help with downloading pictures and videos
1289 14 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwcreigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

hi brand new Phantom 4 owner here. I love this thing but I do have a few questions. I am not the best computer oriented person out there. how do I go about downloading the pictures and videos to my computer and still find them. I did get it to work the first time but now it don't detect the AC when I plug it into the computer. BTW I am using windows 10. another question is what is the best / cheapest online storage. I use to use sugar sync, I loved it but was pretty pricey. thanks for the help.
2017-8-23
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Go onto a site like eBay and get a USB multi card reader (make sure it takes the micro SD card). Should pick up one for a couple of dollars. Then after each flight you simply take the SD card out of your Phantom, put it in the reader & plug the reader into the computer. Transfer files as per normal.
Remember to put the card back in the Phantom afterwards.
Other way is via USB cable to Phantom & PC. BUT CARD READER IS EASIEST.
2017-8-23
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Regarding "online storage", I personally recommend getting an external storage device instead.  Online storage is slow and limited, and most likely you will be transferring hundreds of MB.  You can purchase an external storage device with 1TB storage for as little as $65.  As far as transferring your card to your PC, make sure the card is formatted.  Sometimes my Mac doesn't read the card, so I remove it and replace it again, and then it recognises the card.  I hope that helps.  WELCOME TO THE P4 FAMILY!
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

One of the easiest ways to store video to your computer is to open a new folder.

Name it appropriately and you will always be able to find where you want to copy the flight files.
You can make two folders, if you wish to keep your drone pics separated.

RedHotPoker

2017-8-23
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

thanks to all.
2017-8-23
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-23 10:00
Regarding "online storage", I personally recommend getting an external storage device instead.  Online storage is slow and limited, and most likely you will be transferring hundreds of MB.  You can purchase an external storage device with 1TB storage for as little as $65.  As far as transferring your card to your PC, make sure the card is formatted.  Sometimes my Mac doesn't read the card, so I remove it and replace it again, and then it recognises the card.  I hope that helps.  WELCOME TO THE P4 FAMILY!

how reliable are they? I had a computer crash to a point that there was no saving it and lost ALL our photos including wedding photos.
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

rwcreigh@comcas Posted at 2017-8-23 12:30
how reliable are they? I had a computer crash to a point that there was no saving it and lost ALL our photos including wedding photos.

If it's a USB device, it should be quite stable.

Buy a better quality model, not a bargain basement blowout unit. ;-)

It's remarkable that you can now purchase an sd card for your dslr, of 1Terrabyte.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

rwcreigh@comcas Posted at 2017-8-23 12:30

I've had the same external storage device for over 7 years and have used it for storing all my bulk film, music, photos, etc... The version I had was called "rockstar" and was only 150GB 7 years ago.  I've used it to transfer from one computer to another over the years without a problem.
Now you can buy external storage drives about the size of an iPhone that has over 2TB storage.  -In fact, that is my next purchase to keep all my stock footage on.  (128GB doesn't go as far as it use to, hahaha)
2017-8-23
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-23 13:27
I've had the same external storage device for over 7 years and have used it for storing all my bulk film, music, photos, etc... The version I had was called "rockstar" and was only 150GB 7 years ago.  I've used it to transfer from one computer to another over the years without a problem.
Now you can buy external storage drives about the size of an iPhone that has over 2TB storage.  -In fact, that is my next purchase to keep all my stock footage on.  (128GB doesn't go as far as it use to, hahaha)

thank you, I will look into it
2017-8-23
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

rwcreigh@comcas Posted at 2017-8-23 14:36
thank you, I will look into it

You are welcome
Funny, after I messaged you, Amazon .com sent me an ad showing that they have 4TB storage devices for about $100.  That should be enough space for a year of 4K ultra HD video if you record as much as I do.  Its amazing how far technology has come in just 7 years.
2017-8-23
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

External storage - same rules as per any of this stuff...make, and maintain, a regular backup on another source.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the computer doesn't detect the AC, please first make sure that you have powered on the drone, then check if the driver had installed correctly. You can also try another USB cable or use an SD card reader to help.
2017-8-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Videos - I upload to YouTube .... I know downgrades the resolution .... but I accept that.

Photos - I upload to Photobucket .....

Both free online.

I also have large external plug in storage for local storage .....

Nigel
2017-8-27
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

all good advice
2017-8-30
Use props
wealthman
New
Flight distance : 1726 ft

Australia

having similar issue but only with 4K video...any thoughts?
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules