Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poor/Grain Video from Mavic
10115 15 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Querkl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423740 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,

Please could somebody help me to diagnose a recent issue I've been having with grainy/flickering footage? Personally, these clips are unusable - especially if I compare them to the images I was getting out of my first Mavic. Could this be a camera issue?

Settings were:
ISO: 100
D-Cini
+1,-1,0

Please download for quality:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1LzCjxe47fga3BJVFducTV6R1U

I appreciate the support!
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It seems like Moire at "Grainy 2", but others, need to confirm more. Please try to reset the camera and record a video that uses auto camera setting and decrease the sharpness. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-8-23
Use props
Querkl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-23 21:29
It seems like Moire at "Grainy 2", but others, need to confirm more. Please try to reset the camera and record a video that uses auto camera setting and decrease the sharpness. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

I have added 2 videos "Auto" and "Trees" to the above link.

Auto is filmed in fully auto mode, in which I still could not get clear footage. Additionally, I have spotted a soft focus area towards the left of the picture.
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Querkl Posted at 2017-8-26 05:57
Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

Are they all the original video from the SD card? If yes, I'll help to transfer to our engineers to confirm, will reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for your patience. Addition, those sceneries are beautiful.
2017-8-31
Use props
Querkl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-31 02:44
Are they all the original video from the SD card? If yes, I'll help to transfer to our engineers to confirm, will reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for your patience. Addition, those sceneries are beautiful.

Yes all footage in this link is the original from the SD card. Would be great if you could help me to get clarification, I would love to get back in the air soon - Thanks DJI Thor!
2017-9-2
Use props
BSF
New
United States

I am having a lot of grain, moire and blockiness in my video as well.
2017-9-3
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Yep this is like my videos will look if I select +1 sharpness...lot  of grainy and flicker...always use 0 for sharpness...not -1 because then the 3d NR will kick hard....
You are true you have left side blurred ...that I experience myself time to time after I updated my mavic one month ago from factory fw 1.03.0100 .

Do you have in the past better video? Please upload some. Tx!
2017-9-3
Use props
Querkl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

daivatam Posted at 2017-9-3 22:26
Yep this is like my videos will look if I select +1 sharpness...lot  of grainy and flicker...always use 0 for sharpness...not -1 because then the 3d NR will kick hard....
You are true you have left side blurred ...that I experience myself time to time after I updated my mavic one month ago from factory fw 1.03.0100 .

Ah I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues as well! While it's reassuring to know I'm not alone in this, it's never nice to have issues

shameless plug for better movies when video quality was good ;) :

2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Querkl Posted at 2017-9-2 14:34
Yes all footage in this link is the original from the SD card. Would be great if you could help me to get clarification, I would love to get back in the air soon  - Thanks DJI Thor!

Hi Querkl, I got news from the engineers, and they suggest that please try to watch the 4k videos on a bigger screen, screens like a computer or mobile device might not fully display the result of 4k videos.
2017-9-7
Use props
Querkl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-7 19:21
Hi Querkl, I got news from the engineers, and they suggest that please try to watch the 4k videos on a bigger screen, screens like a computer or mobile device might not fully display the result of 4k videos.

Hi DJI Thor, thanks for getting back to me.

After reviewing the footage again on a 4K screen I can see the issues even more clearly. Thank you for your support I will launch a formal repair enquiry to get this sorted.  
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Querkl Posted at 2017-9-8 03:03

After reviewing the footage again on a 4K screen I can see the issues even more clearly. Thank you for your support I will launch a formal repair enquiry to get this sorted.

Sorry to hear about this, we will also take care of it if you send the drone back. Appreciate your patience and your kindness.
2017-9-9
Use props
fans84b0d60f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3304 ft
Australia

Hi

I have just posted a similar thread.

I am also seeing lots of grain / noise in footage. Along with soft spots on the left.

Viewing on 5K iMac and Sony 4k TV.

Can you advise on next step DJI
2017-9-11
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Hi, DJI R&D here. Your footage does not look excessively grainy or noisy to me. With a tiny Type 1/2.3'' sensor, noise is inevitable on Mavic Pro. In addition, since the drone is using a predictive H.264 encoding which relies on the intra-frame redundancy of information, some encoding artifacts may occur when shooting complex scenes that contain a lot of randomly moving objects (such as forests in the wind or ripples on the water) to fit the stream into the ~60Mbps bitrate. This would also bring about slightly reduced quality in non-moving area, which can appear "laggy" or grainy when we concentrate our sights on that region.

In the recent 01.03.1000 firmware update (Aug. 22nd, 2017) we slightly adjusted the default look of video with a steeper gamma, according to user feedback. This could make the noise more noticeable under some circumstances. If you are using iOS (and if you have not sent back your drone to us), you may try to get back the old look by switching "Color" to "Vivid". There is little difference, but it might be what have been bothering you.
2017-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

charlesetischer Posted at 2017-9-18 06:20
Hi, DJI R&D here. Your footage does not look excessively grainy or noisy to me. With a tiny Type 1/2.3'' sensor, noise is inevitable on Mavic Pro. In addition, since the drone is using a predictive H.264 encoding which relies on the intra-frame redundancy of information, some encoding artifacts may occur when shooting complex scenes that contain a lot of randomly moving objects (such as forests in the wind or ripples on the water) to fit the stream into the ~60Mbps bitrate. This would also bring about slightly reduced quality in non-moving area, which can appear "laggy" or grainy when we concentrate our sights on that region.

In the recent 01.03.1000 firmware update (Aug. 22nd, 2017) we slightly adjusted the default look of video with a steeper gamma, according to user feedback. This could make the noise more noticeable under some circumstances. If you are using iOS (and if you have not sent back your drone to us), you may try to get back the old look by switching "Color" to "Vivid". There is little difference, but it might be what have been bothering you.

That makes sense
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Querkl Posted at 2017-9-8 03:03

Hi Querkl, it is from our engineers on 13#, and he had explained this case, please refer to it. Thank you.
2017-9-27
Use props
Brett Sears
New

United States

All of my Mini 2 4k 30 fps vids look grainy / excessive noise.  The Mavic Mini 2.7k 30fps looks cleaner.  I am unhappy with the videos quality of the mini 2.
2020-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules