Notification to the airports
1171 5 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CasanovaRecords
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44472 ft
United States

What is the best way to provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, whenflying within 5 miles of an airport? When I can the airport what do I say?

2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have read the regulations, the analysis of the regulations, and the interpretations of the regulations.  I have not taken or passed my Part 107 test yet, and I'm not as experienced as many participants of this forum, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

You SHOULD contact the airport (AND TOWER IF PRESENT!!!!) before every flight.  I know that not everyone does this, but that's the regulation.

Most of the time I get to an answering machine.  Sometimes I get a real human.  Either way, here's my "script".

---start of script---
Hi, my name is Charles Adams, and I'm a drone hobbyist.  FAA regulations require that I inform you of my intent to fly my drone if I'm within 5 miles of your airport.  I intend to fly on <date> at roughly <time> for <x> hours/minutes.  I will be flying at <some description of location>, I will be flying below 400 feet.  If you have any concerns or questions, or wish to instruct me to not fly for any reason, please call me at <phone number>.
---end of script---

Note that I'm not asking permission, though they in fact have the authority to tell me to not fly.  I'm informing them of my "intent" to fly, and I'm giving them the opportunity to exercise their rightful authority.

Occasionally the number just rings or is disconnected (if it's a private pad or port, this can happen).  The interpretations I've read on the law is that as long as I have made an effort to contact the airport, that is all that is required.  I do not actually have to succeed in making contact.  This is other's legal analysis that I have chosen to adopt.  This is not necessarily the actual law.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here in The Netherlands we are not allowed to fly at all nearby airports, but these little planes don't stick to the no-fly zone I noticed.
So I called the airport and asked for the tower.  
Here I asked what height they would normally fly here.
Just so that I can stay (well) below.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

P.S.  I use this online site to find and identify the contact information for the airports and/or towers:  https://www.aopa.org/airports/

2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

good luck with contacting the airport control tower.  
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-24 12:04
good luck with contacting the airport control tower.

None of my airports in my neighborhood (4) have towers.  Two hospital pads, one private club airstrip, and one privately owned helipad.  I have surmised that it would be extremely difficult to actually make human contact calling a tower (that's just a guess), but I think that the site I provided does list tower contact information if it exists.

The interpretation that I've adopted is that as long as I make a good faith effort to make contact, that I've fulfilled my obligation to the regulations.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules