Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark vs Wind Gusts
8597 11 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KSBV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104252 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really wanted to fly a few batteries today after the update yesterday but it's simply too windy right now for a safe flight (winds at 100ft gusting to 35 mph).  But I do have a question for those that have experienced this - can the Spark handle gusts in excess of the top speed of sport mode?  Just wondering if there is enough spare motor power to still make progress into winds like this or if it would simply lose the battle.  I get that reducing altitude would help but this isn't always an option.  

Note that I'm not planning on testing this.  Just want to have an idea of what to expect if I ever get into a situation where winds suddenly pick up.

Thanks!
2017-8-22
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
Mexico

I flew off my 18th stories high, wind was pretty decent, don't know gust speed....little jittery with Spark and wind take it into a wall, drop like a brick from 18th stories high, damaged but still function, well build Spark, (lens cover, battery and body damaged,), start a case with Spark luckily I have DJI Refresh
2017-8-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's good up to 15mph gusts, but that's the upper end of what you want to fly it in.  It struggles at that point.
2017-8-22
Use props
KSBV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-22 16:09
It's good up to 15mph gusts, but that's the upper end of what you want to fly it in.  It struggles at that point.

I've flown it in an open field with winds like that and was really impressed with the stability.  It did get bumped around quite a bit but the video (of the trees swaying) remained excellent.  

Thanks for the info!
2017-8-22
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

Ha!! I flew with about 15-20mph sustained and stronger gust, in my video you see the Spark do 360 in less than a second as gust hit it.  Usually, you can face into the wind and work lower where there is a building or other obstacle to block the wind and land.  
2017-8-22
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

Ha!! I flew with about 15-20mph sustained and stronger gust, in my video you see the Spark do 360 in less than a second as gust hit it.  Usually, you can face into the wind and work lower where there is a building or other obstacle to block the wind and land.  But best idea is not to try and fly in a big wind.
2017-8-22
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Down many flights in 15 mph sustained surface winds with higher gusts (triggering the high wind warning)  including  near cliffs which increase turbulence and  the spark was rock solid. 20mph sustained is as far as I m willing to go, 35mph isn't wise...

There is some reserve power as sports mode I have never noticed a top speed difference whether flying into or off the wind.
2017-8-23
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Check difference between ground speed and airspeed.35 mph airspeed into 35 mph windspeed will give 0 mph ground speed. Therefore it will appear to hover.
2017-8-23
Use props
Connor-UK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202549 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't fly over 15mph, my concern is when in sport mode more, when braking or going fast it could get a gust of wind which would flip it, guess if you were high enough you would reverse up and down and be able to fly upside down?
2017-8-23
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Connor-UK Posted at 2017-8-23 14:45
I wouldn't fly over 15mph, my concern is when in sport mode more, when braking or going fast it could get a gust of wind which would flip it, guess if you were high enough you would reverse up and down and be able to fly upside down?

If the drone Flip it will turn off motors and fall, and if the flip is realy fast, the drone will return to normal position ( theres a video on youtube showing this).
2017-8-23
Use props
KSBV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks to all. I'll continue to go with 25 mph as theax that I'm willing to fly in. Good to know there is some margin left just in case.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We don't recommend flying the drone with the wind exceeding 10 m/s. If a strong wind suddenly comes, it depends on the speed of the wind. The drone might be overwhelmed if it can not resist the wind. So please fly with caution.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules