Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
atti mode
1468 24 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

just want to know if your flting AC with RC and it goes into atti mode from gps if you push the pause button on the RC does the drone stop and hover
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5741089 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unfortunately not pause works with gps. As far as I know, maybe someday
2017-8-24
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Hovering in one place requires GPS so it can "know" where it is and hover there.

In ATTI mode if the wind blows your Spark will go with it unless you provide the proper control input to counteract, which is very difficult if you cannot see the Spark.
2017-8-24
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
U.S. Virgin Islands

TranceMist Posted at 2017-8-24 10:26
Hovering in one place requires GPS so it can "know" where it is and hover there.

In ATTI mode if the wind blows your Spark will go with it unless you provide the proper control input to counteract, which is very difficult if you cannot see the Spark.

yea tell me about it is very hard
2017-8-24
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
U.S. Virgin Islands

TMUSVI Posted at 2017-8-24 10:32
yea tell me about it is very hard

unless you can see it
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 294528 ft
United States

TMUSVI Posted at 2017-8-24 10:39
unless you can see it

It's difficult to fly the spark in atti even when you can see it, unless you are a skilled pilot who has practiced flying in atti mode.  Since you can't (presently) set that mode on the spark, you have to practice using another craft.  I use the P3S and occasionally practice atti flying, just so that I can be prepared if I ever lose GPS.

The first time I was forced to fly atti mode, it freaked me out.  I thought I was good, but I realized how much I was relying on gps (pos-mode), and how much practice I really needed.

That's why it is very important to keep the spark in LOS.  A pilot is just begging for bad things to happen if they fly out of sight.
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I get paranoid when I fly my spark out of line of sight .. I avoid it at all cost.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1915335 ft
Netherlands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 11:46
It's difficult to fly the spark in atti even when you can see it, unless you are a skilled pilot who has practiced flying in atti mode.  Since you can't (presently) set that mode on the spark, you have to practice using another craft.  I use the P3S and occasionally practice atti flying, just so that I can be prepared if I ever lose GPS.

The first time I was forced to fly atti mode, it freaked me out.  I thought I was good, but I realized how much I was relying on gps (pos-mode), and how much practice I really needed.

In The Netherlands the pilot must always stay within LOS of it's craft.
And yes, I am somewhat scared of ATTI....
2017-8-24
Use props
ZukySpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

I was flying it right now. At night and at 40 meters high  it enter in atti mode and compass error. The wind is light but it was suficient to fly away my drone 20 meters. Once it was night and it loss compass. The only way to recovery it was driving looking at it. At firts moment i push the drone wrong way and it was getting far just after a few moments i discovery the direction of it... and bring it back... i was not a easy moment... at night above the 30 meters you simple cant check by led where is the spark direction... fly away is a big problem. I will make a dot on this battery to check if this happens only on this battery or is not connected with battery...
IMG_3378.PNG
2017-8-24
Use props
Spaners
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

I fly fpv racing quads, no gps and no self levelling. it is called accro mode.  but if I cant see I cant fly. keep your bird in line of sight is my advice
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

A truth and a trick when entering ATTI.
TRUTH - DJ's ATTI mode is not hard to deal with air craft control. The RC stick which stay at the middle when not touching it keep the aircraft at last altitude which gives pilot less worry about.
TRUTH - In Positioning(GPS) flight controller does position hold for you. So when you let go the sticks the aircraft stays almost where it is. In ATTI you still get help from the flight controller. ATTI means Attitude hold, the aircraft stay leveling in all axis. Without external force it stay where it is,both position and altitude. With external force it try to counter the force to keep leveling. It may move position together with air flow but not as fast as the wind speed.
TRICK-
1)DO NOT BE PANIC.
2)NEVER expect the aircraft to stay still but be EXPECT JUST do not go far away. GET used to controlling the aircraft to fly around the required position. Heading in expect direction at expected speed
Slightly moving RIGHT stick to control direction and speed to keep it flying AROUND.
2017-8-24
Use props
ZukySpark
Second Officer
Portugal

Try it with a bit of wind and you will see the..."stays almost where it is" in that 3 seconds it moved 10-20 meters...
2017-8-24
Use props
larrymull
lvl.4
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 11:46

So when flying in ATTI mode if i use the controller to go forward does it go forward, or if i try and turn left does it turn left? Or is it confused on which way it should go and left may well be right?
2017-8-24
Use props
ZukySpark
Second Officer
Portugal

Why is a error on imu connected with compass error? Is the same piece hardware? Why it happens?
IMG_3407.PNG
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 294528 ft
United States

larrymull Posted at 2017-8-24 15:10
So when flying in ATTI mode if i use the controller to go forward does it go forward, or if i try and turn left does it turn left? Or is it confused on which way it should go and left may well be right?

I'm speaking from the experience of the P3S, I can't claim to have any experience piloting the spark when it's in atti mode.

On the P3S, forward is still forward relative to the craft, left is left, turn right is turn right, etc.  The difference is that the environment also has a say in the flight characteristics, particularly the wind.  If the wind is blowing east, the P3S is getting pushed east unless the pilot counteracts the wind.  If the wind is swirling (yes I've been in that situation), it's a friggin nightmare.  And don't think the wind can't push down or up.

Unless it's a super calm day, the pilot has to constantly contend (and possibly counter-act) environment factors.  It's a whole different level of flying.
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

As I say. In ATTI, forget about position hold and be relaxed. As long as it is flying around it is under control. Gradually bring it back safely. Panic is the cause of crashing in ATTI in most case.
2017-8-24
Use props
larrymull
lvl.4
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-24 16:50
As I say. In ATTI, forget about position hold and be relaxed. As long as it is flying around it is under control. Gradually bring it back safely. Panic is the cause of crashing in ATTI in most case.

Good to know, I guess the spark is so hard to see in the sky especially if it is out flying over 300-500+ metres. However, I always roughly know where the spark is even in LOS so that can help I am sure. I just hope I never experience this but it is good to know what to do in case this situation occurs.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1915335 ft
Netherlands

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-24 16:50

Thanks, I sure hope I will be able to.
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

@larrymull. You still have luck to have video feed. You can still see where you are and if you can remember the terrain you can still fly back. Just keep Spark in the air at safe level, you can bring it back eventually. But if looking at video feed you still do not know where you are and which direction to head to go back, then look downward and find a safe place to land. Remember any landmark that you can use to search at later time:
2017-8-24
Use props
fanse9637474
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46923 ft
United Kingdom

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-8-24 15:17
Why is a error on imu connected with compass error? Is the same piece hardware? Why it happens?

This happened to me the other day and it was windy. Straight after take off I got all these errors despite waiting for a strong GPS lock as always.  There was no way I could control it and I lost my spark - am waiting for DJI to get back to me. Needless to say, I am really upset.
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

I cannot remember if this IMU Exception ever happened to anybody with .0500 firmware. But I have seen this more often with those updated to .0600 firmware. There were flyaway cases with .0500 related to compass error. It might have no relationship but the Spark noresponding to stick commands after the sequence of compass and IMU error seems to be a pattern. Probably the flight controller was executing unplanned instruction sets. Let DJI examine. They may come up with another update soon if there are enough number of incident.
2017-8-24
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-8-24 15:17

the compass heading and gps heading are two different calculations that the IMU uses to determine its position and direction of travel.  because the GPS is electronic based and is not affected by magnetic interference, when the AC encounters a magnetic interference in flight, the compass can be pointing one way while the gps says the AC is pointing and traveling a different way.  because the spark doesn't have redundant dual IMUs like the larger drones, it doesn't have a "fall back" for determining which is the correct data, and has to default to atti mode to prevent it crashing itself from using bad data to fly.  

what makes things even more difficult, is that several of the fail safes you use to orient yourself and return the craft to you when you fly out of LOS are lost when the craft goes into atti mode.  your location on the map is no longer being updated, and you lose your compass heading, so you can't determine where the drone is in relation to you unless you know the terrain and landmarks around where you're flying.  

my best if you lose gps while flying where you can't see the aircraft (which you shouldn't be doing, but many do) is to immediately orient yourself with which direction is "home" and then point the camera at the ground so you can see which direction you're drifting, and start making tracks for home.  some people have been able to chase their spark as its drifting on the wind long enough to regain p mode and get the spark back.  it seems the mistake people make when losing p-mode is not flying the aircraft.  i saw one youtube video where a guy lost p-mode mid flight and the only input the gives is to descend, even though the aircraft is obviously moving via the fpv video, he doesn't try to counteract the drifting.  never stop flying the aircraft!
2017-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5741089 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-24 23:48
I cannot remember if this IMU Exception ever happened to anybody with .0500 firmware. But I have seen this more often with those updated to .0600 firmware. There were flyaway cases with .0500 related to compass error. It might have no relationship but the Spark noresponding to stick commands after the sequence of compass and IMU error seems to be a pattern. Probably the flight controller was executing unplanned instruction sets. Let DJI examine. They may come up with another update soon if there are enough number of incident.

If there is conflict between gps and compass you will always get Imu heading warning, and it was present in almost all so called fly always.
2017-8-25
Use props
ZukySpark
Second Officer
Portugal

TexasAerials Posted at 2017-8-25 04:49
the compass heading and gps heading are two different calculations that the IMU uses to determine its position and direction of travel.  because the GPS is electronic based and is not affected by magnetic interference, when the AC encounters a magnetic interference in flight, the compass can be pointing one way while the gps says the AC is pointing and traveling a different way.  because the spark doesn't have redundant dual IMUs like the larger drones, it doesn't have a "fall back" for determining which is the correct data, and has to default to atti mode to prevent it crashing itself from using bad data to fly.  

what makes things even more difficult, is that several of the fail safes you use to orient yourself and return the craft to you when you fly out of LOS are lost when the craft goes into atti mode.  your location on the map is no longer being updated, and you lose your compass heading, so you can't determine where the drone is in relation to you unless you know the terrain and landmarks around where you're flying.  

That a good explanation... in my case i was flying it at night so it was dificult to check the leds (orientation ) of the spark and the image quality was almost black once it was night...

On the flight log, 2 second before the error occurs i can detect the drone position was moving with any input of the remote... seems  it is getting confused and then enter in conflit and atti mode...and fly away...
2017-8-25
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-8-25 06:57
That a good explanation... in my case i was flying it at night so it was dificult to check the leds (orientation ) of the spark and the image quality was almost black once it was night...

On the flight log, 2 second before the error occurs i can detect the drone position was moving with any input of the remote... seems  it is getting confused and then enter in conflit and atti mode...and fly away...

mine did the same thing, i took off, and as i was climbing it dropped into atti mode and back to gps a couple times and then finally ditched gps altogether and stayed in atti mode, which was when it started drifting with the (rather stiff) breeze.  luckily it was right in front of me and i was able to keep it out of the trees, bring it down and reboot the spark.  unfortunately i had bumped a button and switched to fpv mode instead of follow mode and had thought that the wind was too much for the camera gimble and cut my flying short.  
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules