Spark Lost GPS and crash after lates firmware update.
1904 13 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6cc2f1bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168376 ft
Sweden

Did the first flight today after updating to the new firmware yesterday. it ended in a crash and a damage drone.
After the firmware update i calibrate the drone before take off. I took off and it seems to work but suddenly it was unable to control it.

Since i have moved a bit from the home point i tried to land it safe on the road where i was standing but since I wasn't able to control it proper it crashed into a big brick wall.

I have made an RMA and will send it for repair tomorrow. But have any one else have problem withe GPS and controlling the dron after the firmware update?
2017-8-24
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

I'm sorry for your crash!... I think i did more then 20km with the new FW and had no problems!...
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry to hear about your crash.  Maybe the brickwall had rebar in it causing the loss of GPS or maybe the structure blocked GPS transmission.  Check your flight log to see what may have caused it
2017-8-24
Use props
Tobwe
lvl.1
Sweden

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-24 10:56
sorry to hear about your crash.  Maybe the brickwall had rebar in it causing the loss of GPS or maybe the structure blocked GPS transmission.  Check your flight log to see what may have caused it

I dont think the wall have anything todo with the lost gps signal. Since it lost the signal several times on the way down and during that time the drone had absolutely clear sight.
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Tobwe Posted at 2017-8-24 11:01
I dont think the wall have anything todo with the lost gps signal. Since it lost the signal several times on the way down and during that time the drone had absolutely clear sight.

fair, just an assumption based on what I read .. reading between the lines ...
2017-8-24
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Can you please upload yout flight log to phantomhelp?

http://phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

maybe whe can find what happened.
2017-8-24
Use props
Tobwe
lvl.1
Sweden

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-24 11:53
Can you please upload yout flight log to phantomhelp?

http://phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

File uploaded.
Flight log
2017-8-24
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Tobwe Posted at 2017-8-24 12:15
File uploaded.
Flight log

Your drone compass really went crazy midflight.

In my opnion this is what may happened: You do the compass calibration on a bad place with some type of magnetic interference, after calibration the Spark take off "thinking" that the bad compass calibration parameters you got from calibration are the good parameters, and when spark starts to move away from the bad magnetic place, the bad parameters stop to be the "good parameters" to be the bad parameters, because spark are now on a interference free place away from you, thats why sparks compass went crazy when are away from you, the interference free place away from you compass parameters are complete diferent from the
parameters of calibration you do on magnetic inference place. (remember, its not just rebar or iron that makes magnetic interference, even you phone if are close enough can interfere during compass calibration).

And why take a while to compass start to give errors? If you look at compass menu, it has a tolerance level until start to warning the user and goes into atti ( green, yellow and red level).

I just dont know why you cant controll the drone, on atti you should have controll. Or the bad compass makes drone orientation crazy and dont respond to controlls , or you dont make stick movements hard enough to make spark respond ( on atti you realy need to push hard sticks)

Sorry for my english, its not my first language.

2017-8-24
Use props
Tobwe
lvl.1
Sweden

I've have never had this problem before the firmware update. And has always done the compass calibration at the same spot home without any problems.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This looks like a beautiful place to fly, but if the spark were to ditch in the forest...  that might be challenging to find.

A few observations...  Takeoff point seems to be a bit higher than it's eventual landing site.  It looks like you have LOS to the landing point from the launch point, but there do appear to be maybe one fence which could obstruct the view.

Do you have any experience flying in atti mode with anything?  If not, then I have a guess as to what happened.  The following is a fictional account based on real events (yours mixed with mine):

Once your drone lost GPS, you went to atti mode.  Looks like it was still responsive to sticks, but the flight was erratic.  You gained gps but lost it again during flight.  If winds are even moderate, and if you've not the experience, it would feel that you've hardly any control over your craft (when in fact you do have control, but without any experience it would be very challenging to fly).  As you are trying to control your craft, and as you find that it isn't responding like you are use to, adrenaline starts pumping through your system.  Your heart is pounding.  Your fine motor skills are reduced, and tiny movements of finger are fighting that surge of adrenaline.   Keeping the craft under control has become even more challenging.  The last part of the decent seems to have recovered gps, but it's almost 200 feet away, with some obstacles present (walls).  Given the distance, given the adrenaline, even with GPS gained the craft is difficult to control, and drone meets wall.

As stated above, that's a fictional account of what I think could have happened to you based on my real life experiences.
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

4th flyaway cases with new firmware.
2017-8-24
Use props
bapski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56171 ft
United States

Will keep note of this
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the crash accident, please send in the drone at your most convenience, we will have data analysis team to try their best to analyze the reason of the accident and provide proper resolution, no worries, sorry again for the trouble caused.
2017-8-24
Use props
fb5b
New
Australia

I just ran the new firmware on my spark (which had been flawless on the original firmware) and it was diabolical. Unusable almost, kept saying interference, video was effectively unviewable, jumbled pixels, I gave up and packed it before I binned the damn thing. Will be doing the logs tonight and maybe get an answer, but it's VERY disappointing.  Never had this trouble with my Yuneec.
2017-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules