12Next >
7906 43 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

To DJI moderators and anyone else with the same problem.
After reading Hallmark thread and warrentee problems i am deaply concerned because my mavic does not have any glue on any of the screw heads.
When i first got my mavic i inspected it thoroughly and never noticed any screws - how do i prove there was no glue when the drone arrived -
Is my warrentee still valid???????
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

If I were you, I would address this warranty question directly to DJI support.  
2017-8-23
Use props
H83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18156 ft
United Kingdom

My mavic is only a few weeks old can't say I have noticed any glue on screw heads!?? Should there be?
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

H83 Posted at 2017-8-23 02:09
My mavic is only a few weeks old can't say I have noticed any glue on screw heads!?? Should there be?

I own two Mavics and they both have at least two screws with glue on them - see photos:
20170822_195226-02.jpg
20170822_195241-02.jpg
2017-8-23
Use props
H83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18156 ft
United Kingdom

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 02:12
I own two Mavics and they both have at least two screws with glue on them - see photos:

Thanks for pics, just checked I have 2 in same location as you just wasn't very noticeable
2017-8-23
Use props
Rob Spalding
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315584 ft
United Kingdom

on very close inspection, I have glue on 2 screws. if mavic is upside down, second from top right (to arm) and bottom right. i missed em on first look.
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

H83 Posted at 2017-8-23 02:43
Thanks for pics, just checked I have 2 in same location as you just wasn't very noticeable

There you are, a photo is worth a thousand words...
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

Here is a photo of the bottom of my mavic - i really do not see any glue - am i missing something?Also i noticed that the one panel (with blue line below) has a shadow line. It is clearly not in the same flush position as the other panel which is seated nicely like you would expect from a R25000 piece of equipment.
Neither i or anyone i know has ever taken any tool to my mavic - yet some of my screw heads are not in mint condition.
Only dji china has worked on my drone - if a lack of glue and evidence of tampering with screws will nullify my warentee then why did they send it back to me incorrectly repaired?
If i have to send it for a warentee issue how can i prove that this was dji who opened the panels and not me.

Mavic screws gif.GIF

2017-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 09:27
Here is a photo of the bottom of my mavic - i really do not see any glue - am i missing something?Also i noticed that the one panel (with blue line below) has a shadow line. It is clearly not in the same flush position as the other panel which is seated nicely like you would expect from a R25000 piece of equipment.
Neither i or anyone i know has ever taken any tool to my mavic - yet some of my screw heads are not in mint condition.
Only dji china has worked on my drone - if a lack of glue and evidence of tampering with screws will nullify my warentee then why did they send it back to me incorrectly repaired?

You know , I am convinced there is a problem with QC , I now know my Mavic was allowed out of the gates with numerous problems, and although it never gave me an ounce of trouble, except when I sent it in for stress cracks, stress cracks were not the problem there was a big emphasis on glue and screw, so I can tell you honestly my problem was in the manufacturing process, it was last October when dji was in all sorts of turmoil and panic, so I'm putting it down to poor quality checks, I've also went through my other 3 drones looking for glue have found nothing and have emailed service about this in the wake of my problem with Mavic .
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 09:27

You may have accidentally removed the glue, it comes off relatively easily.

BTW, the gimbal clamp is not correctly mounted and some of the screw heads look rusty.

The little cover you have marked in blue, only clicks into place and the screw then holds it down.
Try pushing on it a little to make it seat correctly.
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 11:04

BTW, the gimbal clamp is not correctly mounted and some of the screw heads look rusty.

thanks marsan - good advise on the plate - i pushed it down and it clicked into place, thanks.
And also about the gimbal clamp - just needed to be seated a bit more firmly - probably got loose while i was taking pics.
But the primary concern remains and subject of this thread- what about my warentee??
Assuming i did remove the glue by mistake how does one account for the fact that some of my screw heads are not in mint condition. They are not so bad condition of the ones shown as hallmarks drone but some small scratches makes it clear to me that they are not factory original -
This would be seen by dji as tampering and therefore invalid my warentee - this is wrong because i never messed with any screws on my drone.
Therefore i will be harmed by wrongly losing my warentee rights and probably being wrongly accused of lying. That stinks.
And how would i prove to DJI that the glue came off by mistake and that imperfect screw heads were either also like that or made imperfect by the dji staff who repaired my drone in china.
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 11:04

Using glue is rather a simple yet clever way of alerting them to possible 'unauthorised opening" of the drone.
Using a glue that comes off easily is a ridiculous over sight on their behalf.
Perhaps they should use a better glue that does not come out so easily - or develope another more reliable 'unauthorised tampering" indication system
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 11:36
thanks marsan - good advise on the plate - i pushed it down and it clicked into place, thanks.
And also about the gimbal clamp - just needed to be seated a bit more firmly - probably got loose while i was taking pics.
But the primary concern remains and subject of this thread- what about my warentee??

Nobody in this forum can advise you regarding your concerns about warranty, unless that person works for DJI.
I already suggested that you get into contact with DJI support who should be able to help you.
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 11:38
Using glue is rather a simple yet clever way of alerting them to possible 'unauthorised opening" of the drone.
Using a glue that comes off easily is a ridiculous over sight on their behalf.
Perhaps they should use a better glue that does not come out so easily - or develope another more reliable 'unauthorised tampering" indication system

If they use a glue that is hard to remove, the technicians at DJI support will be wasting a lot of precious time.
And we all know that time is money...
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Attaching the gimbal clamp, watch carefully:

2017-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I will post some new photos tomorrow that I received by request of my screws they certainly don't look anything like the pictures posted yesterday so I don't know what was going on, I have now 18 names of pre December Mavics with no glue and most of these say they never had any glue.

Yes it would be very simple to use a small seal underneath screw to detect if Mavic was tampered with and as you say this should be mentioned as part of your warranty.
2017-8-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will post again. My manufacture date May 16th 2017, received new bird as part of the fly more package through Amazon 2 weeks ago. 3 short flights.  No glue, but the screws are perfect.  Hopefully they choose not to remove this thread like the last one.
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 11:57
Nobody in this forum can advise you regarding your concerns about warranty, unless that person works for DJI.
I already suggested that you get into contact with DJI support who should be able to help you.

This is an issue that concerns not only me but many users.

This is a reasonable place to ask the question.

Their forum was created for getting answers to such things - if dji would reply here then many people at once will know the answer and permanent record will be here for future queries.

This is the right place to ask the question.

2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 11:59
If they use a glue that is hard to remove, the technicians at DJI support will be wasting a lot of precious time.
And we all know that time is money...

considering their products i cannot image they do not employ someone who is not able to come up with a better solution than glue that falls out (if that is in fact the reason for the missing glue)
i think more likely it is a QC failing - either that it is not a check list item - or that the check list is not properly adhered to or that not all departments have the same preshipment check list.
2017-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 14:03

Of course this is the right place to ask the question, otherwise what is the point of this forum, we all come here for answers from dji and this question should be no different, I don't know if you have ever tried as a lone wolf to get this kind of information from support , but it ain't easy.

This is a simple question. Do I need glue in my screw to insure my warranty and if any of my screws are damaged which could possibly happen in any number of ways will my warranty still be valid.
2017-8-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I endorse all of this statement.
2017-8-23
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just checked my Mavic, second unit purchased in June and it has one of the screw with glue. All the other screws look pretty good. Obviously, it's a bird with only 2 months of use, and not as many flights as the previous one.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

The support team is currently working on Hallmark's case. I've never heard of this being an issue before so I wouldn't freak out if you don't see glue. After Hall's case is concluded I'll try my best to share info that most likely will put this issue completely to rest.

I understand where you all are coming from, but it's too early to draw conclusions.
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 14:03

OK, let's wait together then...  
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 22:38
OK, let's wait together then...

thanks
2017-8-23
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 14:14
considering their products i cannot image they do not employ someone who is not able to come up with a better solution than glue that falls out (if that is in fact the reason for the missing glue)
i think more likely it is a QC failing - either that it is not a check list item - or that the check list is not properly adhered to or that not all departments have the same preshipment check list.

When I opened up my first Mavic a couple of days ago, and then closed it up again, I replaced all the screws by first dipping them into Loctite 243.
Loctite 243 is a special glue that prevents screws from coming loose under vibrations, but the screws can still be unscrewed once the glue has dried.
This could possibly be a visible check for support technicians, but in the manufacturing process this would require an extra step to dip all screws into Loctite 243 or a similar glue.
I know that Apple have used unique screws on their iPhones that require a unique screwdriver to remove the screws, but this didn't help, because this special screwdriver is now readily available.
2017-8-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-23 17:29
The support team is currently working on Hallmark's case. I've never heard of this being an issue before so I wouldn't freak out if you don't see glue. After Hall's case is concluded I'll try my best to share info that most likely will put this issue completely to rest.

I understand where you all are coming from, but it's too early to draw conclusions.

Thanks dji joe -
i currently have submitted a warentee enquiry to my agent as my one battery is swollen. they have emailed to say they received my request and will get back to me - they still have not but i continue to be patient.
My issue is this - if it was my drone with a problem then i would probably have to send that to them and based on the problem Hallmark is suffering and considering no glue on my screws and screws heads that do not look perfect - i expect i would get the same problem.
i would be as angry as you would be or any other person would be to be accused wrongly of opening my drone.
Even though i now have photos to prove the current condition of my screws - how could i possibly be able to prove that the only people who have had open box experiance with my drone is dji and me - and therefore any screw irregularities must be from dji - how could i prove this, i cant.

Solution for dji - All units sent out as new or refreshed or repaired by dji and authorised repairers/dealers - must have new screws in.
These screws are perhaps the cheapest item in the mavic - every drone that leaves dji (especially repaired or refurbished ones) must have all old screws removed and new ones installed
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi all, the glue may hard to be found since it is transparent, no worries, should you have any issues with your drone, please feel free to contact us, we are glad to help. As for Hallmark's case, we've got it sorted out, thank you all for your attention.
2017-8-24
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-24 00:21
Hi all, the glue may hard to be found since it is transparent, no worries, should you have any issues with your drone, please feel free to contact us, we are glad to help. As for Hallmark's case, we've got it sorted out, thank you all for your attention.

I have posted two photos of the glued screws on my Mavic a little farther up in this thread.  
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-23 23:11
Thanks dji joe -
i currently have submitted a warentee enquiry to my agent as my one battery is swollen. they have emailed to say they received my request and will get back to me - they still have not but i continue to be patient.
My issue is this - if it was my drone with a problem then i would probably have to send that to them and based on the problem Hallmark is suffering and considering no glue on my screws and screws heads that do not look perfect - i expect i would get the same problem.

Well it ended up well as you will see below email from support, it's just what I wanted so I'm pleased with dji's reply.

S
support.eu9
to me
2 hours agoDetails
Hello David,

Good morning.

Thanks for your kind feedback and information.

Based on your information, I have checked with my colleagues in production department, and I checked your unit manufacture date.

It is correct that your batch is without the glue, I will change this case to warranty and revise the quotation for you.

My sincere apologize for this case, sorry for all the inconvenience caused by our fault.

We will repair it soon and send it back to you within today.

Appreciate your kind understanding and thank you for your constant support.

For any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

A good day.

Carol

DJI EU Support
2017-8-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I know we are all glad that Hallmark's case has been settled to his favor,  BUT, this question begs to be answered:  What about other Mavic owners who bought mavics of this same batch and were
told the same thing that Hallmark was told?  I'm sure this has not the only case where this has happened.  Not to be a "debbie downer", but to be fair to those who paid and did not question DJI.
I hope I'm not opening up another "can of worms", but has anyone thought about this?
2017-8-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-24 04:24
I know we are all glad that Hallmark's case has been settled to his favor,  BUT, this question begs to be answered:  What about other Mavic owners who bought mavics of this same batch and were
told the same thing that Hallmark was told?  I'm sure this has not the only case where this has happened.  Not to be a "debbie downer", but to be fair to those who paid and did not question DJI.
I hope I'm not opening up another "can of worms", but has anyone thought about this?

hey alabama - i feel for the previous people who were provided questionable invoices. The way i see it though (just my personal opinion) is that by gones are by gones - life is not always fair and when you get beaten (fairly or not) we are best advised to suck it up and move on.
2017-8-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-23 22:58
When I opened up my first Mavic a couple of days ago, and then closed it up again, I replaced all the screws by first dipping them into Loctite 243.
Loctite 243 is a special glue that prevents screws from coming loose under vibrations, but the screws can still be unscrewed once the glue has dried.
This could possibly be a visible check for support technicians, but in the manufacturing process this would require an extra step to dip all screws into Loctite 243 or a similar glue.

i agree that there exist simple solutions to this problem. Perhaps this situation has given dji an example of why it would be beneficial to them to improve their current system.
I think the fact they put the glue is evidence that they are looking for some screw tampering recognition system.
This thread has shown that the current system is imperfect and perhaps they will consider it to be in their interest to improve that system - will be interested to see what they come up with.
2017-8-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-24 02:01
Well it ended up well as you will see below email from support, it's just what I wanted so I'm pleased with dji's reply.

S

safe and happy flying
btw - what editing software do you use?
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-24 05:46
safe and happy flying
btw - what editing software do you use?

Thank you, I use photoshop cc and Lightroom for photography, FCP for video, I find it very easy to use similar to PS as it works in lairs.
2017-8-24
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-24 05:41
i agree that there exist simple solutions to this problem. Perhaps this situation has given dji an example of why it would be beneficial to them to improve their current system.
I think the fact they put the glue is evidence that they are looking for some screw tampering recognition system.
This thread has shown that the current system is imperfect and perhaps they will consider it to be in their interest to improve that system - will be interested to see what they come up with.

It is not easy to come up with a system that will stop owners of a device to open their devices.
It must also be a very cheap system.
If you feel like inventing something, now is the time...
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-24 04:24

Hi Alabama, you have a point, difficulty is where are these people, I'm sure if same problem crops up again help will be there for them , finding them from this community will only happen if the see threads and post, also google search might help as it's out there now.
The threads and post will also help others sending in new repairs to be vigilant if they experience similar problems.
2017-8-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am glad to see a satisfactory end to this situation.
2017-8-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-24 07:13
Thank you, I use photoshop cc and Lightroom for photography, FCP for video, I find it very easy to use similar to PS as it works in lairs.

cool thanks -
2017-8-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-24 07:13
It is not easy to come up with a system that will stop owners of a device to open their devices.
It must also be a very cheap system.
If you feel like inventing something, now is the time...

I think not something that owners cannot open - just something that will help dji distinguish between an authorised opening (like dji or approved repair places) , which keeps the warentee in place and an unauthorised opening which will void the warentee.
I will wait to see dji reply as promised by moderators - i am sure they will make a solution.
2017-8-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules