Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why I hate threads like these.......
12Next >
2558 41 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

I'm talking about firmware/software updates. I always ignore them. Why? Because the thread has like 50+ responses and it goes back for 4-6 months. I don't know if it's actually a new Firmware upgrade, or one that was new 4-6 months ago, and people are still replying to them.

Why reply to them? I don't get it. If there's a firmware upgrade, just do it. Or don't do it. It's your drone. Do what you want to do. But when you have a dozen replies going back and forth, that thread is going to continue for months. So someone happens to look in the forum and see, "New Firmware updates", he's going to think it's actually NEW, when it fact, it isn't. It's just another person giving a new reply to a thread that's like 4-6 months old.

Sorry..had to sound off. Right now, to be honest, I have no idea what version I'm on. And from hearing all the problems with each updates, I'll continue to fly as is. If the thing blows up, it blows up.
2017-8-24
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LOL   I like your philosophy!
2017-8-24
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Hello my friend, I agree with you too!
Although I am probably guilty for a least responding to some of those old posts too. It does get confusing. and it seems like a lot of people don't apparently look around before starting a new post for an old problem. I do find myself also looking at something, only to see it is very old and I usually close it and don't try to go back there. A lot of people keep asking if they should upgrade, but pretty sure they have read all the issues. I'm with you, if it flies ok, leave it alone. there is nothing to gain but only more flight restrictions in my book.
2017-8-24
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

..Oh...just wait until the Tesla Model 3 comes out next year. On their forums, "Updates" will be used on every post. It will be much worse than it is here. If you think our DJI Phantom needed tons of updates, the Tesla will get 10X more.
2017-8-24
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They are a real pain - it really needs a tidy up -
2017-8-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I too agree, it is very confusing to a new person like myself...first, I have no baseline or reference point from which to work from.  Next, so many posters just post info or questions with no detail, like what versions they are talking about I can't separate one note about a version from another it becomes all the same.  Lastly, I couldn't agree more, some of these threads should either be combined or closed, but I guess the mods or admin don't because they can't keep it straight or figure it out either.  
Even this thread, to many, will have no true value to learning, BUT, maybe it will tell folks to:
1) Provide specific details to their posts i.e. version #s, model used, specifics of the event they refer too, yadda yadda yadda
2) Stay on topic
3) Mods & Admin shut down old threads, out dated ones, and delete the junk after 6 mths to a year (they may have a policy for that, I don't know, if not they should)

Take care all, carry on
2017-8-24
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

DJI Forum is set to update the list of topics based on "latest reply".  So if someone replies, it brings the post back to the front of the list for unsuspecting viewers to respond assuming it is a "new topic".  I always change my the setting to "latest post" when browsing my DJI "newspaper".  
Maybe they should create a seperate file for "firmware update" topics.
2017-8-24
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

Simple solution.

Firmware update 8/24/17. Just lock it up right away. No replies allowed. Then the next one would be, "Firmware update 4/15/18"......."Firmware update 8/17/18" and so on.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Just a quick test, upvote this comment if you want a dedicated "firmware" sub-section. Downvote this comment if you think it would just be more clutter.
2017-8-24
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Or another solution... Lock these threads when there is a new firmware...make it sticky but users allows to reply as we Donnoe further bugs in the latest fw...
2017-8-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-24 10:06
Just a quick test, upvote this comment if you want a dedicated "firmware" sub-section. Downvote this comment if you think it would just be more clutter.

DJI Joe
A dedicated sub-section would only be a start to clearing things up.  You would still have the same problems being noted here in that new section.
It needs to be a comprehensive change to the process, covering version #s, dates, subject, etc.
The issue is not people posting, but the way it gets done that causes the confusion
Thanks
2017-8-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Joe,

Mahalo for the initiative on this issue.  I upvoted!  BTW, this probably the main reason so many newbies perceive that there is a big issue with firmware updates.

Since I know about this problem, I first look for what firmware version is in question.  If it is old, I dismiss the issue and move on.  There is nothing I can do to help.  But, when I respond on firmware issues and note that it really is not a big problem, the newbies get offended and say there are hundreds or thousands of threads and posts on the problem.  Some even add links.  

It is embarrassing for them when I have to point out that the links are for old threads on previous firmware issues that also were not a big problem at the time.  But the sheer numbers are freaky for them and they get intimidated by the number of threads and posts.  The result is a disruptive animosity.  

Fortunately, so many of our Forum members see that we are really only trying to help and they get over the firmware intimidation and become members in good standing.  This is the only reward for confronting firmware issues like we have to do.

It will take a minimum of 6 months to get a handle on this issue if you start this week.  If you used the editing abilities of administration to put in firmware dates in the thread title when the author forgets, it would be really helpful to.

Mahalo again for the initiative!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

How difficult is it to check the dates, on the DJI firmware update page, of your specific model? ;-)

I used to keep it on speed dial.

Less time than reading 50 replies first. Unless your name is Evelyn Wood. Ha

www.ewrd.com

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 12:38
How difficult is it to check the dates, on the DJI firmware update page, of your specific model? ;-)

I used to keep it on speed dial.

Let's tone it down...
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-24 13:52
Let's tone it down...

Oh, so You missed the smiley face ;-) and my Ha?
Just saying. I used to check the firmware download page every morning, in hopes of finding a new version to download and try out. Those of us who have never had issues with our drones are usually brave enough to update our flight kits when ever it is possible.

If I see an announcement about new firmware availability, First I check the date of the beginning post in the thread, & perhaps the download page for my particular model.

I have mostly always thought it important to keep current. ;-)

Unlike others here who prefer to sit on the fence, to wait & see!

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Sensible idea where you could post links for each Phantom model as well as previous firmware for those that wish to use that and instructions on how to install.

2017-8-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 16:24
Just saying. I used to check the firmware download page every morning, in hopes of finding a new version to download and try out. Those of us who have never had issues with our drones are usually brave enough to update our flight kits when ever it is possible.

RedHotPoker,
I got ya...that's the problem with text, it does a lousy job of communicating emotion, even if you use an emoticon.
Keep that sense of humor, sometimes that's all you got when everything else is going to heck in a handbasket.
2017-8-24
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

I agree 100%  This is suppose to be fun and helpful.  
Personally, if I have technical issues, I will contact the company directly for resolution.  
2017-8-24
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 16:24

Our friend Kuya texted me.  He just got banned for voicing his displeasure DJI even after apologizing for his actions.  I hate to see any more of my friends get the boot here for upsetting the administrator, especially comments as enjoyable as yours.
2017-8-24
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366257 ft
  • >>>
Iraq

good idea Joe.. how to we upvote
2017-8-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

GeeDee Posted at 2017-8-24 18:46
good idea Joe.. how to we upvote

Look at bottom of the post...there are thumbs up or down...up vote would be hitting a thumbs up if you agree with DJI Joe's recommendation.
2017-8-24
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-24 12:12
Aloha Joe,

Mahalo for the initiative on this issue.  I upvoted!  BTW, this probably the main reason so many newbies perceive that there is a big issue with firmware updates.

Regarding "newbies", I assume you are talking about people like me, and I think it is a bit of a poor judgement on your behalf.
As a "newbie", I already come to this forum with the knowledge that there is a tech support staff in which you can chat, call, or email to obtain free assistance regarding technical and firmware support.
Secondly as a "newbie", I too have gone through the recent firmware update and despite very minor quirks in the new programming, I am not "intimidated" nor does it lessen my appreciation for the software.
The biggest problem with your suggestion, is that you really can't separate technical questions from the firmware itself.  Chances are, if there is something unique going on, such as my drone wouldn't go over 30 fee yesterday (a drone afraid of heights... imagine that) With only 6 years of technical training in radar and electrical systems, I suspect that firmware may be a part of the equation.
My wife is controller for an international airport and as a drone enthusiast, very advanced in knowing what the FAA is doing on a daily basis regarding regulations, changes, and such.  I can tell you as a combination of her FAA credentials and my 20 years of radar avionics, much of what DJI is having to modify is related to what changing regulations are enforced upon DJI.
2017-8-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-24 20:44
Regarding "newbies", I assume you are talking about people like me, and I think it is a bit of a poor judgement on your behalf.
As a "newbie", I already come to this forum with the knowledge that there is a tech support staff in which you can chat, call, or email to obtain free assistance regarding technical and firmware support.
Secondly as a "newbie", I too have gone through the recent firmware update and despite very minor quirks in the new programming, I am not "intimidated" nor does it lessen my appreciation for the software.

Would you please provide details and specifics, as to the Regs that are being forced upon DJI that is causing or requiring this foreign corporation to program their devices in a manner for which you are referring?
Thank you
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-24 17:34
Our friend Kuya texted me.  He just got banned for voicing his displeasure DJI even after apologizing for his actions.  I hate to see any more of my friends get the boot here for upsetting the administrator, especially comments as enjoyable as yours.

Sorry to hear about your friend getting the banishment treatment.

Yeah. But, as others have done, they just open a new account, and move forward.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-24 17:34

Perhaps someone had a terrible day, and was only politely venting? Ha

Isn't this A public forum, but yet we aren't allowed to voice our personal opinion. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Blackbeagle Posted at 2017-8-24 09:57
Simple solution.

Firmware update 8/24/17. Just lock it up right away. No replies allowed. Then the next one would be, "Firmware update 4/15/18"......."Firmware update 8/17/18" and so on.

Of course rest of the world would read that as wrong ....

USA has MONTH - DAY - YEAR

Rest of world has DAY - MONTH - YEAR

Nigel
2017-8-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 22:37

RHP - you are fully aware of DJI policy on this site .... its why other non DJI controlled forums are wider ranging in their information and content.

And as we have 'sparred' on various occasions ..... covering sarcasm / bad manners with Smilies doesn't work for many ...

Nigel
2017-8-25
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-24 17:17

RedHotPoker,
I got ya...that's the problem with text, it does a lousy job of communicating emotion, even if you use an emoticon.
Keep that sense of humor, sometimes that's all you got when everything else is going to heck in a handbasket.

Congratulations on finally expending all your tiny invisible fonts and graduating to using big-boy fonts now .
2017-8-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-24 20:44

Aloha Nautica,

Obviously, I could not possibly have anything to say since you have been able to single-handedly take everything I said from years of experience on this Forum and condensed it down with your expertise at being a newbie, and at the expense of other newbies who do not share your experience and expertise, into a sad treatise on why we need to not help people on this Forum.

Well, I apologize to you and your wife.  Do you speak for these other newbies?  How was that determined?  Do these newbies share your expertise and experience?  Have these newbies used the resources you have found here at DJI?  

In the face of such a sidebar, the only possible reaction of reasonable people is to stay the course and continue to help those who come to this Forum with their issues.  We will also continue to share the wonderful experiences we have with this fascinating, new technology.

I truly hope that you will get off your soapbox long enough to join the conversation in a non-confrontational way and apply your impressive credentials to helping others on his Forum just as others with equally impressive credentials are doing here daily.

We are dealing with cutting edge technology in a rapidly expanding field and every contribution to the effort of preserving the fun we engage in is greatly appreciated.  DJI was coming out with a revolution every six months there for a while.  Please join us on this journey.  I am sure you and your wife will find that we are a fun bunch with big hearts.  And do not worry about me.  I am just a blow-hard, but a blow-hard with a big heart (or try to be).

BTW, your recent "drone afraid of heights", (I like that) event has a settings solution and an administrative solution.  If you have not solved it yet, you can PM me (Personal Message, under my Avatar), and clear up your Phantom's trepidation.

But, the best part is your last sentence.  We have been saying that for the last nine months at least.  You have no idea how your comment is appreciated!  Right off the bat, you nailed it.  It is very helpful in dealing with the problem Joe is trying to address.  But, that alone is a very lengthy conversation.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-25
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

At the top of each relevant forum could be listed the current firmawre values for that model. Perhaps I am not as active as RHP, well n owadays I am not as active as a snail, but I would find it easier to look there rather than go to another website.
2017-8-25
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Just tried to upvote too but that is blocked for me for some reason. Add my number in someone please.
2017-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe we need an archive section, give certain topics an amount of time to run through , then archive and close them, the necessary information in those topics will still be there for those looking for it.
2017-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-25 01:31
RHP - you are fully aware of DJI policy on this site .... its why other non DJI controlled forums are wider ranging in their information and content.

And as we have 'sparred' on various occasions ..... covering sarcasm / bad manners with Smilies doesn't work for many ...

Yes, and you can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still eventually become back bacon and pork sausage...

As I sit here patiently waiting to hear from friends in Texas... What is your main point?

Bad manners can be avoided, by ignoring those who hate. Simple.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I am always amazed at the sidelining you do RHP ... honest ... rarely actually answering directly .... covering unfriendly remarks with smilies ....

Must take years of practice ...

Nigel
2017-8-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

One of the problems and it happens in ALL forums .... people do not check the date / age of a thread before posting to it. I have to admit that I have done this on many occasions ..
There is also the matter of sometimes its worth resurrecting a thread even on old subject - if there is value to your post.

Not everyone updates their FW ... not everyone updates their APP's .... so relevance is related to what a person has on their equipment.

But it is a good idea for DJI to consider a section purely on latest FW etc. to allow all to see the items.

I would also like to add something :

It would be good if DJI would follow many others lead and actually state clearly the changes / modifications / improvements to each update of GO / FW ... instead of the hard to find 'snippets' we get.
Even Microsoft actually tell you what changes ... as do most other ...

If we had better info about updates - then a better decision to use or not use can be made - instead of basing on pros and cons of people posting ... where individual competence in updating can affect seriously the results.

Nigel
2017-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You might want to check your firmware versions in the Go app, under About.

That gives you a better idea about doing any future updates.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-26 00:10
I am always amazed at the sidelining you do RHP ... honest ... rarely actually answering directly .... covering unfriendly remarks with smilies ....

Must take years of practice ...

There are no smilies in the post above. None.

I haven't any for you. Sorry. Chuckles

Yes, sidestepping does take much practice.. A lifetime of duck and weave as well.

Being of much different origins and our upbringing, we will always have a seperate but relevant opinion.
No reason to be angry or upset, in the slightest. Start out on the wrong foot, and your toes get stepped on, far too frequently.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-26
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-26 01:07
There are no smilies in the post above. None.

I haven't any for you. Sorry. Chuckles

As a wise man once said,"  Be cautious, for the toes you step on today may belong to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow ".  Terrifying possibility, that is.
2017-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-8-26 14:02
As a wise man once said,"  Be cautious, for the toes you step on today may belong to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow ".  Terrifying possibility, that is.

You tickle my fancy. Haha
Eh bud, How"s it hanging? Are you getting lots of air time? ;-)

Yes, and I wear steel toed boots with a steel shank in the sole. So I don't wish to trample any feet or tread on ones feelings.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-26
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 22:37

You nailed it on the head.  
2017-8-28
Use props
12Next >