone specs.
2020-11-3
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 11-3 07:34
I'm flying the Mavic Mini and I wound up using a 47 Ohm resistor (Yellow, Purple, Black bands) + 10 Ohm (Brown, Black, Black bands) in the Red ( +V) wire of an OTG cable and saw a drop from 70~90mA current down to 10~15mA  ( referencing the red 15 scale at 150mA range on meter ), which as Inde333 points out is really next to nothing.

[view_image]

I just finished flying SIX (6) Batteries and both my Samsung Galaxy S4 is at 64% battery remaining, and the MM Controller just had the 3rd LED start flashing ( indicating =< 63% battery remaining )... SO, it appears the discharge rates between THESE 2 devices is now in almost perfect sync!!  Thanks to everyone who posted and helped me reach this relatively simple solution.
2020-11-11
Use props
ctaranto
lvl.2
United States

I have been searching for a (an elegant) solution for this without cutting wires or adding power bricks to my rig.  Recently getting a new tablet to run Dronelink (Galaxy Tab S6), I figured out a solution.  Unfortunately, all software solutions require root on the Android device.  For me, it's not a big deal as I root all my devices as soon as I get them.

• Root the device using Magisk.  The way to root each devices varies, so look up the way to root your device with Magisk and follow the instructions.  I suggest not going to Android 11 for drone flight (at this time).  I have heard of issues with various flight apps using Android 11.  I updated my S6 to the latest Android 10 before rooting.
  • After rooting, install Magisk Manager.  This will allow you to manage apps that need root permissions.  More importantly, it will allow you to install the app that allows fine control of the charging states.
  • In Magisk Manager, install Advanced Charging Controller (acc).  This is where the magic happens.
  • After installing (and rebooting as instructed), install Termux (terminal emulator).  Once in Termux, type "su" to allow it root permissions (grant it permission).
  • The commands to control charging will be done in Termux as root (typing su <enter> before running the commands.
  • To turn off charging until the device reaches 15%:  acc -d 15%  and then enter  (after that command, restart the acc daemon type typing "accd" and then enter).  If your device has more than 15% charge, plugging in the USB cable will not charge the device.
  • To put it back to "normal" (charge to 100%", replace the "15%" with "100%". All the acc commands are here: https://github.com/VR-25/acc/blob/master/README.md
  • Alternatively, I found that sometimes the -d and -e commands hang, so as an alternative the 3 modes I set up:
    acc --set pause_capacity=16 resume_capacity=15     #Flight Mode - don't charge over USB until battery reaches 15%
    acc --set pause_capacity=95 resume_capacity=94     #Flight Prep - stop charging over USB when battery reaches 95%
    acc --set pause_capacity=80 resume_capacity=79     #Everyday Mode - stop charging over USB when battery reaches 80%
  • <optional> To make this much more user friendly, install "Tasker".  This is an absolutely amazing tool to automate almost anything on your device.  Using tasker, I created 3 shortcuts sitting on my tray:  "Flight Mode" (no charge until 15% + full screen brightness), "Flight Prep" (charge to 95%), and "Everyday Mode" (charge to 80%).   Makes changing made super quick.  I do not own or sell Tasker.  I purchased it years ago and used for all kinds of phone/tablet automations.

Good luck!

2021-7-26
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

The charging rate is merely 3 watts and that's not even really a charging, simply compensating what is used to run DJI Fly.
2021-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules